+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I make lists and schedule EVERYTHING! Even naps are put into my diary as are simple things like washing my hair.

I make FB events for everything dh and I have to attend or do. That way it turns up on both our phones and in his case he gets informed even tho he might be away when it was booked it.

Food is planned every fortnight and grocery shopping done then. Then I only pick up milk/eggs/fruit in the middle.

I have a schedule of what chores need to be done on what day. I make a list of jobs to do every day the night before for the day itself. And I HAVE to do what I have listed. I was up till midnight last night catching up on chores as I was out during the day. Everyday I do the dishes, a load of laundry to wash/put away, meal prep, general tidy up and mop the playroom. Then I have specific weekly jobs Ie Mondays is ironing and vacuuming. Tuesday is bathrooms and changing towels. Wednesday is paperwork/bills. Ie payday Wednesday is Bill night. I pay all bills online and do our banking. The alt Wednesday I do paperwork and file everything that arrives in that fortnight. Thursday is batch baking. Friday is sewing/mending if required and bathrooms. Saturday I change all sheets every alt weekend and Sunday I cook up 2x meals for the freezer/week.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (02-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    I make lists and schedule EVERYTHING! Even naps are put into my diary as are simple things like washing my hair.

I make FB events for everything dh and I have to attend or do. That way it turns up on both our phones and in his case he gets informed even tho he might be away when it was booked it.

Food is planned every fortnight and grocery shopping done then. Then I only pick up milk/eggs/fruit in the middle.

I have a schedule of what chores need to be done on what day. I make a list of jobs to do every day the night before for the day itself. And I HAVE to do what I have listed. I was up till midnight last night catching up on chores as I was out during the day. Everyday I do the dishes, a load of laundry to wash/put away, meal prep, general tidy up and mop the playroom. Then I have specific weekly jobs Ie Mondays is ironing and vacuuming. Tuesday is bathrooms and changing towels. Wednesday is paperwork/bills. Ie payday Wednesday is Bill night. I pay all bills online and do our banking. The alt Wednesday I do paperwork and file everything that arrives in that fortnight. Thursday is batch baking. Friday is sewing/mending if required and bathrooms. Saturday I change all sheets every alt weekend and Sunday I cook up 2x meals for the freezer/week.
    Wow! Can I ask what happens when something unexpected occurs? Like someone gets sick or the baby doesn't nap? I ask as I so often get derailed from my plans to get organised. Mil was over last month and felt on top of things and plans a foot to keep things like that but on her last day I get call from endo that I need a rebiopsy of thyroid tissue and that sends me into spin how do I give a crap about mess when my cancer might be back? Then I get all clear and get shingles! Then big fall out with dp and now worried about dd1 so spend spare time at night reading books or seeking advice online...
    As a wanna be organised person I'm genuinely curious as to what organised people do when the unexpected happens?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    Wow! Can I ask what happens when something unexpected occurs? Like someone gets sick or the baby doesn't nap? I ask as I so often get derailed from my plans to get organised. Mil was over last month and felt on top of things and plans a foot to keep things like that but on her last day I get call from endo that I need a rebiopsy of thyroid tissue and that sends me into spin how do I give a crap about mess when my cancer might be back? Then I get all clear and get shingles! Then big fall out with dp and now worried about dd1 so spend spare time at night reading books or seeking advice online...
    As a wanna be organised person I'm genuinely curious as to what organised people do when the unexpected happens?
    I have a bit of an idea what you mean re sickness - I have never had cancer but I do have a disease which affects quality of life every day, so I kind of get where you are coming from with this. I had bad news yet again from the dr on Monday and now need more follow up tests and we need to escalate treatment to more hard line drugs (which worry me) as they just can't get it under control. Yesterday I was in a hole of a crankiness and I got literally nothing done because I am just angry at the universe.

But today I have to get on with it. I've had my crap day indulging in feeling mad and crying, my tests and appointments are scheduled and now there's nothing more I can do until wait for those appointments and then go from there. So today I have to get on with it because I have a pile of washing to attend to and appointments to get to.

I find taking my anger out on scrubbing the shower can be soothing too

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (02-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not as organised as I'd like to be but I try.

I have a chart on the fridge for parents/kids weekly activities. Also includes library days at school/which days the kids wear formal or sports uniform etc etc. I look at it every morning without fail, even by term 4 when I should know what's going on!

I also have another large planner calendar that is on the wall where everyone can see/access it. Every single thing happening gets written on this. Parties/events/meetings/commitments of any kind etc. We all live by this calendar so if anything gets left off (not mentioning any names cough *dh*) things can get messy.

I'm very diligent with the washing. I have soaker buckets set up for grubby uniforms (DS's formal shirts are white - nightmare). I wash clothes every second day without fail. Towels every Monday, sheets - hmm I'm not as organised with those. I iron the kids uniforms and some other items. I keep on top of the ironing by dealing whatever is in the pile when dealing with the uniforms as they are unavoidable.

We have a cleaner so are blessed in that way. What is great about it is each week we have a big tidy up before she comes. It motivates us to make this happen (and the kids are now in the habit of culling craft/drawings etc each week).

I can't go to bed with any mess in the kitchen. This means I'm sometimes up cleaning it late at night, but it's worth it!

I also make school lunches at night as I'm not a morning person at all. Each holidays I have a massive bake day and freeze a heaps of lunchbox items for the term.

Each month I clean something that doesn't otherwise get attention. Eg - the couch, windows, wipe skirting boards, fridge etc.

