+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is anyone a PARAMEDIC?? 💉 or a NURSE?

Hi everyone!
    I have just been offered a place at VIC Uni for bachelor of nursing and bachelor of health science paramedics.
    Now I need to make the tough decision of which one to accept. I want to be a paramedic, but I realise that paramedic jobs are hard to come by. I was thinking of doing nursing then paramedics if it was only an extra year. I have called and emailed the Uni and I'm waiting on replies but thought I'd ask here for advice
    TIA 😋😋😋

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yep that. My sister is last year paramedic and there is nothing. Do the nursing and add on paramedic. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou for your reply I just want to make the right decision, turning down paramedics is hard 😬

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Then try your luck. If not tack on nursing at the end of paramedic ??

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a RN if it was my decision I would do straight nursing then do the extra year paramedics after if that's what you still want to do. Nursing is so flexible with so many different specialties there's a spot for pretty much everyone. Once you get on placements and see different things you may not want to be an ambo. I know as an ED nurse there's flexibility to work part time and different areas. There's plenty of jobs and best of all I work in a controlled environment with air con and security guards. I admire the work of paramedics people under estimate how difficult there jobs and conditions really are.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Missbear For This Useful Post:

abby cadabby  (11-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Missbear View Post
    I'm a RN if it was my decision I would do straight nursing then do the extra year paramedics after if that's what you still want to do. Nursing is so flexible with so many different specialties there's a spot for pretty much everyone. Once you get on placements and see different things you may not want to be an ambo. I know as an ED nurse there's flexibility to work part time and different areas. There's plenty of jobs and best of all I work in a controlled environment with air con and security guards. I admire the work of paramedics people under estimate how difficult there jobs and conditions really are.
    Sorry to hijack Op, Missbear do you have young kids and if so, how do you find the shift work with them? I'm starting my nursing degree next year and while I'm not worried, I'm curious to know how shift work goes with a young family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm pregnant with my first, and I've just finished my first year of RN at uni. I actually don't even want to be an RN I want to be a midwife; I'm going to do the 18 month graduate diploma in midwifery after completing my RN. Will give me much better employability and not much longer time in the scheme of things.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsTugs For This Useful Post:

abby cadabby  (11-12-2015),Kazza78  (05-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP I teach in this field. At my Uni paramedic is not simply tacking an extra year onto nursing. It would be a competitive application once you graduate then gaining credit for similar topics. At my Uni they now require all paramedic students to complete a 3 year sequence even if you get credit for topics so there is no way to shorten the time. But that's just my Uni.
    I get a lot of students wanting to get into paramedics as it's highly sought after. It depends which state you're in and whether you're willing to travel as to job prospects. Keep in mind the Uni's are graduating a lot of paramedics these days so by the time you finish there will be a lot of qualified unemployed paramedic graduates out there. The hard thing with that is they're not qualified to do anything else.
    I tell students to follow their dream. If being a paramedic is your dream and nothing else would come close then you must follow that and make the best of it. If you're not sure then I advise students nursing is a great portable career in demand. If you're interested in fast paced acute work then work your way into emergency/critical care nursing. I see a lot of burnout in paramedics, it is generally not a career with a lot of longevity beyond about 10 years (exceptions of course but a lot do leave the profession as it is so physically and mentally intense). Nursing has so many career pathways to follow.
    Some food for thought for you!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    Sorry to hijack Op, Missbear do you have young kids and if so, how do you find the shift work with them? I'm starting my nursing degree next year and while I'm not worried, I'm curious to know how shift work goes with a young family.
    I am a nurse, I am fortunate enough to pick my shifts and just work what suits me and have done so since my DS was 6 months old (now 19 months). I feel SO lucky to be able to balance my work and family life as I do, can't think of another job that would give me the flexibility and earning power that nursing does- working a 10 hour night shift on the weekend gives me the same income as 40 hours of minimum wage and my DH looks after DS the next day while I sleep. There are downsides to nursing but it is soooo flexible.

To the OP- unless it would just break your heart to turn down the paramedic course, I would do your nursing first and do paramedics as the add-on. Most of my nurse friends, myself included, had strong ideas about what we wanted to do at the start of the course and have ended up in a completely different field of nursing but love it. You might find your niche in nursing, if not you have still made great gains towards your paramedic degree!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adoralicious For This Useful Post:

abby cadabby  (11-12-2015),Moxy  (05-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm an RN. I used to work in ED. A fair few of the paramedics were also RN's. They would pick up agency work/casual shifts as RN's here and there. We also had quite a few nurses (interestingly mostly male) who started nursing to get into paramedics but then went on to do crit care postgrad who are now senior ED RN's. I feel like with the job market how it is right now in Victoria, it's a good idea to have a backup. But then getting a grad position as an RN is pretty hard these days too. I'd have a chat with your uni and see what they think. Do they do the double degree at VU?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs Snowman For This Useful Post: