+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Under-development of DS's tooth enamel

I had 3 yo DS2 at the dentist this morning. The dentist has said that he has hypomineralisation on 3 of 4 of his 2 year old molars, that is, the enamel hasn't developed properly and is highly susceptible to decay or breaking down and the chance of him having sensitive teeth is also very high (which makes me so sad; I have highly sensitive teeth and it literally impacts my life to the point where I now have to get them all covered because of the pain it causes). Given he's so young she has recommended 6 monthly check ups and using tooth mousse daily to prevent the enamel from getting worse. In the future we may have to look at pedatric crowns or some other sort of tooth covering.

I've done a bit of googling but most of what I'm finding relates to older kids, 6-8. Given he's likely going to have these teeth until he's 10 or 11, we have a lot of years of dealing with these teeth and stopping them from getting worse.

Just wondering if anyone else out there has kids who have had this problem and what treatment they have had.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We have this issue with DD. She's just turned three. We were told to use tooth mousse. Plus you can get these wipes things that help but I couldn't get DD to use them. Dentist also told us if she can drink water after eating that will help too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Moxy  (03-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I didn't develop enamel on my teeth as a toddler and went through years of rinses and home treatments to help strengthen them. This was in the days before fluoride being in water. I hated it as a kid and wouldn't do it properly. Even after my baby teeth fell out my mature teeth weren't much better and I have a mouth full or fillings and crowns.

My eldest who is not 10 has terribly weak teeth as well. Always has. She's had multiple fillings and extractions. We tried the mousse but it didn't help. She now sees the dentist every 3 months. My other kids are on 6 monthly visits.

We finally saw a paediatric dentist last month as I felt we were just chipping away at the problem and not addressing it. She's booked in next week to have 3 teeth removed and multiple fillings and reinforcements.

The paediatric dentist likened weak teeth and decay with termites in an old house. They have to be completely removed or the problems continue. I've felt that's what we've been doing so far and it just hasn't worked.

Your son is too young for that sort of outcome. All I can recommend is regular visits and really good cleaning habits. We have electric brushes and I m strict about 2 minutes twice a day. Nothing to eat or drink before bedtime. And flossing. She has to floss.

It's been an expensive and time consuming problem. DH's teeth are perfect and it seems my other kids have good teeth too. I feel really bad for her.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Moxy  (03-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have suffered from the condition enamel inperfecta all my life which is genetic and there isn't much yiu can do about it. Is this what you are referring to?

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/...cle/001578.htm

Unfortunately I have passed it on to my DD too and our dentist has said all that we can do until she is a little older is keep a close eye on it and have regular check ups. At a later date he will put some sort of protective coating on her teeth. I have a bad fear of dentists due to all the treatment I have had to go through and as I child my dentist some how made me feel like it was my fault so I will do anything to make sure my daughter doesn't feel the same way. We are lucky we have a great dentist.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS has this too and his dentist blames it on him being an IUGR baby. She hasn't given us any treatment plan - just regular visits to keep an eye on it and if it starts to cause problems then she'll discuss treatments with us. He has oral sensory issues that mean toothpaste makes him vomit which makes things all the harder. He's 5 at the moment and so far no signs of holes but his front teeth have little chips at the bottom. I really worry about what lies in the future. He's had to endure so many medical issues, tests, pain in his life so far, it breaks my heart that his teeth will be a problem too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS has this too. The tooth mouse is getting really annoying (and expensive) TBH. I think they are going to fill the teeth (all 4 of his back molars) starting at his next visit in January. I've been told it's quite common and isn't something that's been caused by anything you have or haven't done - but that because of it we can not afford to miss a single toothbrushing.

I am just very hopeful it's only his baby teeth and not the adult teeth. We won't know that until they come through in several years though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS also had (has I guess) poor enamel on molars - the paed dentist said likely due to his very early failure to thrive - apparently the body sends minerals to more important parts of the body when the diet is poor and therefore his unerupted molars suffered. And also that his early years he drank only unflourinated water. My DS ended up having 3 crowns put on under anesthetic when he was 3yo. They also fissure sealed everywhere while they were there. He hasn't had any decay issues since and in fact he just lost his first crowned tooth (he's 10 now).