+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Who do you celebrate Xmas with? just yourselves or family too on the same day?

How do you celebrate Christmas Day? I would love it if it were just ''us'' (me, hubby & kids) but no way in heck would MIL be happy. I'd be the wicked witch of East if for once i insisted it's just us and we will catch up with everyone another day or next day. and i'm talking about another 15-18 more family members that MIL & SIL insist on being there... none are from my side. I am getting the sh**ts having to celebrate it with SIL's entire family there too. No question of her doing her own thing with her extended family members (aunts, uncles etc..) Mine don't celebrate it at all as they are a different religion.. but seriously MIL always wants Lunch & Dinner at someone's house. And sits on her backside waiting to be served. I flatly refuse to do it with 3 kids that are young, no way. i've done it once and i paid the price with extremely ferral kids. DH doesn't care, just goes with the flow.. i've heard of stories from SIL she's had people there still at 1am.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

TreeGirl  (30-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I am working night shifts this year. We are meant to be having dinner with my dads girlfriends family at her place but currently, i dont feel like celebrating due to a few things i have going on and the constant arguments i am having with my dad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by GlitterFarts View Post
    How do you celebrate Christmas Day? I would love it if it were just ''us'' (me, hubby & kids) but no way in heck would MIL be happy. I'd be the wicked witch of East if for once i insisted it's just us and we will catch up with everyone another day or next day. and i'm talking about another 15-18 more family members that MIL & SIL insist on being there... none are from my side. I am getting the sh**ts having to celebrate it with SIL's entire family there too. No question of her doing her own thing with her extended family members (aunts, uncles etc..) Mine don't celebrate it at all as they are a different religion.. but seriously MIL always wants Lunch & Dinner at someone's house. And sits on her backside waiting to be served. I flatly refuse to do it with 3 kids that are young, no way. i've done it once and i paid the price with extremely ferral kids. DH doesn't care, just goes with the flow.. i've heard of stories from SIL she's had people there still at 1am.
    Just do it. Go to dinner but have the rest of the day as yours.
    I did it the best thing I ever did. We love love love it. It's the best of both worlds. It took 2 Christmas for everyone to get used too. Yeah I coped **** for those 2 seasons but it was sooo worth it.
    Now it is just assumed that is how it will be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hear you. We usually spend more time on the road travelling to see all the family over the two days that sometimes we just wonder why.

Next year will be the first year with a child of our own though, and I'd like nothing more than to enjoy at least Christmas Day at home 'just us'.

Maybe you could introduce a new way of celebrating where you do one year just your family and the alternate year with the extended family?

Thanks
    Reviews
    DP's parents do Christmas breakfast and mine do lunch so thankfully that makes it easy. In my previous relationship it was a bloody nightmare - MIL insisting everyone be at their place bang on a certain time, sit down to the full cooked meal that she ran around stressing out trying to cook, yelling at everyone if they didn't do exactly what she wanted when she wanted. It was miserable! So DP & I visit both families on the day but are home by late afternoon. Boxing Day we stay here so DD can play with her toys. The BBQ is going for whoever wants to call in, but we ain't movin' for no one 😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    We do xmas morning at our place just us, then lunch with everyone (my side), then head home late arvo and crash out.

DH will be taking DS to see his family on boxing day. His parents aren't really ok with that as they want everyone to be at theirs for xmas, but they'll just have to take what they can get.... yes, there's a long story there!
    Last edited by Frankenmum; 30-11-2015 at 17:28.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Who do you celebrate Xmas with? just yourselves or family too on the same day?

We always spend it with my parents. Every second year my sister and her fiancé are there too. Sometimes my FIL comes along if we are near where he lives (we live interstate to the rest of our families) and it fits in with his plans. Otherwise we see him sometime in Dec usually.

This year we are staying at a holiday house with my parents, sister and her fiancé. We'll se FIL and BIL and SIL at some stage around Xmas

I actually miss having big Christmases with all the family. My parents both came from but families so whenever we went to a grandparents house there'd be a heap of aunts and uncles and cousins. Now everyone has their own families and most of my grandparents have passed, we don't really do that anymore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I love having the whole family involved in xmas day, we've never missed a xmas together , we take turns and xmas morning we all go over early to either mine, mum and dads or my sisters house to open presents together, then lunch at mum and dads then we go home about 3 when my 2 SIL and husbands and kids come over for dinner , I love that DS sees his grandparents/cousins etc on xmas day and we always have tons of fun

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (30-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When my grandparents were still alive we'd be with dad's family for a big hot lunch (grandma, aunts and uncles and cousins about 12 of us) then mums family in the evening for a bbq (about 20 all up). When my grandparents on each side passed away this stopped. Dad doesn't really get along with his brother and sister so we don't catch up with them often and my mums family all do their own thing. So now it's just my parents, my brother, my uncle's ex wife and my DH and I. DH has no family here so we have no other family to see. We have a big hot lunch together generally at mum and dads. Sometimes we'll have ring-ins come (that's actually how I met DH - at my parents on xmas day!) .
    Even though it's generally small my mum goes OTT and is up at 6am cooking doesn't sit down all day. Drives me nuts but her choice as we'd all be happy with a bbq or cold chicken platters lol. We had them over to ours once but I'd rather go there as I can leave when I want rather than having them hang around all day and evening!
    Now we have our DD who'll be 6 months at xmas so that will be interesting. I'd be happy just hanging out at home the 3 of us but my family is small and live 5 minutes away we'd never not be able to see them. Luckily though it's not too full on we normally go around 12 and home by 5-6pm and no DH family to see so it's pretty easy. DD is the only bub in the family so she will be the center of attention!
    OP sounds like your xmas do is quite full on so you could test the waters by saying this year we're going to have a low key celebration at home and catch up before or after xmas instead. If you can't do that then just go for the minimum acceptable time and head home to enjoy some family time. At least if you go to someone's place you can leave when you want.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Year 1- Xmas Day: H and I at H's parents with H's brother, wife and daughter (7 people). We are there from 10am until about 4pm. Big lunch. Home and just us for the evening with wine and a nibbles platter.
    Jan (date varies): As above minus BIL's wife, plus our two kids (8 people). Big lunch. 10am-4pm.

Year 2- Xmas Day: 8am-6pm H, I, 2 kids, MIL, FIL, BIL, wife, daughter plus kids' mum for an hour before lunch [don't. even. so unfair] (9-10ppl). Massive lunch and gift giving ceremony (so OTT). Home and we do our xmas with the kids... yepp we wait until after 6pm to open santa gifts.

And alternate.

This year is a Year 1 but we were planning to spend Xmas with my family in Ireland. Instead it will be some sort of mash between 1&2... f knows...

ETA: next year we have the kids for xmas and we will have a 9 month old too
    Last edited by DT75; 30-11-2015 at 18:36.