+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    How long does she nap when sshe sleeps on you? Is it longer than if you put her down or the same?

What is her temperament like overall? Eg. Chilled out, super alert, sooky, smiley etc.
    It varies, sometimes an hour sometimes 20mins. That's in arms or cot only difference would be that it can take up to an hour to get her to sleep in her cot and only mins in arms.

She is pretty alert and smiley although she will only play on her own on the floor for tops 10 mins before getting upset - I do t know if that's 'normal' or not as she is my first.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Baby will only sleep on me. Help!!

My advice:
    - keep plugging away at solids as per the medical guidance you are receiving. At 6 months babies are getting bigger and older - milk alone can't satisfy then. Lack of solids can lead to hunger and wakings.
    - get bub a comforter.
    - stop feeding to sleep. Feeding to sleep is a common cause of catnapping and night waking. When bub stirs between sleep cycles bub looks for everything to be the same. If the boob/bottle is missing, or if you have placed bub from your arms to a cot - if anything is different bub will wake and think "what the!"
    If you can't follow the "eat play sleep" pattern of routine then try to feed bub until bub is drowsy but not asleep.
    - increase time between naps. 1 hour isn't much. At 6 months I would be aiming for 2.5 hours awake time. At 8 months edging closer to 3.
    Last edited by VicPark; 28-03-2016 at 08:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    How did you go with the first sleep consultant? What were their recommendations? Why do you think you may not go to sleep school if you get a spot?

I agree that 1 hour awake time is too short.

I think (in my opinion) majority of sleep 'issues' (I say 'issues' as some people see them as issues for them, others see them as normal and just what babies do) are from getting the timing of sleeps wrong. I fed DS to sleep until 12 ish months and whilst he still woke at night it was only once or twice and his naps in the day were longer than catnaps, so he was a baby that could transition between most sleep cycles without boob again.

But he had more obvious tired signs so I could get *his* schedule right for him. DD on the other hand didn't have any tired signs which made figuring out *her* schedule was extremely harder and she was a worse sleeper.

Think about it, if you lay down and you're not tired, you're not going to go to sleep. It's probably why it can take you an hour to get her to settle anywhere other than your arms. So if you try and settle her at the 1 hour mark and it takes her an hour to fall asleep, try and out her down after 1 hour and 50 minutes.

I truly think timing is everything.

On a final note, what your baby is doing is common. As with anything, it's only a problem if it's a problem for you. So if you're struggling with the status quo, then some changes will hopefully work. But if you're coping, just go with it and Bub will naturally sleep better as time goes on, maybe not as soon as if you try to change things up though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    My advice:
    - keep plugging away at solids as per the medical guidance you are receiving. At 6 months babies are getting bigger and older - milk alone can't satisfy then. Lack of solids can lead to hunger and wakings.
    - get bub a comforter.
    - stop feeding to sleep. Feeding to sleep is a common cause of catnapping and night waking. When bub stirs between sleep cycles bub looks for everything to be the same. If the boob/bottle is missing, or if you have placed bub from your arms to a cot - if anything is different bub will wake and think "what the!"
    If you can't follow the "eat play sleep" pattern of routine then try to feed bub until bub is drowsy but not asleep.
    - increase time between naps. 1 hour isn't much. At 6 months I would be aiming for 2.5 hours awake time. At 8 months edging closer to 3.
    Thanks VicPark

I try to put her down for a sleep when I see tired signs, perhaps in trying when she isn't ready.

What kind of comforter would you suggest?

I'm hoping solids will help, I have always found t hard to know if she is getting enough milk as my supply dropped and I have been on motilium for awhile.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    How did you go with the first sleep consultant? What were their recommendations? Why do you think you may not go to sleep school if you get a spot?

I agree that 1 hour awake time is too short.

I think (in my opinion) majority of sleep 'issues' (I say 'issues' as some people see them as issues for them, others see them as normal and just what babies do) are from getting the timing of sleeps wrong. I fed DS to sleep until 12 ish months and whilst he still woke at night it was only once or twice and his naps in the day were longer than catnaps, so he was a baby that could transition between most sleep cycles without boob again.

But he had more obvious tired signs so I could get *his* schedule right for him. DD on the other hand didn't have any tired signs which made figuring out *her* schedule was extremely harder and she was a worse sleeper.

Think about it, if you lay down and you're not tired, you're not going to go to sleep. It's probably why it can take you an hour to get her to settle anywhere other than your arms. So if you try and settle her at the 1 hour mark and it takes her an hour to fall asleep, try and out her down after 1 hour and 50 minutes.

I truly think timing is everything.

On a final note, what your baby is doing is common. As with anything, it's only a problem if it's a problem for you. So if you're struggling with the status quo, then some changes will hopefully work. But if you're coping, just go with it and Bub will naturally sleep better as time goes on, maybe not as soon as if you try to change things up though
    Thanks for the help.

It worked for the first three days but then she got a cold so we relaxed with it and was never able to pick it back up, it was basically just getting her into a feed play sleep routine and once in bed patting the mattress till she drifted off but I have not been able to get this to work again.

I don't want to do cry it out, and not sure if the sleep school will push that.

It's partly my fault as I have given up trying to get her into her own bed, so I just let her sleep in my arms or in our bed at night. I now feel nasty for trying to change it.

I feel like I need that extra support to implement a change.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    God I could have written this. DS is almost 8 months and his sleep is all over the map. Some days he sleeps wonderfully, others 20 minutes at a time or in my arms. And will only settle for me 9 out of 10 times. He asleep on my right now watching MKR like a newborn. I gave up after resetting him 3 times.

I am exhausted.

We are heading to O'Connell family unit in April to hopefully get some tips. But I'm trying not to sweat it. This is all well within the realm of normal so going with the flow as best I can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sarahjane914 View Post
    I don't want to do cry it out, and not sure if the sleep school will push that
    Depends on the school. The private ones are more controlled crying / comforting which is why we're going public. If you're in Melbourne I'm happy to share what I've found out about some schools.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby will only sleep on me. Help!!

Quote Originally Posted by lileitak View Post
    God I could have written this. DS is almost 8 months and his sleep is all over the map. Some days he sleeps wonderfully, others 20 minutes at a time or in my arms. And will only settle for me 9 out of 10 times. He asleep on my right now watching MKR like a newborn. I gave up after resetting him 3 times.

I am exhausted.

We are heading to O'Connell family unit in April to hopefully get some tips. But I'm trying not to sweat it. This is all well within the realm of normal so going with the flow as best I can.
    It's so exhausting, right?!

Does he sleep in his bed at night?

I was reading about o'connell's, was the wait list long? My referral is for queen Elizabeth, I didn't choose that's just where my mhn sent the referral.

Writing this in bed with little miss asleep next to me, that's the other thing I have to get into bed with her at night and her bedtime is around 7.30pm I can normally roll out but she will wake up around 15 min later so I race back in give her boob and she goes back to sleep. So bad I know!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope. He has a gorgeous (and very expensive!!!) cot and travel cot but sleeps with us. It started at 4am only but I gave up somewhere along the way.

All up the wait will be 8 weeks which is double what they quoted. I think you'll get routed to the closest public. I've head good things about all 3 (O'Connell, QE and Tweedle). All very gentle and non controlled crying. I couldn't do it. It works for some, but not me.

I'd get on the list. There is not harm, or cost. And I figure if I hate it, I can walk out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and I'm usually in bed at 8 too! I only brought him out tonight because I wanted to watch TV for a change.