Closed Thread
Page 58 of 100 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Minib what about mixed feeding? I give ds 150-200 formula a day and then mixed express breast milk and breastfeed so who knows how much he's getting. Lately the early morning and first morning feed is purely breastfeed as he feeds well and I have lots of milk. Then as the day goes on if he gets 4 let downs I give him 60 ml formula top up (sometimes he doesn't finish) and late at night I express and do 80/60 breastmilk and formula. But I'm still demand feeding. I just can't get him down again and I don't want to play then eat. I read somewhere newborns can't overeat? Ds drinks the bottle quite slowly and refuses when he's full so I'm hoping it's ok. Tonight he only took 90ml and stopped. I will see on Friday's weigh in.

Being at my mums ds no longer self soothes at night. We used to get 100% self soothe at night m. Oh well we will just have to retrain. He's using dummy to soothe now. I hope we can take that away eventually too. I think I'm ok with cio now that ds is almost 3 months. Wait and see when i go home how he is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Omg the dummy @Gelati I love and hate it at the same time! How did your DS learn to self soothe? What did you do?

I'm ok with CIO but I think 6 weeks might be a bit young?

Oh with mixed feed he said try to stick to the planned feed time as much as I can. But he also said baby will spit out or stop when she's full. And if she's hungry she will let me know too. Because dd doesn't spew when i feed her earlier than the planned 4 hourly, he said its fine. So I think @Gelati you are doing well with your DS. Especially the first few feeds are purely BM so it's hard to gauge. Your feed is more BM still whilst bbhope is purely formula and I'm about 50-50 now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hope so @Minib. It's so hard transitioning just something new to get used to again and I hope he's ok. He's sleeping isn't that much better anymore. More catnapping again. There's no routine anymore to how much he sleeps at night either. I used to know it was 4 hrs then 3 hrs. Then he started sleeping through. Now some nights it's 6 hrs some it's 5. Some it's 7. I have no idea anymore and who knows when the long stretch starts anymore. Could be anytime between 8-12.

I'm not sure really how the self soothe at night happened. He was always quite tired at night so just started putting him in there and see if he could do it and eventually he just did it. Lights out and he could just sleep. During the day it's hit and miss. We used to rock and try not to pick up. Then eventually we could just put him in and he's fall asleep himself. Now all that's gone out the window so guess I'll just have to try again when at home. We sometimes use vacuum or hair dryer. It's really just hit and miss!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's hard isn't it. Between feeding and sleeping that has taken so much energy and focus!

Our Bub used to self settle better before she has fallen in love with the dummy too much. Looking back fee first 3 weeks were easiest sleeping wise

Thanks
    Reviews
    ps: Yes, i suspect HA is too thin so he gets hungry faster.
    @Minib: yes, as i mentioned above, i feed him every 3--4 hr. Try to settle before the time is up. However, do whatever it works for you. If you want to keep that feed, play, sleep routine, go ahead. There is no right or wrong.

Also, I personally do think that it is too young for babies younger than 6 months to do CIO and CC. That's why Ngala didn't teach us that. Babies basically don't have the cognitive ability to do it at this age. When they cry, they want something. Give it a go if you want. Sometime I lost it and let him cry. He didn't slow down the cry instead the intensity has gotten worse. Sobbing and shaking. When i calmed down, i went in to pick him up. If i could, I would also try to avoid CIO and CO for sleep training in the future. I told Ngala that i'll go back when DS is 6 months old and still can't self settle. Few of my friends also didn't use CIO/CC until their baby turned 6 months old. Have a read on some research papers about this. Anyway, you will find sleep habit changes all the time. DS didn't like to nap in the swing and now he did. It used to take forever to get him to sleep at night but now he falls asleep quickly and even in his cot. We use dummy and don't mind it at all. When he is ready to use his thumb, he will. At the moment, he just can't put it into his mouth consistently, In fact, when he has enough of dummy, he spits it out and falls asleep. If he hasn't done with dummy, we have to put it back in. This is personal choice. Do whatever you want.

