+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default There is no such thing as sleep associations

My daughter Eva is nearly 7 months old. We had a terrible time with her sleep. She is medicated for reflux and has been diagnosed by her immunologist as intolerant to cows milk protein. Before we worked that out my milk was upsetting her. I've done and do everything you are not "supposed" to do, rocking her to sleep, feeding her to sleep (most nights), driving, pram.. All of it.

Five months came and still no waking hourly, we had a couple of weeks of hell around that age but she gradually got better. Now she is either sleeping through or waking up for one feed most nights, barring the odd random bad night. She's only 6kg so feeding overnight once jf needed is perfectly reasonable. I don't thin it proves or disproves anything but there it is. I think a lot has to do with their personalities.
    Last edited by Leksie5000; 06-12-2015 at 13:09.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Leksie5000 For This Useful Post:

Lilahh  (08-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dd1- I Read all the sleep books and made sure there were no "negative" sleep associations- self settled, no dummy or feeding/patting/rocking etc to sleep. Continued to wake 2-3 hourly at night for a long long long time. Didn't consistently start sleeping through until 2.5 years.

Dd2- only 5 weeks old. Fed/patted/cuddled to sleep at the moment and since 3 weeks of age does a 4-5 hour stretch at night. A good night she only wakes twice to feed.

Interpret that how you wish.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Lilahh  (08-12-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (06-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies and varied experiences. My ds2 has Been fully weaned for over a week and goes to sleep in his cot wide awake with no help from a parent. Yet he has woken every night for hours on end at a time. Flies in the face of everything sleep training promises.

he is nearly 15 months.
    Last edited by Lilahh; 08-12-2015 at 09:14.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    Thanks for the replies and varied experiences. My ds2 has Been fully weaned for over a week and goes to sleep in his cot wide awake with no help from a parent. Yet he has woken every night for hours on end at a time. Flies in the face of everything sleep training promises.

he is nearly 15 months.
    Well done on the weaning! Seems like perhaps he's not tired enough to sleep all night? Maybe he's ready for just 1 sleep?

I've just fully weaned DS a week and a half ago and also put him on 1 nap (at 11:30) and he's sleep in through every second of third night, but he still wakes once or twice on the other nights. But he goes back to sleep with a quick cuddle then a pat on the bum in his cot.

Every time though he's squirming around and farting so I know he's uncomfortable which is why he's waking.

So even though text book, goes to sleep with no sleep associations, babies usually sleep through, if when your bub comes out of each sleep cycle and there's something not quite right, he will fully wake and call out. So they can either be hungry, or uncomfortable or just not tired enough to get back to sleep. In your case I would think maybe not tired enough if cuddles don't soothe him back to sleep (or at least calm enough to again self settle).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post

he is nearly 15 months.
    How long is his day nap?

Thanks
    Reviews
    He has been on one nap for about 6 weeks now. He usually has about 2-3 hours.