+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ArthurDent View Post
    I recently got a Stila liquid liner from Mecca. They do heaps of colours, I got the brown as I also find the black a bit full on. It's quite easy to apply (and I'm a complete makeup newb) and it doesn't budge. Was $29 which isn't too bad.
    I love brown eyeliner.
    When I lived in Ireland I would use Boots own brand, No7, in Mocha.
    It was divine!Rich golden brown that would make your eyes pop!
    Then all of a sudden they just changed it!
    It is now (last time I checked) a weak, watery brown with purple undertones. It's been almost ten years and I'm still totally devo!
    I find most brown eyeliner are like this now.
    Horrible.
    I have yet to find one I love.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phony For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (06-12-2015),calicocat  (06-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by calicocat View Post
    Can any of you lovely ladies recommend a good eyeliner that stays in place?
    I find pencil eyeliners tend to end up underneath my eye, but perhaps it's the cheap brands I've tried. I've been using a black liquid liner on the lid only, but I think it's a bit harsh on me as I'm quite pale and have blue eyes.
    Would love to hear your favourite brands :-)
    As a fairly basic make up user I'm finding this thread very educational!
    I have the hourglass gel pencil. It will not budge.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

calicocat  (06-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Majeen View Post
    Can someone rec me a good primer. Preferably not tinted.
    What is yoir skin type? Oily? Dry? Combo? Do you have issues with textured skin/pores? Do you want a dewy or matte base?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

Majeen  (06-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for the eyeliner recommendations, I'm hitting the shops today. I'm also going to pick up a foundation brush.
    Loving the awesome tips, thank you!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by calicocat View Post
    Thank you so much for the eyeliner recommendations, I'm hitting the shops today. I'm also going to pick up a foundation brush.
    Loving the awesome tips, thank you!!
    Get them to try it on you first. You may find if you use an eye primer and powder you get just as good a result from any eyeliner. Hourglass is excellent but only has 20 applications.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

TheGooch  (06-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Silly questions but how did everyone learn to apply makeup? I'm seriously terrible at it and would love to wear more, particularly eye makeup.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Lots of make up trials at the Mecca counter when I was a lot younger and had heaps of time.

My favourite make up artist when I was younger was Kevyn Aucoin. Before he died in 2002 he created his own make up brand and if you google his name and makeup tutorial you'll find some really good videos.

I keep my makeup simple these days.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (06-12-2015),babyno1onboard  (06-12-2015),Phony  (06-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Silly questions but how did everyone learn to apply makeup? I'm seriously terrible at it and would love to wear more, particularly eye makeup.
    Not a silly question at all! I mentioned some youtube beauty gurus. I have watched sooooooooo many tutorials. Particularly watch Lisa Eldridge, Karima McKimmie and Wayne Goss. They explain things well and do some beginner tutorials.

Also, book a makeover at a counter like @Sonja suggested. You can ask questions and even purchase the products they used.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to twinklify For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (06-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    What is yoir skin type? Oily? Dry? Combo? Do you have issues with textured skin/pores? Do you want a dewy or matte base?
    My skin is normal to oily, prone to some acne. I have large pores on my nose. It will be under make up so not sure if you need matte finish?

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Lots of make up trials at the Mecca counter when I was a lot younger and had heaps of time.

My favourite make up artist when I was younger was Kevyn Aucoin. Before he died in 2002 he created his own make up brand and if you google his name and makeup tutorial you'll find some really good videos.

I keep my makeup simple these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Not a silly question at all! I mentioned some youtube beauty gurus. I have watched sooooooooo many tutorials. Particularly watch Lisa Eldridge, Karima McKimmie and Wayne Goss. They explain things well and do some beginner tutorials.

Also, book a makeover at a counter like @Sonja suggested. You can ask questions and even purchase the products they used.
    Definitely not a silly question!
    Just as Sonja and twinklify said watch some tutorials online and also go to counters and be upfront. Most staff I've found LOVE makeup and want to show you what's new, what's great and how to use products.

At counters - I have some tips!
    1. Be upfront with the artist about your experience level and also how much time you'll realistically spend on make up. No point them selling you the products and showing you a 30 minute face if you'll mainly have time for A 5-10 minute face.

2. Don't buy on the spot! No matter how tempting it can be. That's how you end up spending $600 at Chanel when you just went on to check out a new spring collection in 2012. Not looking at anyone in particular ! The reason is, especially for foundation, you want to know the wear, after an hour or 8 hours on your face. Make up can look stunning immediately and either slip, fade or change colour on you over time. You'll also want to see the colours in natural light. Not same as the lights in a shop.
    This should also help you know if a makeup is going to oxidise on you.

3. If you don't like the make up on the artist in front of you - be cautious in accepting their recommendations for you. I think getting to know make up first means understanding your own skin, style, undertones. If they don't know their own skin, I'm never sure they'll understand mine.

4. Set a budget! Makeup had an ability like nothing else I've spent money on to make me spend far more than I ever intended!

5. Sit back and relax! It's supposed to be fun. Sometimes it's nice to just sit there and let someone work their magic!

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (06-12-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (06-12-2015),wobbleyhorse  (06-12-2015)