Closed Thread
Page 54 of 100 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @bbhope - oh poor bubby. Sleeping is def a learnt skill. Someone told me that and it made me feel better once I heard it cos now I understand. I realised that Bub is always different. Everyone told me routine and schedule and that actually stressed me out more. They all said 1-1.5 hr awake time
    Etc. seriously now I realise Bub is not a robot. And trying to keep up a schedule actually made me anxious cos Bub doesn't fit into a schedule. So sometimes he is awake for over 3 hrs and is fine didn't grump at all. In fact he went crazy when I tried out him to sleep after 1.5 hrs. Then my mum said he's not tired unswaddle him and let him play so I did that and he stopped crying. Then he fell asleep in the car seat for 1.5 hrs after being up for 3.5 hrs so who knows! The mhn is correct, just be led by bubs. I guess when they're older you need to set boundaries for them like they need their nap time and can't just play forever but right now, it's just go with the flow. So I'm gonna do that and see how I go. No more schedules for me and just try to read Bub.

Sometimes nothing works @bbhope. Just have to let them scream it out even in your arms. I hate those times. Really gets my heart racing!

Bub has only fed 4 times today. Maybe 550-600ml 😳 Will wake him before midnight for another feed before his nighttime sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @Gelati: i am actually very keen to put DS on a schedule. ie. feed, wake, sleep cycle. Typical text book case. Unfortunately, it doesn't work like this in real life as you and i know well. Not many lucky parents can reach this goal. DS feeding is on schedule, though. +/- an hr. If one feed is late, i can control the formula portion so he won't drag out for the rest of the day. This is to ensure that he is taking a full bottle for the last feed between 6:30pm and 7pm before bed.

Sleep school always goes with the textbook. ie. put the baby to the cot as soon as you see the tired sign or 1.5--2 hr max up time. As i mentiioned in the past few posts, I find that while it is useful to learn the soothing technique, it doesn't work really well with DS. We learned a lot in the last 4 weeks with the sleep training. It is better to only put DS down when he wants to nap rather than forcing him to nap at 1.5hr mark. That causes a lot of distress for him and us --- the crying part. Yes, every baby is different. I am still learning about him everyday about his sleep habit! Get him up and play if he doesn't want to nap. Sure, sometime he really gets overtired by the evening and becomes very grumpy. I would rather be having a short hr grumpy baby than stress myself and DS out the whole day for getting him to nap! It was like that for 1.5w after we got back from sleep school. We were exhausted! Now, i can at least eat lunch, typign on BH (LOL) while he dozing off in the swing.

That's why we don't want to send him to sleep school again until he is over 6 months when he is mentally ready. I just have to accept that he is a fussy baby....

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope I think the schedule thing and awake timing is a good guide. I still watch the clock but I also watch Bub now. Sometimes I do miss the tired signs and he becomes over tired and those times ds needs to be held to sleep and he screams bloody murder before konking out but if we get it right sometimes he can self soothe in the cot during the day. Spose we are only human can't get it right every time. Today ds got overtired after being up for 1.5 hrs only so go figure. Sometimes yawning is overtired other times it's not. Some days I'm relaxed when hearing him scream other times the scream stresses me out and I'm too anxious to get him to sleep. It's just different every time and I'm learning to not let that stress me out. Previously I'd get so anxious cos I'd think he was regressing and all my hard work went down the drain. Now I know they are just different all the time and not to be scared if he has a bad day. You know your son the best and also need to do what makes your life easier too. One midwif told me - you are the boss not him. Make him work around you not the other way around. That's why now we wake him before midnight for a feed hoping that means his sleep time will be more aligned with our own. It's all trial and error.

@Tanej78 - sorry this has turned into all baby sleep talk. How are you? Did you get results from your pgd test? When does dh head off back to work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's Friday ladies! Woohoo. Another week down and our DHs can help us for the next 2 days. I really love the quality time being solo with my DD but by Thursday I'm also really keen to get some help lol.

I also look at clock as guidance but try to watch DD for sign too. Like this morning after a feed she didn't want to play at all. She fell asleep during feed and won't wake up so I just put her down for a sleep and not worry about play or tummy time. Next feed though we will def do it so she knows it's day time and not get it mixed up with night. Although I still don't think she understands day and night yet.

She was so well behaved yesterday except between 6 to 10 pm. Won't sleep and cried like she was in pain. Thought she might want to do a poo but nothing yet.

I'm really glad that both of you @Gelati @bbhope are able to read your sons better. It gives me hope that I can do that too soon.
    @bbhope gosh my DD def sleeps better than yours. That's why I said I don't know how you did it. I would have broken down and probably checked myself in to the MBU a few times or moved in with mum.

