+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Tamtam, I'm not a teacher but I completely agree with you.

Do you have much knowledge of primary schools in the south east Qld area?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert01 For This Useful Post:

Tamtam  (03-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert01 View Post
    @Tamtam, I'm not a teacher but I completely agree with you.

Do you have much knowledge of primary schools in the south east Qld area?
    A little! Pm me. And I can fill you in on what I know.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    A little! Pm me. And I can fill you in on what I know.
    lol, do you know anything about any on the northside of brisbane?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No I don't think it make any difference for the average kid.
    All the studies I have found about it show the same. No difference in terms of skills output.

However I'm sure student life would probably be nicer/easier in a private school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterFarts View Post
    lol, do you know anything about any on the northside of brisbane?
    Only know of a few christian/private independent ones. But not enough to probably enlighten you on much. I'm a gold coast girl. Sorry!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Do you think private schools are worth the $$? why/why not?

We are sending DS to a private school, he starts kindy next year , we only have 1 child so financially it's ok for us and we both want to contribute to DS education , I went to a private school for 12 years and loved it, DH went public school and hated it and yes we ended up with the same results but that's not the reason we are sending DS to one - the facilities, extra curricular activities, sporting, musical, theatre and art , extra teachers, better opportunities, smaller class sizes and just our experiences with friends/families/clients and kids we know compared to the public schools in our area is why he's going - the Principal is amazing, he's been there for 18 years and we are hoping he stays another 18!

My twin nieces were moved from a public primary to private primary school in 5th class , one is really smart but socially awkward ( Aspergers ) the other is fine socially but not as smart - the difference was literally life changing , at their first parent teacher interview they told SIL niece 1 happily ate lunch and played with the other kids at lunch time ( at her public school she stayed in the library at lunch and cried every day as other kids never let her join in) and was told the other twin regularly participates in class and has a passion for writing (at her public school they were told she has the reading capability of a 3rd class child and is too shy and never participated in class) my SIL cried at what most people would think is an normal report but loved that finally her girls were thriving and to her, regardless of their academic results, is worth every cent she pays

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Personally, yes. When we had custody of dh's siblings they attended a state school. The way they treated the kids was disgusting to say the least. We ended up pulling them out and sending them to a private school. The change in them was amazing. The new school handled issues so much better, actually listened to the kids and involved us with everything. They went above and beyond to guide them in the right direction. And most important they showed the kids respect. The kids thrived.

When it came time to choose a school for ours, I was quite happy to send them to a state school I knew had a good reputation. Dh was having none of it. He is probably the least religious person I know but he insisted our children go to a private school. And honestly I am glad he did. The last private school we were at wasn't great, they handled a lot of situations badly (or ignored them completely), but it was still a ****load better than the state schools in the area. When we moved home there was no question about private or state. Now, we are struggling to pay for it and have had to look into sending the girls to a state school. We feel sick about it. The current school is amazing, its brand new so very small but the way the principal and teachers interact and respect the children is beautiful. Dd1 has for the first time ever stated she loves school and has not been bullied or picked on once since starting there- for the first time since she was 2.5 years old. We will be doing everything we can to keep them at the school. And the school is doing everything they can to ensure it happens.

We have had a number of family members start their kids at a state school (various ones) and change them to private. They have all said the same thing- private schools seem to offer a level of respect and community that star schools don't. They way they deal with the kids on a day to day basis etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I just wanted to come back and restate my earlier comment that I don't think you can generalise about this topic.

I went to what I would consider 2 of the worst catholic primary schools in Australia (bit of an exaggeration but only slightly) for my primary school. Bullying, corporal punishment and ignorance were all I learned there.

I went to a public high school as did DH. Private was never on our radar. But here we are and we couldn't be happier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    For us, no. The private school here is a complete waste of money...they don't deal with bullying properly, put insane amounts of pressure on the kids academically, and you pay through the nose for extra curriculum activities from kindergarten that aren't available until highschool anyway. Different gender friendships are frowned upon, and there is a major heirachy in the playground as to which kid has more money...popularity is based on your financial status. Gross.
    On the flip side we have so many amazing public schools to choose from. My kids are all in public school, and are thriving and loving school. Private school isn't even on our agenda, because they honestly can't offer us anything in comparison to what our public schools can, including the amazing community the public schools have.
    Last edited by Full House; 03-12-2015 at 17:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Do you think private schools are worth the $$? why/why not?

Well I'm biased as I'm a public school advocate Something would have to be very seriously wrong with no resolve for me to move my child to a private school.

There are many reasons why I love my local public school and the one I work at. The one thing that resonated with me very recently was a celebration of diversity at my daughter's school.

One thing I value living in the community that I do is diversity. My daughter's school had a multicultural day a few weeks ago and there were 42 different nationalities/backgrounds and I was amazed. I knew it was diverse but not like that. When they had the country ceremony, all the kids walked around under their country's flag. Much like they do in the Olympic Games. Then everybody sang "I am Australian" and at the end we all stood and sang the national anthem. It brought a tear to my eye and I wished this was something they would show on the news.

Anyway, private schools in Sydney have become a monoculture. Majority are white and from an English speaking background. Not exactly a reflection of our society and not what I want my children to think is a true representation of our country.

ETA - there are plenty of other reasons but as I said, this just reaffirmed my view that this is a great school for my kids to learn at!
    Last edited by BigRedV; 03-12-2015 at 21:15.