+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    That sounds like my two who had reflux. One wasn't medicated and was difficult like that for a long time. With the second I jumped on it and asked for losec right away and when it kicked in (can take a little while) it made a world of difference and I finally had a happy baby. If you haven't already I'd ask for a referral to a paediatrician. They can properly diagnose if it's reflux and then medicate/try prescription formula as necessary. Hang in there it's such a tough time, but it does get better one way or another. Hugs.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

meandmyboys82  (01-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Honestly I agree with your dr that it all sounds totally normal. My DS was exactly the same. Sometimes he would just cry and be unsettled and there was nothing I could do. I think it had a lot to do with the fact that he would only ever catnap during the day and wasn't having long enough naps. I never did work out how to get him to nap longer. He just did it on his own one day without me doing anything different.

I'd still give the reflux formula a go anyway and see if it helps, but it might just be one of those things where you have to wait it out. It's hard, but things will settle down. Just remember all babies are different and just because he is not as "easy" as your first doesn't mean there is something wrong or that you've done something wrong.

Also, I think it would help you a lot if you could get away for a couple of hours and leave bub with DH so you can take some time for yourself to just relax. Go see a movie or have a coffee or whatever and just get away for a bit.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

meandmyboys82  (01-12-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (30-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My second was exactly the same - and big hugs because I remember those days. DS1 was such a happy Bub but DS2 never settled and was always crying. I'd look further into reflux as many others have mentioned. Once we knew what it was, so much easier to manage. My midwife actually suggested I sleep him on his tummy which worked so well. I know that's against sids guidelines and to begin with I used to sit up and watch him sleep but it seemed like finally he rested without pain. Just remember that things change so much during that first year - I hope this is around the corner for you

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zander15 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Zander15 View Post
    My second was exactly the same - and big hugs because I remember those days. DS1 was such a happy Bub but DS2 never settled and was always crying. I'd look further into reflux as many others have mentioned. Once we knew what it was, so much easier to manage. My midwife actually suggested I sleep him on his tummy which worked so well. I know that's against sids guidelines and to begin with I used to sit up and watch him sleep but it seemed like finally he rested without pain. Just remember that things change so much during that first year - I hope this is around the corner for you
    My second was also a harder baby than my first. DS was a happy bubs but DD just screamed and screamed, wouldn't settle and wasn't feeding great. I didn't feel it was normal and my GP prescribed Losec for reflux (and with me being dairy free) the change was huge. I also started to sleep DD on her tummy during the day while I was there with her - she slept much better (obviously this is against SIDS recommendations so was a personal call).

If you feel it's not normal, please seek further help from your GP (or another GP if yours isn't willing to investigate further). It's so stressful when you are trying to look after an unsettled baby, look after a toddler/preschooler and complete day to day tasks.

Best wishes OP xxx

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could try an over the counter antacid like Gaviscon. If that helps, he may have silent reflux and you can investigate longer term medication like Losec with your GP.

Hang in there.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jamessmum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sounds really tough. It sounds EXACTLY like my child with reflux. My Dr said that when they are at the point of inconsolable screaming, & you just cannot settle them, thats when you medicate for reflux. Before she was diagnosed,I was sure it was reflux & saw a dr who didnt really believe me,but told me to give Infant Gaviscon a go. You can buy it without a script at the chemist. It CHANGED MY LIFE. She was a different baby almost instantly, & I went back to (a different)dr & described the change in her, & got a script for losec. She also had food allergies - CMPI is a really common one. What are bubs bowel movements like? If they are frequent,explosive or frothy or mucousy &green,these are all signs that may point to an allergy or intolerance. My DD went on Neocate (prescription formula) & we never looked back. But my first few months eith that baby was the worst time in my entire life. I totally get what you are going through &would like to offer up a big hug. I hope things can improve soon.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default When does it get better?

And chance of trying a cooler fabric ring sling or a different carrier that suits bub? It sounds like the closeness, movement and upright position might help him to settle and give you both a break? And at least you would be hands free to get some fresh air or do something nice with your older boy. Do you have a local babywearing group where you could try some different carriers?

