+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    when we're in Melb I always wish for a just "us" Xmas (dh and I for now, there'll be 3 of us once bub arrives in February). when we're in wa we stay with my family so Xmas eve and Xmas day is spent with them. dh's family here are a bit difficult, nobody is talking to anyone so it always ends up being lots of different catch ups required. it just ends up being tiring and annoying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have breakfast at my grandparents house, we have done this since the year I was born. They would be crushed if we didn't do it and we just love it.
    Lunch I host with my dad at his house. We have anywhere between 12 and 25 people. I cook everything and just love doing it.
    Late in the day we will drive the 2 hours back to our house so we can have Boxing Day with my ILs.
    I love it and wouldn't have it any other way

Thanks
    Reviews
    We will be doing Christmas Eve with my partners family and Christmas morning with my family. Then later in the afternoon his family will be coming over and we'll do a meal together

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We'll alternate
    Last year
    My family Xmas eve and Xmas breakfast
    DH's family for Xmas lunch
    DH's family for all the family Xmas lunch the weekend after Xmas.

This year
    My family Xmas eve to Boxing Day (we're travelling and I refuse to travel on Xmas day)
    DH's family we'll catch up with when they decide what they're doing.

Next year
    DH's family for whichever meal(s) they want us around for and my family will slot in elsewhere.

I miss when Xmas day was confined to one day and then I'd always have friends over for leftovers on Boxing Day. But it's important to family and it's one day, so we will do it. But I won't be drawn into any pa stuff on either side. Everyone gets a turn in one way shape or form. And because there are 2 families, each year someone misses out on the main event.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    I am very lucky as XH has very little to do with the kids and he never sees them at Christmas so they're all mine <3

I put my foot down a couple of years ago and told my family that for me it's all about the kids and I won't be going out for Christmas lunch etc. if they want to see us, they come to us. It works great so far. I do miss the big Christmas get together but can have that when the kids are sulky teenagers haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My PIL live in western Victoria and my folks in Bris so we have alt Xmas with each one.

PIL- Xmas is just a quiet lunch with dh's parents and brother/SIL&son. Then dinner is leftovers and PIL go to bed by 7/7=30pm.

My folks. Xmas eve midnight mass then coffee/cake/eggnog and carols till 5am with my mum/brother and his family.

Xmas lunch is just dh and our little family.

Xmas dinner massive gathering with EVERYONE!! Usually 40-50ppl at our house or my aunts. Ends around 2-3am. Tho last year we went to 5am.

I much prefer my folks Xmas. But unfortunately we are having an in law Xmas so it will be very quiet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With family and inlaws

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We used to spend all day running from house to house, but now with Dhs siblings all having kids as well, we celebrate with all of my ils on Xmas eve. It alternates every year as to where.
    I've started hosting Xmas lunch mostly for my family, but anyone is welcome, as I'm not interested in seeing my grandmother, aunts uncles etc.
    It's so much better not having to drag kid around the country side all day long.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I associate Christmas with family - extended family, including the good, the bad and the ugly. We try to alternate one year with one side (in laws), next year with next side. Every other year we travel interstate but that is getting harder and more expensive (additional children, additional plane ticket etc).

Last year we combined both families at our house and I loved it. It was huge, but wonderful and crazy and full on. I couldn't do that every year, but might do it every so often with the cousins are up. Just so nice to have all the kids together especially, they absolutely love it.

This year is smallest ever, just 5 of us but we're going out to lunch buffet to keep it simple.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (01-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We've had the same Xmas day plan for the last 11 years or so - we go to my parents house and have a pretty relaxed day of celebrating, then we stay the night.

Prior to this, we used to have a big extended family Xmas every year in Sydney which would be hosted by one of my Aunties. They were really great times and I'd love to do it again one year, but my parents don't want the hassle of travelling down there (and I'm sure they'd be heartbroken if we decided to go down to Sydney without them).

My IL's & SIL live quite a distance away, but 3 years ago they all came and holidayed in our area and spent Xmas day with us and my folks.