+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The other 2 people who look after him are family members and I don't think she would pass on the info.
    Though I've seen the boy down the street with one of the people he stays with at a time that he should be sleeping...
    The other people also don't have other kids and it is completely one on one stuff so I often wondered if it was that.. because he had another kid here..

I've messaged the mummy asking how he sleeps when he is at home. But I'm feeling really nervous about it all.
    He went back to sleep just after 12 today and he is still asleep now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It does sound a bit unusual. He must feel awful, poor little guy.
    My DS is 16mo, he cruises but I don't see him walking any time soon. I'm not too worried about it but he does see a Physio once a month for a few reasons. DS has just transitioned to 1 nap and sleeps for 2-3hrs.
    I wonder if the little boy you're looking after goes to bed very late or is up several times at night.
    I think saying something is definitely the right thing to do. They really should get him checked to rule out any dietary deficiencies or more scary things like diabetes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just messaged the mum, she will be here in the next hour to pick him up. And he is still asleep! I put him down just after 12.

I asked how much he sleeps at home.
    She replied.. day naps? One or two. Sometimes none!
    And I said I'm just trying to work out why he is sad all the time and why he is always so tired.
    She replied that sometimes he has 2×3 hour naps in the day.
    And I said "wow that's weird"
    She replied.. he is weird...

I don't know what else to ask?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd just straight up ask if she's mentioned it to the GP because you're concerned there might be something going on. If he just likes to sleep he wouldn't be so unhappy when awake. Something must be going on.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (13-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How well do you know her? Is it purely a professional relationship or are you also friends?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My eldest daughter was walking at almost 19 months, but if this little guy is not even close to walking there could be underlying issues maybe, even though every child is different. I feel sorry for the little guy because it sounds like he is getting passed around way too much. I think he needs much more of a constant daycare setting where he is around the same minders when he isn't at home. If he is with you one day and then two different families on different days, you would all have different routines. That's a lot for a little fellow to deal with. Are you willing to have him for more than one day a week? He might calm down if he is in a familar minding routine for those three days when his dad doesn't have him. Maybe bring it up with whoever drops him off or picks him up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The walking thing I don't think bothers me so much. I just didn't know whether that was important information when looking at the bigger picture.

I had a good chat to mum when she came to pick him up.
    I woke him about 2o minutes after she got there at 440.

I explained the difference in sleeping etc and that I thought he was getting way too much sleep.
    She said he sleeps from 8 til 630-7 each night.
    Some days he has 1 sleep some days 2 and some days he even sleeps for 2x3hr naps.
    He had 4 and a half hours at my place today plus the hour nap in the pram at 9.

I think the constant change thing for him probably doesn't help like you say.
    I don't think she would want me to have him more. She gives me some pocket money for it and she doesn't for the other 2.
    And im moving shortly so won't be doing it next year.
    That also means there isn't much point me offering more days now.

I mentioned that I thought maybe some sort of deficiency etc maybe iron as I know that makes you tired and strongly suggested it is mentioned to a doctor or MCHN at 18 month appointment shortly.

I think I've done all I can?
    She seems a bit blasey (no idea how to spell that) about it all.
    Saying he is just weird etc.

That and I don't know why he was good while his dad was away and not when his dad is around?

I don't know what else I can do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another update....
    I saw the father down the street today. We got chatting..
    And I said "oh does (the mum) tell you how much he sleeps at my place" he replied yeah its great...
    I can't help them anymore.
    They think it's normal and don't seem to want to look into it anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    I think you've done all you can do.

They don't follow SOS if he follows those sleep patterns you've mentioned, he would only be having one afternoon nap consistently every day not 1 or 2 or none, there would be consistency, so it sounds like there's something else at play because they clearly don't follow SOS, him eating sachet food wouldn't make any difference (unless of course it was his diet for ALL meals and they don't have any protein in them), I think the cause is their lack of worry about the situation and if you can't get through to them, you've done all you can.

I do get the feeling though you may be suggesting there is some kind of DV involved as he was okay with the dad out of the picture for that period of time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How confusing for the poor kid?

No wonder he is crying! Kids get confused with childcare and upset let alone between lots of houses. I would make a complaint to probably families. Why is he crying and sleeping so much? He could have something seriously wrong! Cancer or anything :/