I understand how you must feel. I find crying very stressful, and it would make me anxious if it was ongoing like you describe. Hopefully it's a developmental leap and it will pass soon for you. Take care.
    Last edited by clbj; 30-11-2015 at 23:27.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to clbj For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by clbj View Post
    And chance of trying a cooler fabric ring sling or a different carrier that suits bub? It sounds like the closeness, movement and upright position might help him to settle and give you both a break? And at least you would be hands free to get some fresh air or do something nice with your older boy. Do you have a local babywearing group where you could try some different carriers?

I understand how you must feel. I find crying very stressful, and it would make me anxious if it was ongoing like you describe. Hopefully it's a developmental leap and it will pass soon for you. Take care.
    He def likes being close to me and being walked around.
    We had a better day yesterday, however it was still difficult to get him to take his bottles. 3 out of 4 i had to walk him around and hum to him to get him to drink.
    Dh let him cry for a bit in the late afternoon and he wore himself out. He actually had his 8pm bottle for the first time in awhile and fell asleep straight away. Bed time is usually a long process of trying to get him to sleep.
    My ring sling is cotton so it's not overly hot, but bub is struggling with the heat at the moment. Even at night i have him in a short sleeve legless onesie and he keeps kicking the light muslin i use as a blanket off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    That sounds really tough. It sounds EXACTLY like my child with reflux. My Dr said that when they are at the point of inconsolable screaming, & you just cannot settle them, thats when you medicate for reflux. Before she was diagnosed,I was sure it was reflux & saw a dr who didnt really believe me,but told me to give Infant Gaviscon a go. You can buy it without a script at the chemist. It CHANGED MY LIFE. She was a different baby almost instantly, & I went back to (a different)dr & described the change in her, & got a script for losec. She also had food allergies - CMPI is a really common one. What are bubs bowel movements like? If they are frequent,explosive or frothy or mucousy &green,these are all signs that may point to an allergy or intolerance. My DD went on Neocate (prescription formula) & we never looked back. But my first few months eith that baby was the worst time in my entire life. I totally get what you are going through &would like to offer up a big hug. I hope things can improve soon.
    I think I'll give the gaviscon a go. Was talking to the manager of our unit complex yesterday and she had similar problems with her son. She had tried mylanta and it worked instantly. She also suggested baby chiro.
    I had been taking him to bowen therapy, and it did help a little. The therapist said they can only do so much though and that he suspects reflux.
    His poos are fine, he goes once or twice a day. They are a little on the runny side since we switched formula almost a week ago but dr said it's normal.
    I kust don't get why he fights his bottles. I know he's hungry, he drinks about 80ml then starts screaming, and that's when i burp him and have to walk him around for the rest of it. Only sometimes though. His bottle during the night and first up in the morning he takes no problem at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DarcyJ View Post
    Honestly I agree with your dr that it all sounds totally normal. My DS was exactly the same. Sometimes he would just cry and be unsettled and there was nothing I could do. I think it had a lot to do with the fact that he would only ever catnap during the day and wasn't having long enough naps. I never did work out how to get him to nap longer. He just did it on his own one day without me doing anything different.

I'd still give the reflux formula a go anyway and see if it helps, but it might just be one of those things where you have to wait it out. It's hard, but things will settle down. Just remember all babies are different and just because he is not as "easy" as your first doesn't mean there is something wrong or that you've done something wrong.

Also, I think it would help you a lot if you could get away for a couple of hours and leave bub with DH so you can take some time for yourself to just relax. Go see a movie or have a coffee or whatever and just get away for a bit.
    I wish i could get away but bub won't let dh feed him. I don't know why. It makes things very hard.
    It started when dh went back to work. Maybe he's just not used to him anymore.
    I go to the shops with ds2 some mornings after dropping ds1 off. He usually sleeps in the pram or sits quietly so that helps a bit. But i don't get any me time.
    I lost my dad 3 weeks before ds2 was born so i haven't properly grieved for him either so everything builds up on the really bad days and i break. Christmas is going to be tough this year