+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You both need to be ready. If it's stressing you out and you're passing that stress onto him, he's going to refuse. If he gets the idea that you 'need' him to do it he'll most likely rebel. It can be a boiling hot day & if I ask DD to take her jacket off, or put a t-shirt on, you can guarantee the answer will be no!

Set aside some time when you feel 100% ready to tackle it in all its glory! For me I cleared the schedule for a week or so and committed to no nappies. Once upon a time that thought terrified me! But I don't really know why. It's just wee. A quick change & it's all over. For 2 days DD had nothing but accidents. The only wees in the potty were flukes. Day 3 she woke up and said, "mummy a wee is coming!" And that was it. Fully trained day and night ever since. She was so resistant for so long but I think it was my commitment and relaxed attitude that helped her through.

Good luck. He will get there, they all do!!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amcyus For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (03-12-2015),~Marigold~  (03-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would stop and try again in 6 months. It's not worth the stress.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I think you and your child really need to be in the right head space for toilet training to work. If you are stressed and he's so resistant then I'd just put him back in nappies and not talk about it until the new year. When you feel like you have the time and energy to really devote to it, I'd start talking to him about it and prepping him for what's going to happen and what you're going to do (depending on what methods you're going to use) and then give it a week of toilet training and see how you go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Relax he will do it when he is ready. D's 3.5 was just like that 2 weeks ago. He woke up last week and was trained. I did nothing other oh you been dry for 2 days let not put pulls up on anymore during the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thank you all for your very good advice. Maybe today was a bad day to start again as his got a bit of a cold.

I've tired 3 times throughout the year, my concern is if he has a medical issue. Like he doesn't know when too pee or when it's coming. But knows about number 2.

He is also very busy in his mind. Not sure why. There is another sibling in the house. I wonder if that does anything.

I have tried the bribes, I have tried the stickers, the iPad, the books (not the one mentioned here) he have watched elmo going to the potty, he knows the words, I even purchased the app for his iPad and no success.

I do feel like a failure. I know other mums who trained their child in a day and less than a week.

He also sat in his wee today didn't tell me about it, just sat there watching tv. Grrrrr

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    Thank you all for your very good advice. Maybe today was a bad day to start again as his got a bit of a cold.

I've tired 3 times throughout the year, my concern is if he has a medical issue. Like he doesn't know when too pee or when it's coming. But knows about number 2.

He is also very busy in his mind. Not sure why. There is another sibling in the house. I wonder if that does anything.

I have tried the bribes, I have tried the stickers, the iPad, the books (not the one mentioned here) he have watched elmo going to the potty, he knows the words, I even purchased the app for his iPad and no success.

I do feel like a failure. I know other mums who trained their child in a day and less than a week.

He also sat in his wee today didn't tell me about it, just sat there watching tv. Grrrrr
    Oh big hugs to you! You are not a failure!
    The best thing I've learned about parenting and kids is to never compare us and then to anyone else. YOU are the best mother to YOUR son, so please try and believe in yourself and in him. I know loads of normal, happy children who didn't toilet train until well past your sons age.
    Please don't think I'm attacking you and speaking out of turn but you seem to have so many anxieties about your kids and while I know it's totally normal to worry (I think as parents, worrying comes with the territory!) but when it reaches a level of anxiety, it can negatively impact the whole family.
    Do you have a regular GP that you could talk to about your feelings and concerns?
    Again, hope I haven't offended.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Californication  (03-12-2015),gingermillie  (04-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Oh big hugs to you! You are not a failure!
    The best thing I've learned about parenting and kids is to never compare us and then to anyone else. YOU are the best mother to YOUR son, so please try and believe in yourself and in him. I know loads of normal, happy children who didn't toilet train until well past your sons age.
    Please don't think I'm attacking you and speaking out of turn but you seem to have so many anxieties about your kids and while I know it's totally normal to worry (I think as parents, worrying comes with the territory!) but when it reaches a level of anxiety, it can negatively impact the whole family.
    Do you have a regular GP that you could talk to about your feelings and concerns?
    Again, hope I haven't offended.
    Your not offending me......

I have spoken to a few professionals and they just tell me that I worry too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My 4.5 year old is TT and night trained but still asks for a nappy for a poo. I couldn't care less. He will poo in the toilet when he's ready. Cut yourself some slack and who cares if others have trained in a day or a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If my son stays dry for 2 hours how often would I take him to the toilet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you given him heaps of water?

I'd make him go every hour and make him sit for 5-10min each time. I usually use running water to "make" them want to pee