+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    Sorry to hijack Op, Missbear do you have young kids and if so, how do you find the shift work with them? I'm starting my nursing degree next year and while I'm not worried, I'm curious to know how shift work goes with a young family.
    It doesn't . It's a pain in the ****. I'm an Rn and I really struggled with ds and working when he was small. Most wards have a 7 to 330 shift and a 1 to 930 shift. Unless you have people to help you it can be hard . Unless you get a job in community or with a GP you can get around this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow thank you so much for all the advice everyone! It's pretty much what I was thinking, I ended up enrolling into bachelor of nursing this morning. I think it's the smartest Way to go career wise. And as previous posters have said, I might change my mind or if I don't I can continue and do paramedics.

Don't worry about "hijacking" this post! Ask whatever you like, it's great advice for everyone

At my vic uni there is no double degree.

How did everyone cope with everything you are faced with and see? Do you get used to it? At the moment I feel like I will be fine but sometimes I worry also.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to abby cadabby For This Useful Post:

Moxy  (05-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Im a nurse..and i know heaps of ambos...they all say nursing is wayyy more flexible with home life

5. The Following User Says Thank You to katiana For This Useful Post:

abby cadabby  (11-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    Sorry to hijack Op, Missbear do you have young kids and if so, how do you find the shift work with them? I'm starting my nursing degree next year and while I'm not worried, I'm curious to know how shift work goes with a young family.
    I have 2 preschoolers, used to work in a rural ED. I was lucky to be able to negotiate set shifts originally as I was experienced and they were desperate for permanent staff so I had DS in daycare that opened at 6.30am so that worked for 2 weekday am shifts. Then I got really sick so then picked up casual shifts after but I have super helpful and flexible family who work together on a family farm so we all make it happen. I prefered nights on w/e's so child care was easy and obtained the best pay rate. I then got a job in a clinic so organised set days once again 9-5 so all very civilised hours and have used Family Daycare.

There are family friendly nursing areas depending on your situation like District nursing/ dialysis/ oncology/ community health etc and things like nurse education & school nursing. Good luck with it all.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Missbear For This Useful Post:

Moxy  (05-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How did everyone cope with everything you are faced with and see? Do you get used to it? At the moment I feel like I will be fine but sometimes I worry also.[/QUOTE]

With me once I get gloves on they're no longer 'my' hands so I'm 'fine' to pretty much touch anything!

As for general queasiness you will find there's usually something you will hate but can be different wth all nurses! Some can't handle sputum, others hate spew while poo mite send others running. So whatever ur weakness someone usually can help you but you really do get used to things.

As for things you're faced with as a human it's humbled me and makes me appreciate every minute of every day as life can change in the blink of an eye. I personally treat every patient how I would like my own child/ husband/ parent/ loved one treated. Everyone belongs to someone!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Missbear For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dealing with stuff. Yeah. I really need to debrief when I've had an intense day. We used to go to the pub across the road after a sh!t shift. Now I usually ring on of my friends interstate and just offload. You have to be careful to de-identify though.
    In the moment, I don't really know how I do it, but I just deal. Work Mrs Frosty is way good under pressure. We had a horrific situation at work recently and I kind of ended up taking charge and just doing what needed to be done because my patient needed that. Having a good team helps. Utilise your peer group.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Snowman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    OP I teach in this field. At my Uni paramedic is not simply tacking an extra year onto nursing. It would be a competitive application once you graduate then gaining credit for similar topics. At my Uni they now require all paramedic students to complete a 3 year sequence even if you get credit for topics so there is no way to shorten the time. But that's just my Uni.
    I get a lot of students wanting to get into paramedics as it's highly sought after. It depends which state you're in and whether you're willing to travel as to job prospects. Keep in mind the Uni's are graduating a lot of paramedics these days so by the time you finish there will be a lot of qualified unemployed paramedic graduates out there. The hard thing with that is they're not qualified to do anything else.
    I tell students to follow their dream. If being a paramedic is your dream and nothing else would come close then you must follow that and make the best of it. If you're not sure then I advise students nursing is a great portable career in demand. If you're interested in fast paced acute work then work your way into emergency/critical care nursing. I see a lot of burnout in paramedics, it is generally not a career with a lot of longevity beyond about 10 years (exceptions of course but a lot do leave the profession as it is so physically and mentally intense). Nursing has so many career pathways to follow.
    Some food for thought for you!
    Very interesting I might be at your uni next year if my transfer gets accepted

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    Very interesting I might be at your uni next year if my transfer gets accepted
    What course monnie? It's a small small world 😀

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    And here comes the negative nancy....

Shift work sucks with a family. Unless you have lots of free babysitters for all hours of the night/weekend/holidays.
    RN jobs atm for new grads are not plentiful. At all. There is a huge glut of new grads. There are not enough jobs. I know RN's working in retail.

If you are already an RN, great... you can get a job because you have experience, and in your job you have more flexibility for good hours. But as a newbie? Nup.

Me personally... I've been registered for a year now. The course was a nightmare (the placements). I got knocked back a new grad position despite having amazing references (but 700 applicants for about 60 positions will do that to you). I was lucky that I was working in an aged care facility as an AIN while studying, so that I could have an RN job automatically. However, due to the fact that one semester in to my course my husband up and left and there goes my babysitter and now I can only manage to fit in M-F AM shifts, there are not many of those popular shifts available. So I am only casual and just covering people's holidays etc. Even when I've looked at other aged care facilities, they ask you to be available for "a variety of shifts". It's all just very hard. :/

15. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou for your advice. I don't think you are being a negative Nancy, just sharing your own opinion on your own experiences. I'm sorry it hasn't turned out well for you 😔
    I totally understand how the shift work would be difficult when trying to do it on your own.
    Thankyou for sharing 💛