+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Intralipids for NK Cells in Cairns

Hello lovely ladies.....I'm at a complete loss as to where or if I even can get my intralipids done in Cairns somewhere? I am a Wazza patient and had egg transfer on Sat and only because it worked in with timing, had my 3 previous intralipid infusions done with the beautiful ladies at St Andrew's. But going forward, as its every 10 days for the 12 weeks, I am trying to find where in Cairns others have been to have it done? I've tried both hospitals (who were very lovely, but either had not heard of it or don't know where to start), and even QFG here in Cairns......they will not 'entertain' the thought and don't anyone in Cairns that will......let's just leave that one alone....... Really hoping someone from Cairns has had it done and can point me in the right direction. Thank you all and very best wishes. XX

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there Positive Vibes... I'm sorry I can't help but I also live in Cairns and would love to know if you find anywhere as I am off to South Africa for a donor cycle next month and will be doing intralipids over there and if I get a BFP I would like to continue with the transfusions when I return to Cairns. Good luck xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello Felicity Fox. Sadly, we got a BFN on the weekend. It has completely shattered us. I'm not sure where to go from here. Its all too raw right now. We have an appnt with Wazza in Feb to discuss our options.....but due to a wonderful pharmacist I know (who I also got all my medications through, including the compouned ones) I did have a great, caring Dr lined up out at the beaches who was willing to do the infusions in his surgery. I don't know costs (although I'm sure it wouldn't have amounted to as much as all the flights to & from Bris every 10 days. But as of the weekend we now won't be moving forward with it at this stage, but I can provide you with details for you to go visit with him as I did to talk it over with him. If I'm not intruding too much, I'd like to know more about your SA journey. We had started our research on Cape Fertility in SA before we got this amazing chance to see Wazza. It may just now be our Option 1 when we see him again in Feb. The very best of luck to you for next month. But I hope to hear from you soon & again-more than happy to provide you with the GP details here. Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dear @PositiveVibes, my sincerest apologies for the slow reply - I haven’t been on BH very much recently and I didn’t realise you’d posted...

I am so very sorry to hear of your BFN – they are devastating and heartbreaking. I hope you and your DP do whatever you need to heal and move forward. Your appointment with Wazza in February will be here in a flash and he will be very honest with you regarding your chances of success – he won’t hesitate to suggest moving to donor eggs if he thinks that is the best option (we did one cycle with Wazza as well)?

As for my SA donor egg journey - I don’t mind sharing it with you at all. I’m not sure if you’ve read through the SA donor egg thread on BH but if you are thinking about pursuing this option it is essential reading – it has been a fantastic source of information and inspiration over the years and reading the many wonderful success stories gave me hope during some very difficult times.

I raised the possibility of using donor eggs with DH a couple of years into IVF and he was very supportive of the idea – especially after I showed him some potential donor profiles which seemed to make the process much more tangible for both him and me – but he left it up to me regarding when to give up on my own eggs. To be honest it took me a long time (and some counseling) to come to terms with the move to DE but I felt a huge sense of relief and excitement once I finally made the decision to stop trying with my 43 yo eggs in September this year after a miscarriage... by the end of the next month I’d selected my donor, paid the donor agency fee and the deposit to CFC. My donor was screened last month and has been given the green light to cycle in January... so if you do decide to go down the donor path the whole process can really be very quick.

I’m now less than month out from my SA cycle and I’m having a few sleepless and panicky nights particularly as we have selected an unproven donor and I don’t know if I will regret it. I only know that once I found her it was difficult for me to consider anyone else as I had such a strong connection to her profile and photos (she looks identical to me as a kid)... but too late to back out now! I still have a few things to sort out before we go and one of those was to track down someone in Cairns who could do the intralipids so I would really appreciate the details for the GP that was willing to help you out with the infusions ...

Our decision to use CFC rather than another o/s agency or an Australian donor was for several reasons including the great feedback and many success stories on BH, the wide range of potential donor’s available, the fact that you can choose your own donor (with some o/s agencies this is not an option), cost, anonymity of donors, and no language barrier to deal with. So far I have nothing but good things to say about CFC – they have made this process very easy and they have been very responsive in their communication. Please feel free to ask me anything at all about my CFC experience.

