+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    If my son stays dry for 2 hours how often would I take him to the toilet?
    There's no rules. Everyone's experiences will be different. I personally just kept asking. They will say no at first, but do a wee suddenly while playing (without a nappy on) and freak out. That's the whole point, they don't like wetting themselves and that is how they learn; they soon start associating the urge to go with wetting themselves and it's a big change, a huge adjustment. They've never had to think about it before, it's just been a natural bodily function that happens without stress.. then suddenly, their world is interrupted, the security of the nappy is removed and they don't like it. That's why my approach was no fuss, I tried making it fun with books and rewards and didn't make a big deal if she had an accident. They are learning creatures and once it clicks they pick it up and will actually enjoy being a "big boy/girl". Make a huge fuss and lots of praise. When they have an accident, reassure them and don't get upset and just remind them to tell you next time. Try not to put them back in a nappy once you've started (wherever possible obviously) and stick to it. I used to make it sound really exciting, like when she woke up I'd say "potty time! Big girl undies on!" I took her shopping and helped her choose cute undies with pics on them.
    It's trial and error. I've never really heard of any child who jumps right in without issue, they dislike the change and it's scary at times.
    You will get there. Stop beating yourself up! Summer time is a great time to start 😃

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with R &A, maybe try every hour. Too often &he is sitting on the toilet too many times for one 'success' IYKWIM. When I trained my first DD, I kept a record written down of wees/accidents &when they happened, so I could see a pattern & how often she was going. I stayed home for a week &my only focus was toilet training. Some kids take hard work to 'get' it. Give him heaps of liquids, even juice, ice blocks and watery fruit to help him go more often & learn what he has to do. And if you have a DH,maybe see if he has some time ofd work, a log weekend etc coming up so you can have some help with it? Good luck,it is a tough thing to do,but great when its done!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Have you given him heaps of water?

I'd make him go every hour and make him sit for 5-10min each time. I usually use running water to "make" them want to pee
    He have had success twice today..... Fingers crossed it keeps going.
    I take him every 30min. But I know he can stay dry 1-2 hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Update: 3 successful attempts and 3 accidents......
    Least it's balanced....but now that it's the afternoon his mood has changed...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried to tt my son too early and after seven months of accidents and stress, I put him back in nappies full time. It was such a relief for both of us!! Then, a couple of months later, he asked for jocks. I talked him out of it and was very discouraging of jocks until he insisted. I was so traumatised that I just didn't want to go back there! Once he insisted, it was easy! He just was ready and so we didn't have any issues. He's four and has now been in jocks overnight for about two weeks. Again, I resisted until he insisted and we've had only two accidents in bed in the two weeks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Update: it's going well so far, no accidents from the last update, he has used the potty and is proud. Hopefully it continues.

No nappy on so far and he doesn't nap during the day so hopefully it's only needed at night time. I'm giving myself the beer few days solid training. And if I need to go out I'll just put the training pants on and treat it as undies, right?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nafsika For This Useful Post:

Californication  (04-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Update: it's going well so far, no accidents from the last update, he has used the potty and is proud. Hopefully it continues.

No nappy on so far and he doesn't nap during the day so hopefully it's only needed at night time. I'm giving myself the beer few days solid training. And if I need to go out I'll just put the training pants on and treat it as undies, right?
    Yep.

I used to put pull ups over knickers when out of the home during TT.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep.

I used to put pull ups over knickers when out of the home during TT.
    Did you take him to,the toilet while out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did you take him to,the toilet while out!
    Yep. I'd ask them if they wanted to go. Always went as soon as we arrived and before we left.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep. I'd ask them if they wanted to go. Always went as soon as we arrived and before we left.
    Good idea