+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Please help me. Please.

This is a bit long.
    I'm new here too (well I set this account up when my second child was a baby... Four years ago)

I have four kids. My youngest, Georgia, is four and a half months old. She started neocate midday yesterday for suspected CMPI after a very long long past ten weeks of trial and error formulas and reflux meds. Prior to this we tried allerpro which made her so bloated and full of wind she couldn't even tolerate her dummy in her mouth. Prior to allerpro she was on novalac colic. When on novalac she would have four-eight days of being the ideal baby. Drinking full bottles, sleeping okay during the day, all night. Happy smiling baby. Then she would for no reason at all stop and it would be what we call hell week. A week of refusing anything more than 50mls. Not sleeping. Grumpy grumpy girl. Nothing changed to cause this, we do meds (losec) at the same time daily. We have a daily consistent routine she's fallen into because of the other kids. It was the hell week and a handful of other symptoms that prompted us to consider CMPI. She has atrocious rashy skin, pale, cradle cap, snuffly plus the severe reflux. So yesterday half day of neocate and today first full day.
    She's miserable! Absolutely miserable. Normal formula during a good period she could inhale 240mls easily. She's taking 130 of neocate at absolute best. Having to be winded every ten mls. She won't sleep more than 20 minutes. She's grumpy and just plain miserable. Even during hell week she was happier than this. I am just at my wits end. My partner works hideous hours (chef) and my family is crap so I'm with four kids six and under and one of them is this miserable baby.
    What am I doing that's wrong? I just don't know how to keep going anymore.
    Is this normal for settling in to neocate? Does it sound like I've done the right thing? Please just anyone. Feeling pretty alone right now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have no experience with formula so will be of no help but I didn't want to read and not reply. That really does sound miserable I hope you get some answers soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another with no experience with formula, but sending Internet hugs. It sounds awful. Can you go back to the GP/paed and talk about what's happened since the change? I don't think you've done anything wrong, sometimes things just need a trial and change til you find the perfect fit. If you haven't seen a paed, it might be worth an urgent referral?

I really hope someone has some great advice for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would ask for different reflux meds maybe? Some kids work on losec some don't. Mine only worked on nexium.

What bottle are you using?

It could be dairy. I would maybe try lactose free formula and regular burping etc we used karicare de lact formula but her skin issues etc speak allergy/intolerance to me good luck Hun and your not doing anything wrong!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Please help me. Please.

I had a DS on neocate (11 years ago now) and your story was ours. To the T. Neocate tastes like crap. Honestly, it's foul. It took our son about three weeks to settle on it and it was awful, waiting for his gut and esophagus to heal (he had a bleeding esophageal ulcer from reflux) and was on losec too. Hang in there. Persist! I found RISA (the refluxing infants support association) a godsend at the time. Give them a Google.
    You can do this. Is does end. And one day you will be giving others encouragement with a snoozing 11 year old in the next room too, both of you survivors! Xx

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ElizaDoLittle For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (05-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our story was very similar to yours. I tried lots of different formulas and once we tried neonate my Dd screamed for hours on end. My pead said to stick with it and within 10ish days she settled right down.

Maybe discuss medication with your paediatrician... We tried Zantac and then losec but all that worked was a Zantac/losec combination. Also as pp said there is other medication.

If you think gas may be an issue - you can try infacol... We just used a tiny bit straight before a feed and the belches she used to do after a feed... My goodness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you seeing a paediatrician? Are they supervising/recommending all the changes to formula? We had problems with reflux and intolerance too with our daughter. She was on losec from about 8 weeks. Are you using the tablet form? The compound liquid mixture loses its effectiveness after 1-2wks out of the 4 weeks. We ended up using aptimal AR then the paed put her on a prescription formula but it wasn't neocate. She screamed for hours and refused feeds so the paed told us to stop it immediately. We went back to aptimal AR but she improved the most on goat milk formula + losec. When she moved to cows milk we still had problems with tummy upsets and ezcema so she's on lactose free milk & yoghurt. It's so hard trying to work out what to feed your baby and look after other children with no support. I hope you find something that works for you and bub soon.