+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    I make lists and schedule EVERYTHING! Even naps are put into my diary as are simple things like washing my hair.

I make FB events for everything dh and I have to attend or do. That way it turns up on both our phones and in his case he gets informed even tho he might be away when it was booked it.

Food is planned every fortnight and grocery shopping done then. Then I only pick up milk/eggs/fruit in the middle.

I have a schedule of what chores need to be done on what day. I make a list of jobs to do every day the night before for the day itself. And I HAVE to do what I have listed. I was up till midnight last night catching up on chores as I was out during the day. Everyday I do the dishes, a load of laundry to wash/put away, meal prep, general tidy up and mop the playroom. Then I have specific weekly jobs Ie Mondays is ironing and vacuuming. Tuesday is bathrooms and changing towels. Wednesday is paperwork/bills. Ie payday Wednesday is Bill night. I pay all bills online and do our banking. The alt Wednesday I do paperwork and file everything that arrives in that fortnight. Thursday is batch baking. Friday is sewing/mending if required and bathrooms. Saturday I change all sheets every alt weekend and Sunday I cook up 2x meals for the freezer/week.
    Wow. That is fantastic!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Rose&Aurelia&Hannah could I please have some of your energy! I would love to get all of those things done every week, But rarely do!

Just one tip for you OP, with the swimming lessons, I have a swimming bag where I store swimmers and towels and goggles (and anything else you might need for swimming lessons), so just have to grab it on swimming lesson day and won't forget anything. Then when we get home I put swimmers and towels straight in the wash, then when they're washed and dried straight back into the bag. Saves me rushing around the house trying to find everyone's stuff twice a week!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBug'sMum View Post
    @Rose&Aurelia&Hannah could I please have some of your energy! I would love to get all of those things done every week, But rarely do!

Just one tip for you OP, with the swimming lessons, I have a swimming bag where I store swimmers and towels and goggles (and anything else you might need for swimming lessons), so just have to grab it on swimming lesson day and won't forget anything. Then when we get home I put swimmers and towels straight in the wash, then when they're washed and dried straight back into the bag. Saves me rushing around the house trying to find everyone's stuff twice a week!
    God swimming stuff PITB! We have an area in the laundry for this. I try and wash swimmers straight away too but not repacked as ds swims Friday, dd1 Saturday and both do nippers Sunday. Plus we have a pool so now it's warming up they swim any time they can, though I don't always wash swimmers and towels in hot weather we often re-use if have run of hot days.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tell us how you get organised.

I'm like RAH. EVERYTHING is on a list. Washing hair, shaving legs, shops, etcetera. I have one list of things that must be done that day, others on another list to do when I have time, a good day. I have bins and washing baskets in every room, so it looks tidy even though it may not be that way. I spend up big on storage tubs and keep everything in them and labelled. Meals are planned in advance and do a big cook on weekends or when mum is helping.

I also have a strict quiet time 1-3pm everyday where nothing is scheduled (apart from big events like birthday parties or Christmas). No visitors or appointments. I make that clear to everyone. I will also not do any chores during that time, that is my time for me. (Toddler/newborn permitting)

I always have a sink full of water/detergent and wash as I go.

I do a load of washing daily. I try to keep on top of things like cleaning as it is easier/faster than doing a big clean.

Early to bed early to rise. Appointments are scheduled as early as possible. It feels good to start getting stuff finished by mid morning, also spend less time looking for parks, dealing with queues or waiting.

Online shop for everything possible.

I drink a lot of caffeine.

I never used to be this way, it's taken a long time but after awhile it becomes routine.

Love using fancy kikki k stationary to keep organised and stick lists all over my fridge. I tick off everything as I go along too to give me a sense of accomplishment

Trust me there are days and weeks when it all falls to **** but I tackle one thing at a time off my list and devote 5 minutes to a certain task and gradually get back in sync again.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

BornToBe  (02-12-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (02-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read responses, but will after posting.

DP and I have 2 kids; 3 years and 6 months. He works from home, probably 50-60 hours per week. I'm at home currently, but when I go back to work I'll be doing a minimum of 24 hours per week; shift work.

My first tip, before anything else, would be to declutter. That may be harder to do, given that you live with your mum...but I'd go through EVERYTHING that belongs to you and your kids. Be as ruthless as possible. If it doesn't get used regularly or have significant sentimental value, take it to an op shop. If you could get away with taking a picture of something for the memories, then do that and get rid of the item. Get your kids to do the same. Bribe them if necessary (e.g. if you do this properly and to my standards, you can get one new toy/item that you really want, or I'll take you to X place etc.).

As for the other issues, tackle one thing at a time. If your mum's supportive, sit down with her and talk about the things you want to change. Ask for her suggestions and come up with a plan for changing your habits relating to an issue. Have your plan written somewhere in sight. Get your mum and your kids to help with keeping you accountable. Same goes for the kids...get them to write up what they can do to help address an issue, and keep them accountable.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

SuperGranny  (02-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine View Post
    I'm like RAH. EVERYTHING is on a list. Washing hair, shaving legs, shops, etcetera. I have one list of things that must be done that day, others on another list to do when I have time, a good day. I have bins and washing baskets in every room, so it looks tidy even though it may not be that way. I spend up big on storage tubs and keep everything in them and labelled. Meals are planned in advance and do a big cook on weekends or when mum is helping.

I also have a strict quiet time 1-3pm everyday where nothing is scheduled (apart from big events like birthday parties or Christmas). No visitors or appointments. I make that clear to everyone. I will also not do any chores during that time, that is my time for me. (Toddler/newborn permitting)

I always have a sink full of water/detergent and wash as I go.

I do a load of washing daily. I try to keep on top of things like cleaning as it is easier/faster than doing a big clean.

Early to bed early to rise. Appointments are scheduled as early as possible. It feels good to start getting stuff finished by mid morning, also spend less time looking for parks, dealing with queues or waiting.

Online shop for everything possible.

I drink a lot of caffeine.

I never used to be this way, it's taken a long time but after awhile it becomes routine.

Love using fancy kikki k stationary to keep organised and stick lists all over my fridge. I tick off everything as I go along too to give me a sense of accomplishment

Trust me there are days and weeks when it all falls to **** but I tackle one thing at a time off my list and devote 5 minutes to a certain task and gradually get back in sync again.
    Yep. All very very true. Even feeding the kids brekky, lunch and dinner are on the list. Then at the end of the day there is a real sense of accomplishment.

Today I even put 10min break with a cuppa on mine

Thanks
    Reviews
    A couple of tips from me...

- kids clothes ready the night before. School bags packed. Shoes on the pile too. Drink bottles washed and filled.I don't have school aged kids but I have two kids in child care and this is a huge help.

- before I go to bed I do all the dishes and wipe down the bench. Waking up to a clean kitchen really is a great feeling. It also means you can start the day on a fresh note.

- I agree with abig clean out. The new year is a great start.

- I follow blogs like the 0rganised H0usewife. She has charts etc that you can print off for chores but you can easily make these yourself or Kmart has them.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Totally there with LMS & RAH. Scheduling every day is the only thing that keeps us all happy, dressed, fed, relatively tidy. The house runs well and meals are cooked and washing done because that's what I have on my list - it takes a certain amount of discipline, but it gets easier & becomes habit so that when it all slips, you can see the effect on everybody - getting ratty and worn out. That gives you the incentive to smash your schedule the next day.

Also 100% agree about quiet time. When you are parenting small children solo, quiet time of a couple of hours every single day is incredibly important for physical & mental health.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BornToBe For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (02-12-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (02-12-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (02-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    Oh my gosh, you have all made my day! I'm excited to read all of your advice and to think that I'm going to do this! I think scheduling/routine is a fantastic idea. I never put my kids into a routine as babies and I really regret it now. It would have made us all much happier. But, I can't/don't dwell on the past much these days so what's done is done.

I have so many questions but will come back at some stage and ask as I'm at school for pick up now then home for housework.

Can someone recommend a daily/weekly planner? Either one I can print off and stick on the fridge or one I get from the shops, I don't mind.

Thank you, thank you, thank you xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    So many great tips in this thread - thank you!! I'm so unorganised but something that has helped me this year is using a calender to schedule everything in. Visually I like to see what is happening in the month and everytime I make an appointment, I write it straight in the calender.

I too have a cupboard in the laundry with swimming stuff so it's easy to grab on swimming days.

I also have designated areas for school bags that I empty every day and have sitting ready to go.

I don't make lunches the night before, don't meal plan or cook snacks in bulk and more often then not - have dirty dishes from the night before greeting me at breakfast 😧

Sometimes I'm in the supermarket twice a day (shameful!) - so I'm going to try to focus on all of these things in the new year. I have found since becoming a SAHP, I have become inefficient whereas when I worked part time and managed the kids I was so much more organised. Why is that?