Vaccines WC and flu in pregnancy - please share! | Page 2 | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had the influenza vax during pregnancy. WC was already up to date. DD is fine. DD is fully vaccinated on the schedule. I was skeptical about the vitamin K & hep B shot at birth so researched the heck out of them. Ended up giving DD vit K but not hep B. Try to find objective information about vaccines to make your decision, not sensationalised rubbish.
    I vaccinate because I have seen kids with WC, measles, chicken pox, even 1 with polio in my line of work. These diseases are bl00dy awful. So I vaccinate.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

Skysilver  (03-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm intending on Vitamin K and not Hep B at birth also. No I don't read sensationalised rubbishy information though. I'm from a biomedical background.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Skysilver View Post
    There are a lot of top doctors and immunologists around the world who are anti-vaccination who have excellent evidence based information and published work on links to harm and that is where I source my information as there is definitely a lot of rubbish around out there. I actually have a biomedical background so make sure I research proper sources. There is definitely good information behind both sides of the 'vaccination debate'. At the end of the day it is hard to sometimes make a decision faced with it all. That's where your personal experiences are so helpful
    Thats great thatv ou have a biomedical background, hopefully then you will be able to access the huge amount of research available on vaccines, & will probably have some understanding of how vaccines work - it overwhelmingly shows that vaccines are both SAFE and EFFECTIVE. Be very careful who you believe & make sure your source of information is reputable -Im just saying this because you mentioned the 'top doctors and immunologists' who are against vaxxing, which are actually very few and most are selling a 'natural product' in place of vaccinating. There is not one piece of reputable evidence in existence that shows that vaccines cause autism or allergies or sids or any of the other rubbish that the vaccine skeptic network would like you to believe. I would recommend the Belgium study that followed I think 300,000 vaccinated and unvaccinated children to follow effects of both. There are some great pieces of research if you have the access, all the best in your journey.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (03-12-2015),ilex  (03-12-2015),Leettieb  (04-12-2015),MsViking  (03-12-2015),rosey82  (03-12-2015),Skysilver  (03-12-2015),smallpotatoes  (03-12-2015),Sonja  (03-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I had both Vacs when pregnant and DD had vit K needle when born. She is now 2 and is very intelligent. Speaks really well (childcare said she's the best talker in her room and age wise she's in the middle of them, not the oldest), sings loads of songs (could sing song tunes, note perfect at 9 months old), and can count to 20

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lil Smurfy For This Useful Post:

Skysilver  (03-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi ladies.

I'm 40 weeks pregnant now and was wondering, did any of you have the flu vaccine to prevent flu in your pregnancies? And the WC vaccine in 3rd trimester? I had the two of these vaccines.

I am currently posting as I do not know which side of the fence I'm in now in regards to vaccinating my baby and have heard bad things about vaccines in pregnancy even though medical authorities tell us they're safe. So I'm just confused and wanted to see what other people's experiences are and if they vaccinated in pregnancy.

If you had these vaccines while pregnant, is your baby okay? Any effects on brain, developmental stuff? Are your babies progressing well?
    Do you have particular worries about what harm can come from vaccinating? Are you worried about side effects? Long term effects? Are there particular vaccinations that worry you more than others? I am not an expert at all but there are people on here with loads of knowledge to share

FWIW - with my 1st I had flu vax but whooping cough vax was not common in 3rd trimester yet. This pregnancy I will be having WC in 3rd tri.

Also my DS is fully vaccinated. He didn't have severe or many side effects - long term effects I can't see as he isn't quite 3.

I was/am vaccinated through my life/as an adult and I see no effects (short or long term).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Skysilver  (04-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    There are a lot of top doctors and immunologists around the world who are anti-vaccination who have excellent evidence based information and published work on links to harm and that is where I source my information as there is definitely a lot of rubbish around out there. I actually have a biomedical background so make sure I research proper sources. There is definitely good information behind both sides of the 'vaccination debate'. At the end of the day it is hard to sometimes make a decision faced with it all. That's where your personal experiences are so helpful
    Actually I think there are a number of people who like to present themselves as doctors muddying the waters.

The risks of vaccination are low and trust me you don't want to see your baby suffer.

I actually had WC in my third Tri even though I was vaccinated. I can't tell you how scary that was.

Conversely each time my bubba had his shots and got just that bit more protection has been such a sigh of relief.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

Skysilver  (04-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only "evidence" I've ever seen to support an anti-vax position has been from cranks and quacks with something to sell.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's really good to do your own research. I bought and read some books for and against whilst I was pregnant with my first so I could make a more informed decision. I felt like I was being mocked for doing so, when in actual fact I was just trying to figure out the facts. Mention to anyone that you're questioning vaccination and you'll most likely get some pretty passionate responses!

In the end I chose to vaccinate DS with one exception - the hep B shot at birth. I don't think it's necessary as Hep B is not airborne and no one with Hep B would be in contact with my newborn. He had his first Hep B shot at 6 weeks and I never had any problems with midwives or health professionals questioning my decision. In fact my MCHN admitted she never gave her children the hep B (birth) injection either.

The only vaccination DS reacted to was chicken pox, he got a mild version of chicken pox and was a little unsettled but that's it. No other side effects from any.

I will be getting my WC vaccine again shortly as am 6 months pregnant with my second. For me the risk of my child getting a life threatening illness if I didn't vaccinate is much much much higher than the remote risk of a reaction to a vaccine. I know others whose babies have had whooping cough and honestly it is not something you ever want to experience. Ever.

IMO, as far as heavy metals, additives, preservatives etc go, I think there are other things in our environment that are more of a worry than the ridiculously remote amounts present on our vaccines.

I agree that most of the 'reactions' and bad side effects you read about online have been proven to be untrue.

I think the risks are getting greater by the day and it's very scary, it's becoming more common and we live in a part of Australia with high anti-vax rates so I am much more comfortable with my decision to vaccinate this time round than I was with my first.

Best of luck with your research and decision making. Try to look further than online resources if you can.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (04-12-2015),Skysilver  (04-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    With all due respect, actually, there are hundreds of actual studies that discredit the safety and effectiveness of vaccines from the top medical journals in the world. It just takes more work to find them than a Google search. I can send you a number of links if you are interested in the research. Much of the mainstream studies are fraught with fraudulent activity and conflicts of interest.

But aside from that, what I wanted to know was if your children were okay with these vaccines in pregnancy, not to be told I must not be researching correctly and must surely be using poor sources of information. I have studied biomedical science for 7 years. I don't bother with propaganda anti-vax sites that spout fear mongering and bogus information because I've been highly trained in how to research.
    Last edited by Skysilver; 04-12-2015 at 20:07.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Skysilver For This Useful Post:

Angels4me  (04-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Do you have particular worries about what harm can come from vaccinating? Are you worried about side effects? Long term effects? Are there particular vaccinations that worry you more than others? I am not an expert at all but there are people on here with loads of knowledge to share

FWIW - with my 1st I had flu vax but whooping cough vax was not common in 3rd trimester yet. This pregnancy I will be having WC in 3rd tri.

Also my DS is fully vaccinated. He didn't have severe or many side effects - long term effects I can't see as he isn't quite 3.

I was/am vaccinated through my life/as an adult and I see no effects (short or long term).
    Thank you for respectfully sharing! Yes mostly worried about long term neurological problems which come up in evidence based research (not the anti-vax websites online). I'm so glad to hear that so far neither you or your son have been harmed by any vaccines. Luckily I have not been either