+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question What do I do next? I need help.

Hello everyone,

My wife recently took a home pregnancy test which tested positive. We live in Vancouver, BC, Canada and because my wife just recently applied to become a permanent resident as my spouse, she doesn't have medical coverage through MSP and likely won't have coverage for another 6-7 months. So we are trying to figure out what to do and I thought I could post some questions here and maybe get some help.

1. Should we go with a midwife or GP for her medical check-ups?

2. At what point will we be refered to an OBGYN?

3. What are the advantages of a GP over a midwife?

4. Which tests are important that we get done during the pregnancy?

5. My wife is 33 and she would like to do screenings for possible chromosome abnormalities. Do you recommend SIPS, IPS or NIPT?

6. How many ultrasounds should we do and at what weeks?

Thanks for any help with these questions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi and congrats!
    So this is mostly an Australian based forum, I don't have any idea of what maternity care looks like in Canada. I'm hoping it's not too dissimilar to Australia (and not so much like the US which sounds like an absolute nightmare!). So with that in mind…

1. You typically start with a GP appointment for initial tests and checkups, but your GP can refer you to either a midwife, if you're going for midwifery care, or an OBGYN, if you're higher risk or just want the extra attention and expertise that an OB can provide.
    2. No idea, I never saw an OBGYN.
    3. GP is good for general problems, but midwives are good for anything pregnancy related? I had midwife care but still saw my GP a couple of times for other things as they came up throughout the 9 months.
    4. In Australia, the standard tests are the ultrasound and bloodtest that screen for chromosomal abnormalities at around 12 weeks, the morphology ultrasound at around 19 weeks, and a gestational diabetes screening test at around 27 weeks.
    5. I don't know any of those acronyms sorry!
    6. Only the 12 and 19 week ones are really important, assuming everything is healthy and normal. A lot of people have an early US (at around 7 weeks) to check dates and that the development looks normal. And a lot of people will get one around 32 weeks just to peek on the baby. Of course, if any problems arise, you'll likely have more, but that would be under the advice of your midwife/OBG.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I think the NIPT is worth doing, you can do it from ten weeks and combined with the standard 12 w screens get a pretty good indicator of chromosomal issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Oh ps @DustinB what you should do next is go to a bookstore and buy a reputable pregnancy book and read it along with your partner. You should be able to find one tailored to Canada, 'What to expect when you're expecting' has a few country specific versions.

And go see your GP who will help you with everything else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the responses.

What are the standard 12 week screenings? My understanding was that if you did NIPT you didn't need to do the IPS screening.

Also I had heard that 1 ultrasound at 18-20 weeks would be enough. What is the other one and what's it for?