+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 2 year old sleep issues.

My DS is 2.5 and we are having some issues with his sleep. He will only sleep through the night if he goes to bed late. If he's in bed at 10pm he will sleep until 9am. But if he goes to bed at what I consider a 'normal' time for a 2 year old (7:30-8am) he will wake up at 3am and just won't go back to sleep. He will lay down for a little while, sometimes for half an hour or longer, but he just tosses and turns the whole time until he gets up. At first I thought hunger might be the issue so I would offer him a snack when he woke up but most of the time he still won't eat anything until breakfast time anyway.

This seems to happen on alternate days. So, he will wake up at 3am and crash again at about 7-8am, and will want to sleep until lunchtime. If I wake him up early he is so grumpy and sad and it takes him ages to wake up and he refuses to eat or play or do anything because he's still so tired. If I force the wake up, he goes to bed early anyway and then we do 3am wake up again. So I tend to just let him sleep, and then he is not tired until late. Goes to bed late, sleeps in. Then he's not tired for his nap so he skips it and goes to bed early, then wakes up at 3am.

So, does anyone have any ideas on how to get him sleeping better? This all seems to have coincided with the move to his big boy bed. I don't mind the late bedtimes so much if it means we sleep better but it's also hard not getting much adult time with DH, plus we want to start daycare soon and he will need to be sleeping and waking at normal times.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would try a groclock. Would he understand the concept of staying in bed until the sun shows up on the clock?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to FirstTimeMummy2012 For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (30-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can you move his 10pm bedtime forward by 5-10min every day?.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (30-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Does he still have a day sleep? My kids have all gone feral around that age (or much earlier) if they still have a day sleep. Often won't sleep at night until 930 pm.

So I sacrifice the day sleep and they go to bed early. Yes they can be feral in the afternoon but I'd rather than personally than have them awake all evening.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (30-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default 2 year old sleep issues.

The timing of the day sleep effects the morning wake up time. If he wakes at 3am I would try to keep him up until midday, then let him sleep 2 hrs max, then 7:30-8pm bedtime. You would need to be consistent for a few days, but should start sleeping later in the morning. I would wake him at 7:30 each morning if he is not awake too.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (30-11-2015),DarcyJ  (30-11-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (30-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBug'sMum View Post
    The timing of the day sleep effects the morning wake up time. If he wakes at 3am I would try to keep him up until midday, then let him sleep 2 hrs max, then 7:30-8pm bedtime. You would need to be consistent for a few days, but should start sleeping later in the morning. I would wake him at 7:30 each morning if he is not awake too.
    Sorry but how is this a truism? At 2.5 day sleeps were a disaster for my 4 kids. Guaranteed to result in them being awake until 930/10 every night. I know not every child is like this but if I let my 2 yo have a late day sleep she's be awake until 10pm every day.

I think until we know what the OP is doing with day sleeps we're all guessing.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (30-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would persevere with the earlier bed time. If he wakes I would get into his bed with him, cuddle him and get him back to sleep. He is still little, but will eventually sleep through. It will take a while and lots of patience but he will get there.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 30-11-2015 at 14:16.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (30-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBug'sMum View Post
    This is true for my kids. My 3&5yo nap 1-2hrs every day and sleep 7/7.30pm-5.30/6am.

I wake by 6.30am latest and if they skip a nap for whatever reason they are in bed by 6pm.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (30-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Sorry but how is this a truism? At 2.5 day sleeps were a disaster for my 4 kids. Guaranteed to result in them being awake until 930/10 every night. I know not every child is like this but if I let my 2 yo have a late day sleep she's be awake until 10pm every day.

I think until we know what the OP is doing with day sleeps we're all guessing.
    The OP said, when he wakes at 3am he crashes at 7-8am and sleeps until lunchtime.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (30-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    At 2 if my boy had a sniff of a day sleep it would be 10pm bed time.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (30-11-2015)