Take care of yourself PostiveVibes... my fingers, toes and everything else are crossed that we will both be holding our new bubbas soon... xx
    Last edited by Felicity Fox; 30-12-2015 at 02:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dear @PositiveVibes, warmest wishes for the New Year... I hope you are doing ok after last month's disappointment. I'm really hoping to hear from you regarding the GP in Cairns who was willing to do intralipids as I would like to have an infusion before my cycle later this month. I hope that everything is ok with you and I look forward to hearing from you soon. FF xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi FF. I'm so sorry. I did read your message, but was down south for a few days.....just needed to get away and clear my head......still shattered, but not as emotional now. Have to get my head in the right place before we head back to Bris in Feb to discuss our options.
    If you call Appletree Medical in Palm Cove and make an appnt with Dr Andrew Jay. He is the lovely Dr that took the time to research Intralipids, meet with me and discuss it all, and called Dr Wazza to get full details. He then lined it up with the Alive pharmacy connected to Appletree Medical. Tanya is the pharmacist and owner of Alive Palm Cove and a friend of mine. She is absolutely amazing and helped me out so much with all my medications and she's the one that put me in contact with Dr Jay. I know she had intralipids there ready for me, but of course, we didn't need them. Please do make the appnt with Dr Jay and mention that I gave you his details. I'm sure he will be happy to help you. He was just so lovely and very interested.....unlike so many other places I tried in Cairns who didn't want to know about it!
    I was telling hubby about your upcoming trip to SA, and as it is now the most likely option for us, I was hoping you could give me some more insight into it. Our first main question would be all up (including airfares/accommodation/ treatment/etc), would you mind giving us a ballpark figure we'd be looking at?? And did you initiate it through Wazza??? He mentioned to us that he could assist with getting it all started and someone mentioned we could work on getting the medications, etc through him. I hope you don't mind me asking - we just have so many questions and its lovely to know of someone here in Cairns that is actually going over.
    I do wish you all the very, very best of luck......I will have everything crossed for you. What date do you actually go?
    And, thank you also for your messages, and support. It is lovely to be able to go through this with others that completely understand.
    You take care, keep positive and sending you lots and lots of luck and hugs. XX Michelle.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PositiveVibes For This Useful Post:

Felicity Fox  (10-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @PositiveVibes (Michelle), thank you so much for getting back to me and for your warm wishes and encouragement, I will definitely be making contact with your lovely Dr Andrew Jay. He sounds like an absolute diamond. I still can’t believe that you popped up on Bub Hub with that information just in the nick of time for my upcoming cycle... I’m hoping it is a positive omen. So 1000s thank yous again for the details.... it’s nice to be in contact with a fellow Cairns-ite.

I’m glad to hear you got away for a few days down South – a bit of distance and time away can be a real circuit breaker. Good luck with Wazza in February. Do you mind me asking about your IVF journey so far... how long have you been on this shizzy rollercoaster?

As for South Africa we fly out on the 23rd of January... we initiated the process ourselves and did not go through our clinic in Cairns or Wazza. Once you start the ball rolling I have found the process of planning a SA donor cycle to be pretty straightforward. We started by selecting a donor by looking through the donor profiles at the different egg donor agencies in Cape Town (where Cape Fertility Clinic is located)... the agencies I looked at included: AbabySA, Sunshine Egg Donors, Nurture, Baby 2 Mom, Gift ov Life and Egg Donor SA (I’m not sure but there might be one or two others). All of these agencies have databases of donor profiles that you can browse through that include childhood photos, personality and medical info. I contacted a few of the agencies and they all were very responsive but I ended up going with Nurture because they had a donor I clicked with. From what I have read of others experiences all the agencies seem pretty good – their role is essentially limited to facilitating the contact between yourself and the donor.

As to what to look for in a donor... I remember a couple of years ago when I was researching the donor option, someone said you will know when you find the right donor and that was true for me – she jumped out at me from the screen and I couldn’t go past her. It was like looking at my own childhood photos and she seems to have a lovely personality that shone through in her written profiles. But what to look for in a donor is different for different people, for example a good physical likeness was important to me but for others this is not so much of a factor. Age was also important - I excluded anyone over 30, and most people tend to go with proven donors (I haven’t and I may regret it). If the donor you choose has donated through Cape Fertility Clinic before they will give you the details of how the donor has responded in the past and whether there have been any pregnancies as a result of their donation.

Once I had a donor in mind I emailed Cape Fertility Clinic to enquire about the ED process. They responded the same day with information about their ED program, pricing and a medical questionnaire for me and DH to complete. There are several doctors at CFC and there seems to be good feedback on all of them... mine is Dr Matebese and she has been fantastic so far and very responsive to all of my queries - she will respond to your emails directly which is a very different experience from what I’ve had in Australia where there are always IVF nurses that to mediate all communication. There is also an IVF coordinator that works with your FS that you liaise with regarding the logistics.

Once you have selected the donor, the agency will confirm the donor’s availability and if that’s all good then you pay donor agency their fee... but before I paid the donor agency fee I clarified what their refund policy was if the donor didn't pass screening and the agency agreed to a full refund... this is good to clarify up front before signing the contract as most of the agencies seem a little bit reluctant to refund your money and will instead try and find you another on their database but this can be a bit limiting - especially if their database is not very extensive.

Once you have paid the donor agency fee Cape Fertility Clinic takes over and does all the testing and liaises directly with the donor from that point. It is also at this point that you your deposit to CFC (40000 rand) which they require before they screen your donor... screening involves a number of routine blood tests, an ultrasound and also some psychological tests and based on those results they will either give you the green light or not on your donor. You can also request additional tests for an additional cost. I asked for the donor’s AMH to be tested as well which cost around $70 AUD (or 740 rand).

