+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9,884
    Thanks
    3,045
    Thanked
    5,849
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

    Default Cheap domestic flights?

    I'm booking flights for late next week to visit my bestie (only decided yesterday) and I'm noticing the prices have gone up since yesterday (dang it!).

    Any tips/websites for snaring good prices?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    6,869
    Thanks
    4,776
    Thanked
    4,210
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

    Default Cheap domestic flights?

    where are you flying from/to? some locations are always more expensive.

    have you got any loyalty reward points you can use to lessen the impact on your wallet?

    flying at this time of year is always $$$. have a look at tiger (if you're game lol) and jet star even (although I don't usually find them that cheap overall). also don't write off qantas as being too expensive, they often have the red e-deals that you can snap up a good bargain on.

    good luck!

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

    Mod-Degrassi  (05-12-2015)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9,884
    Thanks
    3,045
    Thanked
    5,849
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    where are you flying from/to? some locations are always more expensive.

    have you got any loyalty reward points you can use to lessen the impact on your wallet?

    flying at this time of year is always $$$. have a look at tiger (if you're game lol) and jet star even (although I don't usually find them that cheap overall). also don't write off qantas as being too expensive, they often have the red e-deals that you can snap up a good bargain on.

    good luck!
    Newcastle to Brisbane return.

    I have no loyalty points or anything.

    Are there specific days of the week that are generally cheaper to fly?

  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    4,786
    Thanks
    1,021
    Thanked
    2,246
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Lately I have been travelling with Qantas and I have found them reasonably priced for Domestic flights. But then I couldn't bring myself to book a tiger flight...lol.
    I always just book through the airline directly online. I have checked other sites but they always seem to have the exact same fairs as the airlines do. I don't understand when people say it's cheaper to book through other websites like webjet etc.. maybe I'm not using the right sites.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

    Mod-Degrassi  (05-12-2015)

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    6,869
    Thanks
    4,776
    Thanked
    4,210
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

    Default Cheap domestic flights?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    Newcastle to Brisbane return.

    I have no loyalty points or anything.

    Are there specific days of the week that are generally cheaper to fly?
    I find mid-week (like Tuesday and Wednesday) can usually be a bit cheaper. weekends are hands down always more expensive.

    ok crazy idea, and not sure it would even work, but what about getting a lift/train into Sydney and flying from there? Sydney-Brisbane might be cheaper as it'd be a bigger plane and more people going. our flights from Melb to Sunshine Coast were quite exy as the destination is not a major city. dh suggested if we go again, we just fly to Brisbane then drive the 1.5 hours up to noosa in a rental car. not ideal but just another idea for you
    Last edited by turquoisecoast; 05-12-2015 at 10:10.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

    Mod-Degrassi  (05-12-2015)

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    6,869
    Thanks
    4,776
    Thanked
    4,210
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Lately I have been travelling with Qantas and I have found them reasonably priced for Domestic flights. But then I couldn't bring myself to book a tiger flight...lol.
    I always just book through the airline directly online. I have checked other sites but they always seem to have the exact same fairs as the airlines do. I don't understand when people say it's cheaper to book through other websites like webjet etc.. maybe I'm not using the right sites.
    all this.

    I've used webjet once and it ended up being quite $$$ with all the extra fees and charges. like you, I'm obviously doing it all wrong as I've never found a cheaper deal using those flight search websites. I've always just booked with the airline direct online and usually find a good deal.

    ditto tiger. I've never flown with them and I'm too scared to! 😂

    we always use qantas (and jetstar if absolutely necessary) as we have the points that we can use. I also like virgin but haven't flown with them for ages.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

    Mod-Degrassi  (05-12-2015)

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,521
    Thanks
    1,318
    Thanked
    1,574
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I always check webjet for the cheapest then go to the airline site to buy them. Virgin has a happy hour every day. In the past I have searched premium econ or business and scored cheaper tix

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

    Mod-Degrassi  (05-12-2015)

  13. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,057
    Thanks
    2,308
    Thanked
    1,390
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I use webjet to find the cheapest flight, then go to the airline's website and book it direct. Webjet charges all sorts of stupid fees.

    I've used Tiger a few times and haven't had any issues. They are crazy cheap but only fly main routes.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

    Mod-Degrassi  (05-12-2015)

  15. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    9,884
    Thanks
    3,045
    Thanked
    5,849
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    I find mid-week (like Tuesday and Wednesday) can usually be a bit cheaper. weekends are hands down always more expensive.

    ok crazy idea, and not sure it would even work, but what about getting a lift/train into Sydney and flying from there? Sydney-Brisbane might be cheaper as it'd be a bigger plane and more people going. our flights from Melb to Sunshine Coast were quite exy as the destination is not a major city. dh suggested if we go again, we just fly to Brisbane then drive the 1.5 hours up to noosa in a rental car. not ideal but just another idea for you
    Good suggestion - if it was just me travelling I would look into that, but I'm taking DS with me so I want to keep the trip straightforward as possible.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

    turquoisecoast  (05-12-2015)

  17. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    3,165
    Thanks
    2,773
    Thanked
    2,282
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I fly tiger! Never had an issue- join their FB page so you know when the specials are on.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post:

    Mod-Degrassi  (05-12-2015)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Refund for flights
    By MrsMummaButterfly in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 27-07-2015, 06:07
  2. snacks and drinks for kids on flights.
    By emma26 in forum General Travelling with Kids Tips
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-06-2015, 17:16
  3. Cheap flights and prams
    By SAgirl in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-05-2015, 05:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
WaterWipes
Give your babies bottom a gift this Xmas! They are the only wipe made using just water and a drop of grapefruit seed extract and may help avoid nappy rash. Check out the great reviews on bubhub and see our website for more info and availability.
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
henry and grace
Summer Cool. We are the only brand in the world to use ultrafine Merino wool to produce the finest, softest & most luxurious garments whilst keeping mum and bub cool and dry. Wear them multiple times before machine washing-hard to believe, but true.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!