+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Birthday parties for school/kindy friends

How much do you budget per gift and do you limit the amount of parties your child can attend?

My DD has been to so many parties these last two years and it's worrying me as my boys are growing older and they'll be invited to parties the costs are going to spiral out of control.

We've previously had a $20 limit with homemade card and generic wrapping paper (a roll that we can use for multiple presents rather than buying those individual rectangle pieces of wrapping).

But I'm considering imposing a 3 party limit per year per child. We are trying to reign in our spending next year.

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    $20/gift per party if it's daycare/kindy. And we only go to their actual friends. Not whole class parties unless it's their friend in the first place.

Eta. This year. Dd 1 has been to 2 daycare parties and 3 kindy parties.
    Dd2 has been to 2x daycare parties

Both girls have been to 5 mothers group kids parties and 4 family friends kids parties plus 3 family (kids) parties. These ones I'd never say no to unless it clashed with family events.

Eta#2 - maybe have an order of priority of what parties you would attend??
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 04-12-2015 at 14:52.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I buy things when they're on special and put them in a present box. At the moment it's things from Smiggle which is super popular with 5 & 7 y/o girls. It has pencils, textas and pens at the moment, plus some notebooks from Kmart that were $3 each. My limit is $15 per present if I have to buy something if the present box is bare or nothing appropriate. Often however by buying on special and choosing from the present box the presents work out about $10-$12 each.

I've never considered putting a limit on the parties my DDs attend.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GirlsRock For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (04-12-2015),smallpotatoes  (04-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't put a limit on attending parties, that's no fun but that's just me.
    I buy things on special and keep them in the cupboard.
    I tend to spend about $20 per party but could be less with a good bargain from the party cupboard! $1.00 card and generic paper.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your thoughts. I must admit I'm not sold on the idea of limiting their parties.

Just looking at next years budget and allocating funds and it works out to almost $15-$20/ week for presents for their friends! I don't even get that much for ME 😂

Even limiting to 3 parties each per kid with a $20 limit is $180/year. That's a lot of money. Mmmmm
    Last edited by just her chameleon; 04-12-2015 at 15:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would not put a limit on parties. They are such important social events for school kids IMO.

You will probably find though that the party invites will taper off a bit as the child gets older. Kindy kids tend to have more whole class parties. As they get older they have a limit of say, 10, then as they get older again they often just invite a few friends to go out somewhere. In my experience anyway. So don't panic just yet.

In terms of $, I spend around $15, plus a $1 card and wrap from a roll.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (06-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with CMF, I'm experiencing less parties now DD is getting older (Y2) due to less whole-class type parties and more expensive event parties where parents have to limit numbers.

Plus DD's attitude to her own party has changed each year from whole class (plus others) to all the girls in her class and now to just 5 actual friends.

Besties get a $20 gift, others $10-15. I also have a present box but found it easier to.stock when she was younger.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As someone already mentioned you will find that you wont have as many parties as they get older.
    DD's class went through the girls/boys are yuk phase so that cut the birthdays in half lol, now they seem to understand what/who friends are so they're not wanting to invite everyone.

I also buy things on special that I keep in a box, as they get older this gets a little harder.

I wouldn't be able to limit parties, but that's just me, I tend to go a little ott with birthdays.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Birthday parties definitely fizzle out as kids get older.
    I have a $15-$20 limit for close friends...parties where they are invited simply because they're one of the class I have a $10 limit and usually just get a book or outside chalk or stationery set (K-Mart)...something useful. I figure if there is 20 kids coming then that's 20 presents. That's a nightmare for the parents of the birthday child!
    We attend as many parties as we can. The kids love it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This thread has got me thinking, I've been spending way too much on these birthday presents! I don't even know who many parties we went to this year, but it was a lot, hate to think how much money was spent. I think I'm going to go with a $10 limit for next year.