DH and i only have a minor disagreement. He still puts him on his chest and rocks him to nap in the glider chair. I let it be because he isn't at home much to do the "skin-to-skin" contact. It is natural way for baby who needs attachment. DH also agrees that DS is too young for CIO/CC.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Minib View Post
    Omg the dummy @Gelati I love and hate it at the same time! How did your DS learn to self soothe? What did you do?

I'm ok with CIO but I think 6 weeks might be a bit young?

Oh with mixed feed he said try to stick to the planned feed time as much as I can. But he also said baby will spit out or stop when she's full. And if she's hungry she will let me know too. Because dd doesn't spew when i feed her earlier than the planned 4 hourly, he said its fine. So I think @Gelati you are doing well with your DS. Especially the first few feeds are purely BM so it's hard to gauge. Your feed is more BM still whilst bbhope is purely formula and I'm about 50-50 now.

Hi Girls...Sorry for the threadcrashing, but I have to interject here to let you know that any type of CC/CIO is definitely not recommended for bubs under 4 months but preferably 6 months. 4-6 months is when any method of "sleep training" should be attempted.

Before then, it's the "pat and shoosh" method that should be adopted. I'd also like to say, please don't worry about dummy use at this point either. Your bub's won't form negative associations to them at this young age. I still use one for DD now but only for sleep time with her pink material rabbit "Cuddly".

Here's a link talking about the different methods:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_baby-sle...ics_1505715.bc

Here's another link where 6 Professionals talk about why they don't advocate for CC/CIO methods (same as the Australian Association of Infant Mental Health don't either).

http://www.**********.com.au/baby-sleep/cry-it-out/

I'm not telling you what to do either way, just want you all to make an informed decision if/when you do.

P.S....Stupid BH won't let me post the site name...Just type in "b e l l y b e l l y" (all one word) in place of the asterisks.
    Last edited by BlondeinBrisvegas; 18-01-2016 at 21:17.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

Minib  (18-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Minib yep it's so time consuming. Our son doesn't actually need or likes the dummy it's just something he uses to soothe himself to a finally stage of falling asleep then he's done with it. If you give it to him too early he rejects it. So we have to actually hold him and he's calm and then give him the dummy. Or if he's crying like crazy after a little time we stick in the dummy then he's out like a light. The variation makes putting him to sleep quite hard. I think 6 weeks is too early for cio. Cc might be ok? Depends on what type of cry. Wailing probably not. They are unlikely to calm down when wailing,

@bbhope yeh cio depends on how long. If 5 minutes then maybe ok or is that cc? I wouldn't let him go longer than 5 mins. But yeh right now his self soothe is out the window. Sigh.

Thanks
    Reviews
    BTW, @Gelati also gave a pretty good example. There is no consistency in term of sleep habit. It is a hit and miss. My DS does self soothe in the swing now. I put the dummy in and give him a small blankie (a soother cloth?). At night, I let him self soothe and he did it once or twice at the beginning of the night. If DH is in charged, he normally likes to pat him to sleep in his cot. I let him do it. After night feed, he always falls back to sleep without me doing anything most of the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @BlondeinBrisvegas: exactly my take. That's why Ngala didn't teach me that. Only pat and shhh as "sleep training".

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (18-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Been reading a lot tonight and talked to DH as well. Thanks ladies for all the input. All I've read is CC or CIO should only be introduced at 6 months. She's 6 weeks old. That's a huge difference. Will have to get better at pat and ssh method.
    @bbhope what is the method ngala recommended? Just the pat and ssh?

Wish my dd will spit out dummy like she used to.

Thanks @BlondeinBrisvegas will read those links.

I'm not fixated to try cc or CIO. I just want dd to sleep better without worrying about her dummy falling out. Maybe I have the wrong size dummy?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Minib For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (18-01-2016)