+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Coughing

My DS (almost 2) has started to cough about 3/4 days ago, it sounds bad, like phlegmy and hoarse, but the thing is, he doesn't cough all day long or even much during the night... I find it weird too that he doesn't have a fever, no runny nose, no sneezing etc. so not at all like a cold.

I've never heard of that... Could it be asthma or something?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son has asthma and this is exactly what happens- I'd make a doctors appointment for him x

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS has the same cough! Its been hanging around for about 2-3 weeks now. I took him to the dr as I suspected asthma and she checked him out and said its a virus that they're calling the "100 day cough"....sounds great!
    I noticed quite a few of the other kids at his daycare seem to have it too.

Definitely get him checked out, as asthma can be so dangerous if not treated. But hopefully it's just this virus that's going around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I will preface this with: please see your GP if you are concerned. (I'm a doctor, but I cannot diagnose over BubHub).

There can be many reasons for a cough in young children. Often you need to see how it plays out.

A mild viral illness can cause a prolonged cough (which may take weeks to resolve). This is due to irritation of the nerve endings in the walls of the bronchi/bronchioles (the "tubes" of the lungs). Your child may have a low-grade fever, or may develop a fever. Or may not.

Pneumonia generally causes a cough, but the child is more likely to be "unwell" (high fever, listless, off his food, etc).

Croup usually presents with a dry, "barking" cough (which sounds like a seal). Coughing in croup is typically worse at night, when temperatures are cooler.

Bronchiolitis (inflammation of the small airways), whether due to infection or another inflammatory process, can cause coughing. This is often a pre-cursor to asthma, but not always. Doctors generally avoid making a diagnosis of asthma before the age of 2...it is important to establish the triggers and symptoms, and not every infant with bronchiolitis will go on to develop asthma. The same drugs are often used, but the passage of time is needed to provide a true diagnosis of asthma, as well as proper lung function tests. Children need to be old enough to give a proper result with respiratory testing.

Another cause of coughing is an inhaled foreign body. For example, an inhaled small toy, coin or bit of food. Small children are notorious for this!

So as you can see, there are many causes. If he is not unwell, or struggling to breathe, then it's most likely you will need to see what happens over the next few days. But as I say to all parents, if you are worried, take him to your GP or ED.
    Cough-suppressants are usually not used in young children, but you could try more basic remedies such as Vicks vapour-rub, or one of those Euky-bear inhalants-machines.

Hope this makes sense

Sent from my SM-N910G using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J37 For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (05-12-2015),PomPoms  (05-12-2015),Wise Enough  (06-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all, I've given him some ventolin to see if it helps as he is sounding very hoarse and crackly/wheezy.

He is otherwise fairly happy, not coughing continuously and he did eat his dinner etc.

Will see how he goes overnight and take him to GP or ED if he worsens.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Id be incline to get a whooping cough test tbh but ive recently had close contact with FOUR kids who tested + to whooping cough who only had a persistent cough and thats it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    My DS has the same cough! Its been hanging around for about 2-3 weeks now. I took him to the dr as I suspected asthma and she checked him out and said its a virus that they're calling the "100 day cough"....sounds great!
    I noticed quite a few of the other kids at his daycare seem to have it too.

Definitely get him checked out, as asthma can be so dangerous if not treated. But hopefully it's just this virus that's going around.
    This is my boy right now.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Coughing

My 2.5 year old daughter had a cough much the same that hung around for 5 -6 weeks. Phlegmy but not all day. Just parts of the day and night. Random. Turns out it was pneumonia. Please have it checked out just in case x

Thanks
    Reviews
    @SAgirl, how is your little boy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by J37 View Post
    @SAgirl, how is your little boy?

He is ok thanks, we had the vaporiser on last night and he didn't cough much at all, also gave him some ventolin before bed so think that helped. He's been ok today, he still has the cough, but still not coughing all day long, only 2/3 times. Still quite phlegmy and hoarse though.