+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I sleep really poorly if there isn't another adult with me (namely DH). Guess I have terrible sleep associations 😏

My kids have never really had tangible things to help them sleep, but they have been rocked, patted, boobed, and co-slept. Both sleep through and only wake to go to the toilet. They're 3 & 5.

ETA: I also sleep way better with the fan on and used to only be able to sleep with white noise. It's not just babies who have sleep associations!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (05-12-2015),Lilahh  (08-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My youngest DSS was three when I first knew him and he slept through with no blankie/dummy/toy. Not sure if that helps...

Thanks
    Reviews
    [
    ETA: I also sleep way better with the fan on and used to only be able to sleep with white noise. It's not just babies who have sleep associations![/QUOTE]

OMG yes!!! I got a white noise app to try to help DD sleep when she was a couple of weeks old. Of course it did nothing for her but would send me to sleep in seconds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've got 3x Kids and all have positive and natural sleep associations.

My eldest (5yo) is given a big cuddle and is read a book. My middle child (3yo) is cuddled, read a book. Both girls get tucked in.

My newbie (8wks) is swaddled and fed to sleep.

All natural and positive.

ETA- I have no issues attending to my kids overnight. Currently all three sleep 7.30-6.30am but I do not grudge them if they do wake either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My kids' only sleep associations are their pyjamas and their beds! I really try not to get them attached to one particular thing as it can be a problem if that one thing goes missing (as demonstrated by a PP and many other examples IRL with friends kids).

My kids need only to be put in their beds and kissed goodnight and they fall straight to sleep, and sleep through 10 - 12 hours (age 4 & 8). My DD has slept through from 12 months when I night weaned her. She does have teddies and toys that she sometimes chooses to cuddle to sleep, but it can be a different one each night and it's not an issue if there's no toy available (like if I forget to bring any soft toys to hospital when she has chemo).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (05-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Lilahh, I think I get what you mean. My 2nd and 3rd children were both self settlers, had a comforter etc, and even though we were successful with the self settling they still woke overnight and needed help to get back to sleep. I think most people think that if they go to sleep on their own they will be able to settle back to sleep when they wake in the night, but I haven't found this to be true.
    My 4yo still wakes at least once every night and comes into our bed (not really a problem for me currently) and the 14 month old wakes at least 2x per night and is fed back to sleep, or fed and then resettles himself. Yawn...we will get some uninterrupted sleep one day!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

Lilahh  (08-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have serious dependency on reading before I go to sleep. Trying to nod off without a book first is very difficult. That's been a sleep association for me ever since I started reading!
    My kids do indeed have sleep associations as well, but I think they are just being in a bed with me, low light, and reading a book.
    It is hard when your kids don't sleep through. It will end and until it does, try to take it easy during the day so sleep deprivation doesn't wear you down too badly.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't understand.
    I can guarantee that sleep associations are legit. When DD had a dummy, some nights the second I popped it into her mouth her eyes would roll back and she'd drift off instantly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I definitely believe in sleep associations. My ds still doesn't sleep through every night but it is always due to various reasons. I am actually his sleep association, whether that be cuddling, patting or him stroking my arm. No matter how hard we try nobody else can get him to sleep as he needs me.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default There is no such thing as sleep associations

My son has slept with a dummy since a couple months old and co-slept and nursed the first year of his life. He was a horrible sleeper, wanted to eat every two hours pretty much his whole first year of life (there'd be periods where he went longer but it was every 2 hours more often then not). He would use a dummy to fall asleep but then wouldn't want it the rest of the night. I was in despair about all of the 'sleep associations' but was too exhausted to change it and having him unsettled (cc or CIO) aren't my thing.

At 13 months he completely self-weaned, wanted nothing to do with me anymore and his sleeping gradually got better after that. At about 16 months he mastered walking and literally that first night of mastering it he has slept through the night (6:30/7pm-6 or 7am, sometimes 5.30am thrown in) ever since. He still falls asleep with a dummy and is now 22 months, sleeps in his cot on his own all night, we stopped co-sleeping at about 14 months. For him, I believe sleeping through was developmental (he did it when he was ready and his little brain had chilled out from all the 'mastering' it was doing; crawling, walking, etc) and am really happy I stuck out the first year and let him do it on his own. He may have a sleep association (ie falling asleep with the dummy) but it does not affect his sleeping through.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 06-12-2015 at 00:11.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

harvs  (08-12-2015)