Once your donor is locked in you will receive your treatment plan and then you can book flights/accomm etc. Woo hoo. You need to stay in Cape Town for at least 12 days.

Medications: If you are a patient of Wazza’s you can probably arrange your prescriptions through him, but I just went through my local GP... the medications you will need before you go to SA are Progynova to build up your lining and some form of down regulation to allow your cycle to be synchronised with the donor and to stop you from ovulating... you can get the PIO (progesterone in oil) in South Africa as it is much cheaper there and you won’t need it until a few days before the transfer.

Medical tests: Re your medical history all of your test results need to be no more than 12 months old. Again, I just went to my GP to request any blood tests needed and an ultrasound referral.

Acccommodation: There is a massive range of accommodation available. Lots of ladies stay at the Vineyard which looks gorgeous but it seems to book up quickly and it was a bit pricey for us. I’ve found a great one bed 4 star apartment (where we can self cater if we want to) near the Waterfront which is apparently close to everything and a good online deal for a 13 night stay for just under $1400 (Afribode apartments).

An approx breakdown of SA costs which varies depending on the exchange rate:

Donor agency fee $1600 (15000 rand)
    Cape Fertility $6700 (60655 rand)
    Bank fees for transferring the funds ($70) (ie $35 per transfer)
    AMH test $70 (740 rand)
    Embryoscope $360 (4000 rand)
    Intralipids $220 (2500 rand)
    Embryo freezing $375 (4200 rand)
    Medications $150-$200? (not really sure what the total will end up being for this)
    Return flights for 2 ppl $4000
    13 nights accomm $1400
    Car hire ? (not booked yet but prices seem very reasonable)
    Activities & Spending ?

So the total ballbark figure not including tours/activities, food, and spending money is $15300.

Sorry for the epic post - I hope it's not info overload... I’m more than happy to answer any more questions you might have... also check out the BH threads here http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...outh-Africa-11 for more info (if you haven’t already). Wishing all the very best ... and I look forward to hearing how you move forward on your journey.

Take care, FF xx
    Last edited by Felicity Fox; 10-01-2016 at 12:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @PositiveVibes... I hope you are ok and that your broken heart is starting to heal a little . I went to see Dr Jay yesterday and again I have to pass on my most heartfelt thanks to you for giving me his details. He's agreed to squeeze in a 4 hour intralipid session with me next week just before he heads off to Africa the following day for a family visit. So again, timing wise, I feel like stars are aligning just a little . I braced myself and asked how much it was going to be and he quoted $129 Dr consult fee (half of which I'll get back from medicare) and around $30 for the bag of intralipids. I almost fell off my chair at the price and promptly burst into tears with gratitude (maybe a touch of PTSD as well). He said that he's not in the business of making money. He is a wonderful human being - he's genuine, caring and seems to actually be motivated by wanting to help people. After 5 years of IVF I've become accustomed to just letting the medical profession help themselves to whatever is in my bank account. When you consider the exhorbitent prices some other ladies seem to be paying for intralipids it highlighted to me again just how much IVF is a business and how our desperation to have a child is taken advantage of over and over again. Makes me more than a little sad... But then I think of the lovely Dr Jay and it restores my faith in humanity . Take care of yourself Michelle - sending lots of warm wishes and healing hugs your way. FF xx
    Last edited by Felicity Fox; 15-01-2016 at 08:24.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hello FF........I sat and typed a really long message late yesterday to you, and we've been having computer problems here at work and an error message came up when I hit 'post', but I was hoping that when I logged in today, that I would see it there.......but I don't I'm a bit disappointed as I'd written so much.......had a cry as I was typing it as well as had a giggle.........the emotions on this rollercoaster are amazing aren't they?! And, I'm currently not even on any medications! I will try and get to writing again. But the main thing was to wish you all the very best over the coming couple of weeks. I guess you are so excited as well as scared. Sat is pretty much here and you're off! I am so very happy that Dr Jay was able to help you out. He is a very rare Dr - you don't find many like him anymore. Not sure if you got to meet Tanya at the pharmacy too?? She is just as amazing. She went out of her way so much to help me. I work with her partner and I would have been completely lost without her. Well - as I said, I will send a longer version over the next couple of days. It was actual a little therapeutic putting it into words.....as when I typed it yesterday, I was not on top of the world. But felt better after I'd 'sent' it.....which didn't go...hahaha....got to laugh I guess.....Now - you take care, try and relax, stay positive, happy and speak to the Universe and all the angels to bring you your deserving little bubby. I will chat to you soon. Hugs and bubby dust being sent your way. XX

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi FF...........I am thinking you would be home now or on your way home from SA. I have been thinking of you the last couple weeks and sending all my positive vibes your way. I hope all went as you were hoping. Anyway - Just a short one to let you know I have been thinking of you and wishing you all the very best.