Thanks
    Reviews

Wow, I'm impressed! But I want to ask similar to Freyamum- what happens when you are busy? For eg the weekend just gone we were away for the entire weekend, so there goes my bed sheet day, my grocery day, my washing day, my lounge/dining clean day. The weekend before that, we were busy the entire Sunday, so similar big jobs were missed. Then as I work Mon/Tues, I don't have time to catch up then, and then by the time I have Wed off (sometimes), there is just soooo much to do.
    I find this happens to me a lot, it all just snowballs until it's totally out of control.
    And then it's too overwhelming, so then it gets left longer! It's a vicious cycle!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    You all know dh works away. I'm home with a newborn 3&5yo. Plus I'm currently in the midst of packing to move next week. I plough thru. Ie my newbie only slept yesterday on me. So I just did my jobs with her on me. It was hard yes but it just had to be done.

With sickness - tbh I'm rarely sick and my kids are rarely sick so I have no experience per se. On the Times I have been sick I just plough thru because if I feel sorry for myself no one is there to pick up the slack.

Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Wow, I'm impressed! But I want to ask similar to Freyamum- what happens when you are busy? For eg the weekend just gone we were away for the entire weekend, so there goes my bed sheet day, my grocery day, my washing day, my lounge/dining clean day. The weekend before that, we were busy the entire Sunday, so similar big jobs were missed. Then as I work Mon/Tues, I don't have time to catch up then, and then by the time I have Wed off (sometimes), there is just soooo much to do.
    I find this happens to me a lot, it all just snowballs until it's totally out of control.
    And then it's too overwhelming, so then it gets left longer! It's a vicious cycle!
    With busy weekends. Ie this coming weekend we are busy with my niece's baptism that I'm catering for plus 2x parties that we are attending. So I just predict that I'm busy so I will do my jobs before.

Like now I'm packing and sorting before we move next week. today I got up at 4am to pack boxes before my kids woke up at 6am. I will pack some more when they nap this arvo.

I am tired but there is zip I can do about that. For me, my life is better if I'm organized and have a clean house so I'd rather be tired than have a mess.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

coco123  (24-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    Wow, I'm impressed! But I want to ask similar to Freyamum- what happens when you are busy? For eg the weekend just gone we were away for the entire weekend, so there goes my bed sheet day, my grocery day, my washing day, my lounge/dining clean day. The weekend before that, we were busy the entire Sunday, so similar big jobs were missed.
    If that was me- I'd do online shopping for that week and have it delivered or click&collect. Wash sheets the day/week before/week after. And clean one room Thursday and the other tues.

Before I went on Mat leave I also worked 3.5 days a week and I'd often be up till 10/11pm finishing off jobs after kids in bed.

I'm not saying my way is perfect but it works for me. Other people find it too regimented and I accept that it won't suit everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews

With busy weekends. Ie this coming weekend we are busy with my niece's baptism that I'm catering for plus 2x parties that we are attending. So I just predict that I'm busy so I will do my jobs before.

Like now I'm packing and sorting before we move next week. today I got up at 4am to pack boxes before my kids woke up at 6am. I will pack some more when they nap this arvo.

I am tired but there is zip I can do about that. For me, my life is better if I'm organized and have a clean house so I'd rather be tired than have a mess.
    Ohhh ok... so, being even more organised than your normal organised. I don't like my chances of doing that lol.
    I need to try though, I'm sick of the mess!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have 2 girls - 5 and 1. I try and get the 5 yr old to help with chores and tidy up after herself, keep her room clean etc.

I'm a work in progress too but I've really embraced a minimalist lifestyle.

Started with removing everything from our home that we don't use or love, so a big declutter! Tackle kids stuff too- namely toys. And if u bring something new into the home, something else must b removed to keep your items to a minimum. Remember the golden rule: A place for everything and everything in its place 😊

Then I started applying it to our budget and spending. I really think before I spend money now, I pay all our bills fortnightly so when a bill comes in there is little if any to pay. Money stress sucks so I'm very careful in this area.

Meal planning - keep in simple too. Cook easy healthy meals, they don't have to be fancy. If you don't own a slow cooker, get one. I also try and cook double amounts so if I'm making say a lasagna, I'll make two and either freeze one or have it two nights in a row.

I also have a cleaning schedule. I've divided the house into 5 zones and tackle one each weekday. I find it makes the job seem less enormous! Of course everyone's situation is different if you work etc so find what works for you. You can also apply minimalism here to your laundry. Get everyone on board and have a massive wardrobe cull - this will help with ur washing load! If ur super keen Google capsule wardrobe or project 333.

I'm sure I'll think of more. But yeah to sum it up : simplify in every way u can xx ( there are some great websites and you tube vids on minimalism too if ur interested) Good luck!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SoThisIsLove For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (02-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I find that I can think more clearly and feel better overall if the house is not cluttered. Maybe you could start by having a massive clean out and de-clutter of the house? We've just moved house, so in the process we had to pull everything out of cupboards and I was forced to throw away broken toys, donate unused toys or clothes.

If you set your mind to it, de-cluttering a room shouldn't take too long. You go in there with garbage bags (one for rubbish, one for donating - make sure you label them). Kind of do a spring clean I guess, one room at a time. When we were getting ready for the house auction it took one day per room to clean them out (you have to be realistic, one room a day is reasonable, depending on how much stuff is in there).

Anyway that's one little tip from me. I just think the mind is clearer if the house is clean and un-cluttered.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (02-12-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (02-12-2015),SoThisIsLove  (02-12-2015)