+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Cheap domestic flights?

I'm booking flights for late next week to visit my bestie (only decided yesterday) and I'm noticing the prices have gone up since yesterday (dang it!).

Any tips/websites for snaring good prices?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

where are you flying from/to? some locations are always more expensive.

have you got any loyalty reward points you can use to lessen the impact on your wallet?

flying at this time of year is always $$$. have a look at tiger (if you're game lol) and jet star even (although I don't usually find them that cheap overall). also don't write off qantas as being too expensive, they often have the red e-deals that you can snap up a good bargain on.

good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (05-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    where are you flying from/to? some locations are always more expensive.

have you got any loyalty reward points you can use to lessen the impact on your wallet?

flying at this time of year is always $$$. have a look at tiger (if you're game lol) and jet star even (although I don't usually find them that cheap overall). also don't write off qantas as being too expensive, they often have the red e-deals that you can snap up a good bargain on.

good luck!
    Newcastle to Brisbane return.

I have no loyalty points or anything.

Are there specific days of the week that are generally cheaper to fly?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Lately I have been travelling with Qantas and I have found them reasonably priced for Domestic flights. But then I couldn't bring myself to book a tiger flight...lol.
    I always just book through the airline directly online. I have checked other sites but they always seem to have the exact same fairs as the airlines do. I don't understand when people say it's cheaper to book through other websites like webjet etc.. maybe I'm not using the right sites.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Janesmum123 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    Newcastle to Brisbane return.

I have no loyalty points or anything.

Are there specific days of the week that are generally cheaper to fly?
    I find mid-week (like Tuesday and Wednesday) can usually be a bit cheaper. weekends are hands down always more expensive.

ok crazy idea, and not sure it would even work, but what about getting a lift/train into Sydney and flying from there? Sydney-Brisbane might be cheaper as it'd be a bigger plane and more people going. our flights from Melb to Sunshine Coast were quite exy as the destination is not a major city. dh suggested if we go again, we just fly to Brisbane then drive the 1.5 hours up to noosa in a rental car. not ideal but just another idea for you
    Last edited by turquoisecoast; 05-12-2015 at 10:10.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    Lately I have been travelling with Qantas and I have found them reasonably priced for Domestic flights. But then I couldn't bring myself to book a tiger flight...lol.
    I always just book through the airline directly online. I have checked other sites but they always seem to have the exact same fairs as the airlines do. I don't understand when people say it's cheaper to book through other websites like webjet etc.. maybe I'm not using the right sites.
    all this.

I've used webjet once and it ended up being quite $$$ with all the extra fees and charges. like you, I'm obviously doing it all wrong as I've never found a cheaper deal using those flight search websites. I've always just booked with the airline direct online and usually find a good deal.

ditto tiger. I've never flown with them and I'm too scared to! 😂

we always use qantas (and jetstar if absolutely necessary) as we have the points that we can use. I also like virgin but haven't flown with them for ages.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always check webjet for the cheapest then go to the airline site to buy them. Virgin has a happy hour every day. In the past I have searched premium econ or business and scored cheaper tix

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ngaiz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use webjet to find the cheapest flight, then go to the airline's website and book it direct. Webjet charges all sorts of stupid fees.

I've used Tiger a few times and haven't had any issues. They are crazy cheap but only fly main routes.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    I find mid-week (like Tuesday and Wednesday) can usually be a bit cheaper. weekends are hands down always more expensive.

ok crazy idea, and not sure it would even work, but what about getting a lift/train into Sydney and flying from there? Sydney-Brisbane might be cheaper as it'd be a bigger plane and more people going. our flights from Melb to Sunshine Coast were quite exy as the destination is not a major city. dh suggested if we go again, we just fly to Brisbane then drive the 1.5 hours up to noosa in a rental car. not ideal but just another idea for you
    Good suggestion - if it was just me travelling I would look into that, but I'm taking DS with me so I want to keep the trip straightforward as possible.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (05-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I fly tiger! Never had an issue- join their FB page so you know when the specials are on.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to CakeyMumma For This Useful Post: