+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by MilkyMama View Post
    Thanks for your support, everyone ❤️ My friend is a very loving person, and was implying the washing of sheets could be done in a way that wasn't punishing... but also said she thinks my daughter does it on purpose and I have to admit, sometimes I do wonder! This is really embarrassing to admit but it shows how much of a tough year it's been - one afternoon, to my horror and whilst she was sitting in the dentists chair, I noticed she had left her pull up on ALL DAY Anyway, that episode aside, I do realise that unlike me she is an incredibly heavy sleeper, doesn't wake at all in the night. I've heard of those alarm things and happen to be going to a city tomorrow where you can hire them from hospitals, so might look into it. Thanks again, your support means a lot to me! ❤️ As for my stubborn-*** friend, well maybe one day she'll get over it and start talking to me again (what tha, I should be the one ignoring her, lol!)
    I know it's really hard in terms of balancing a co-sleeping babe with an older child but it's necessary to make sure that your big girl feels safe and supported - she may have regressed because of the difficult pregnancy and then having a high needs sibling (again I get it!) but you're going to have to devote some time to her and just her.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try not to stress about it. My 5 year old DS still wears "night time undies" despite being day toilet trained from 2 years old. (Which was a breeze)
    We've tried setting alarms and getting up to take him but found this just caused us to be exhausted having broken sleep night after night. Not wearing them means so much washing, his mattress/room/bedding stinks despite using every known protector, plus we get broken sleep again having him crawl into our bed or having to get up to change sheets at 2am!
    Sleep is valuable in our house as we are both shift workers.
    We do no drinks after dinner, encourage lots of wees throughout the day& before bed & he will still fill a pull up! We do sticker charts for dry pull ups - but this doesn't seem to work for us.
    My DS is such a deep sleeper it's as if his brain doesn't wake to tell him he needs to go. I've timed him to usually wet around 5am so if I manage to be up around then I'll take him to the toilet, but this is never guaranteed.
    I also think it may be hereditary and they grow out of it. I remember bed wetting myself until I was 7 & just eventually stopped.
    The worst thing you can do is get angry or punish a child over bed wetting.
    If it's a real concern, see a GP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank-you again everyone, I will look on eBay for an alarm! It could be genetic as her dad wet the bed and so did my brother while I was the total opposite, waking every minute in the night as I was so terrified of wetting as my brother did. Now I'm a really light sleeper so in that way I think lucky her to get good, heavy sleep like that ☺️

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Get yourself some brolly sheets that tuck on top of the fitted sheet and provide an awesome very absorbent layer under your child.

I have a few of them so if dD2 has an accident I pull that off the bed & tuck a dry one in so its only one sheet & pj's to wash.

We still take DD2 to the toilet in the night at around 11pm dh does it before he goes to bed.
    Up until a couple months ago she was wearing a pull up and 'using' it consistently then all of a sudden she was dry overnight for a good week so we stopped the pull ups. I'll still keep the brolly sheet on her bed prob for next 6mths just in case

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your friend is an idiot. And a judgmental one.
    I can't help with the bed wetting as my 6 and 8 year old still sometimes wet the bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You should speak to your GP before just jumping in and using an alarm. Surprisingly we discovered its not just straight forward, clip on the alarm and off you go. Also check to make sure there are no underlying issues as others have said and also that she is drinking enough water during the day, it makes a world of difference to some kids.

As for your friend, ignore her. She isn't living it, and she isn't her mother.

Oh and 6 is still in the 'normal' age range for getting night time bladder control.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My dd1 still wets the bed every night (although she wears pull ups, she wets through them a lot). She is 8. She doesn't even realise until the next morning when she wakes up. She is a very heavy sleeper and just doesn't wake up to the urge. My sister was the same. Mum had every test under the sun done and it all came back clear. They tried medication, alarms...you name it. Nothing worked. In the end the Dr said its just something she will grow out of eventually. And she did when she was 12/13. She became more aware and it was like something in her brain just clicked. I am taking the same approach. I believe dd1 will become dry in her own time and pressuring her will only make matters worse. She definitely isn't punished for it- she can't control it. Dd2 is looking much the same- very heavy sleeper and still wears pull ups at night as she wets every night. She is 5. Dd3 however is a lighter sleeper and on the odd occasion has started waking up with a dry nappy in the morning, she isn't even toilet trained yet. She is 3.

LikeI said, I am a big believer in kids will be dry in their own time and putting extra pressure (or punishing them) will only make things worse. Your friend needs to shut the hell up and mind her own business and let *you* parent *your* child how you feel is right for *you*.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (11-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My ds who just turned 6 also still wets the bed. Not every night, he has managed a few full 12 hour nights with no accident. but to be on the safe side I usually get him up to go to the loo around 10-11pm. He goes strait back to sleep doesn't really even wake properly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would definitely try taking your daughter to the loo during the night. I know cosleeping can be tough for waking up the baby- I do it too - but maybe you can try to put him to sleep a bit later, leave the lights off and at least try it a few nights to see if it's going to be an issue. Also, it may seem obvious, but try getting her to go to the bathroom just before going to bed. Maybe talk t her about it and you could make a chart to see how many nights she can go without bed wetting - assuming there's nothing physically wrong that makes it too hard for her. Is she particularly worried about anything or still having trouble with the new baby? It could be an expression of stress. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    my DD is only 5 but we have had our fair share of wetting (day & night)

She spontaneously toilet trained at 2.5 (day and night) but even now, we still have times when she completely empties her bladder unknowingly (day & night)

Weve been to the GP & DD has had a couple of bladder infections due to bladder reflux (ie she needs to empty her bladder before its full or the urine refluxes back up & causes an infection leading to wetting)

She doesn't wear pull ups & I try not to make a big deal out of it. The only thing that works is toilet timing and limiting fluids of an evening. I have also carried her to the toilet in the middle of the night. woke her up enough to go then carry back to bed.

You can get fabric pull ups from kmart. they are not very absorbant but that might be a good thing?

You have to rule out medical causes first & try natural methods to achieve night contenence.