DD is such a noisy sleeper. Keep grunting in her sleep.

So true all trial and error. I have been changing the order of bath and feed. Used to bath then feed but she got too tired to feed. Now I feed and bath but she then won't sleep straight away. Will keep it going for a week before switching it back maybe.

We haven't started reading to her. I have just been talking and singing to her. Ran out of topic to talk to so I just tell her about TV shows haha.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Minib: you are doing great. Hmm...does DD always fuss in the evening? I don't know how i do it. i just have to, there is no other choice. I am looking into baby monitor. DH suggested me to move to the office room next door. I tried that the other day, slept on the floor and i still could hear him! Last night he started to wake up at 11:30pm and i stuff the pacifier back in multiple times. I don't want him to wake up before 1am so the night feed will last until 7am. He fell asleep but i didn't. Then, he had to vomit all over me after the night feed at 2am. Grr... So...i was awake until 4am.

I havent read to DS either. We didn't have any children book. But i did show him some picture book which he shows no interest at all. He just wants to eat it. LOL.
    @Gelati: baby sleep regression happens and no one can control it. My friend baby was like a text book baby. Put in the cot and nap every time. At 4 months, sleep regression hits, his baby was waking up every 1.5 hr at night!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could be witching hour @Minib. They are more fussy during that period. You are doing great I haven't read to him I tried it once and he wasn't interested. I talk to him tho and now he talks back sometimes. He likes being talked to. Today u tried tummy time and he resisted and flipped back on his back and hit his head in the mat and cried bloody murder!! Haha aww poor little thing. Then he would go back in the mat again cried every time. They are such funny little characters.

@bbhope that's happening to one of my friends now. Waking every hr.! Oh your poor friend from going to sleeping well to that. That is very very hard. My other friend had it too but not as bad. Went from sleeping through to waking once or twice. What a cruel joke!

Oh wow vomited. Is that cos he had too much or reflux?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and take back the poop comment. Ds has been doing 2 massive poops a day so far.

Thanks
    Reviews
    He vomited probably because he just had a full bottle and I was lifting his butt a lot to clean the poo.

Finally, went to see the gastroenterologist yesterday. Anything he suggested isn't too complex. A good paed would have been able to suggest it and less waiting to get an appt. don't get me wrong. We really get something out of it. We sent DS stool for testing. All signs point to possible allergy. Nan HA or aptamil HA or allerpro was suggested. Aptamil has supply issue so that can be a problematic switch. I don't want to try nan because the iron is quite high which DS is easy to get constipation. I took the risk and wen with aptamil. Will see how it goes.

Haha got back from dr office yesterday and DS was asleep in the car. We drove around the neighbourhood until he woke up. So much to get your kid to sleep. Lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope she fusses more in the evening than during the day. Good to hear they are now testing your son's poo. It would be good to know what he's allergic to. Nan ha does sound like very high iron which is good and bad. I'm going to ask paed on Monday if nan ha gold is the best formula for my dd.
    @Gelati haha your son Is funny. Hurt himself rolling over then cry blaming you.

So I've tried the medela sns - rubbish! So hard that it stresses me and dd out. I kept having to pull my dd out as she doesn't latch properly. Not her fault. I just have one extra thing to put inside her mouth so I couldn't get her to latch on properly. In the end she pulled herself out of frustration and refused to latch. I tried for 2 days and almost got me in tears.

In the end I'm going to stick to the old method. BF then top up with bottle. Speaking of bottle, it also looks like dd is getting frustrated with pigeon SS teat. Seems like it's too slow for her now. I tried the avent 1 again as I have heaps of those and gosh it just flows so fast. She could drink the bottle in half the time it took her using pigeon teat. I'm not sure why avent one flows so fast. I'm going to buy pigeon S teat tomorrow and try.
    What am I going to do with hundreds avent teat that I have though?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If your dd doesn't have any problem, nan HA gold is quite good. As I said, protein has partially broken down.

DS sometime got frustrated with the SS teat too. That's only if he is super hungry and wants to gulp the whole bottle quickly. The SS teat makes him work harder. In a situation like this, I just swapped out and used the S teat. Only worked when DH was at home helping, though. Otherwise, DS just has to suck it up. Haha...yes I have a lot of avent teats. We used one for him to take the medication. He is such a pig. He would drink anything in the teat! He won't drink it if it is from the syringe. Also, I was worried that he would refuse the new formula because everyone says it tastes awful. Guess what? He drinks it all. No wonder he is a "solid" baby.

Came back from the friend party. DS was well behaved. Well, we took turn to let him sleep on us. He even had his first dip in the swimming pool. He was just confused what's going on. Oh....there was a 8 months old baby at the party. OMG. DS is like her size. He just doesn't look like a 3 months old!