Closed Thread
Page 31 of 100 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Minib - 120ml is awesome! Is that after a feed? In any case you shouldn't need top up anymore with that kind of volume. I only get that now. I have a feeling mines the wrong size too. But I didn't know they make different sizes. I have a spectra breast pump and j think mine is too big for my nipples but not sure.

Bub is 9 weeks on Friday. He had a terrible day today. Wouldn't feed properly on the boobs kept falling asleep or fussing or crying which meant he didn't eat enough and slept short spurts which made him more tired and less effective in sucking and more grumpy. Horrible day! I refused to give him bottle tho. I'm exhausted.

Completely understand about being reluctant to start self soothing but if I could go back I would start that as early as possible. As long as Bub is full, dry and burped with no other health issues I would try not to rock in my arms to sleep. My mum started the self soothing at 4 weeks but it was already a little too late. It's harder for us now to teach him. But also understand you being reluctant to do it with her cos she's young and you are still building trust etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @Gelati how do you find spectra? I heard good review about it. I use medela symphony (hiring) and the breast shield too small for my nipple. That's why my nipples hurt. I told the LC this morning who told me to buy bigger shield and corrected the baby attachment. Nipples feel better today and made me feel more encouraged to feed and pump. That's 150ml now in between feed and after feed. Bub is feeding every 4 hour today so I could do some decent pumping in between feed.

It's hot today maybe that's why he's fussing so much?? I gave my girl EBM top up at 7 pm. She was unsettled too. After the EBM she has been sleeping for 2 hours now.

Oh really? Too late at 4 weeks? We better start soon then. It's just harder work lol. So much easier to rock her to sleep or let her fall asleep on my boob first haha. We are removing dummy too. She doesn't even like it that much now. I'm happy about that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh wow 150ml that's so good I've never got that much! Go you! How long do you need to pump to get that and how many let downs? I can only get 3 let downs max on the pump after 30min but ds can get 6-7 if he sucks properly.

Yeh it does seem to be correlated with the heat. He slept 2.5 hrs in the afternoon after I forced him to get 5 let downs. Couldn't self soothe tho needed to rock him.

I did that too in the early days. Fall asleep on the boob then into the cot. So much easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I really like spectra I have the s1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    150ml was from multiple pump. On a good session I get 50ml from 10 mins of double pump. Right now I'm expressing and hardly get any. I'm not sure how many let downs during pumping. When DD sucks, I aim for 4-5 let downs before she falls asleep.

She's so unsettled tonight. DH tried the self soothing but ran out of patient haha. I slept through the tanty haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been reading along just no time to do a proper reply. My apology.
    @Gelati: got my referral.

As for self soothing, I would start early BUT I don't know what I could do different to make that happened early on. DS is extremely hard to put to bed. Ngala sort of tell us that he is too young to self soothe. They are born to have attachment. By the time Bub starts to suck on fist and thumb, he will be ready as I was told. Anyway, sleep training sorta worked for two days and then this heat wave (I think), Bub hasn't had much appetite either. It is impossible to get him nap at all. Weird that he has no trouble at night minus the reflux or stomach problem that's bothering him. I just read that baby with colic or reflux is unlikely to sleep through the night until it is over which is hopefully by 13w. My friend sent me "baby wise" book. What it says is similar to what we r doing since I switched it to full formula feeding. The method works for BF too. We r a bit late on sleep training and with my mom around, it was impossible. Everything was so chaotic and it was such an unpleasant enviro for Bub given that we argued in front o DS every time. Baby can feel that.
    @Tanej78; that's sucks about job!!!! I am so sorry to hear. xx

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bbhope For This Useful Post:

Tanej78  (24-12-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Minib - those results are so good for expressing. I think I should try double pump as well. Mentally it makes me feel like even more of a cow tho. Lol. Sometimes I get nothing too. Normally towards the evening.

I'm not really sure how to teach self soothing either and if ds is fully crying we pick him up too. That's why he isn't 100% self soothing. He can at night when it's pitch black and no stimulation. During the day he finds it much harder. If he starts crying when we put him in there it's impossible but if he's quiet and happy there's a chance. I try to not pick him up and rock him in the cot to sleep when he is inconsolable. I've noticed he tries to stare at something to put him to sleep. Yesterday he wouldn't have a bar of it and had to be held each time. I can so see us at sleep school.

@bbhope not sure you can teach a colic baby self soothe from so early on. So what does the book say? 100% formula or 100% breastfeeding and not mix?
    Ds sleeping amount has not changed overnight since birth. Not getting longer at all. I'm thinking of giving him top up before bed so he has a fuller stomach for longer.

The hardest part now is ds fussing on the boob.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Gelati yours is a double pump right? Try it. Save time or you could pump more with same amount is time.

A friend said can't put baby down for self soothing once they start crying. It's too late. So there's a very small gap between happy tired to grumpy tired. I think sleep school is great. Use it if needed. It's free with phi anyway right? Will you go to Mitcham or Masada if you have to?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry for not being able to catch up.
    DS is very demanding. After DH being at home for so many days in a roll doing full time care, he suggests to get a babysitter to help me when he goes back to work. Lol.

The method from the book works fine for full bottled feed, mix feed and breastfeeding. The tricky part that I don't see it happening is for demand and cluster breastfeeding early on. This method is similar to what we r using now, ie, schedule+cue+parent direct. The main point is to give full, satisfying meal at once.

DS hasn't had much appetite since Sunday. We thought it is hot weather related but it is nice and cool today and yet refuses to take a full bottle. It has been exhausting for constant feeding.

To update on the sleep school, it was working for 2 days. Then the whole no eating started.

They taught us to Soothe him in the cot and avoid picking him up despite fussing. Only pick him up when he is in the distress crying. Leave the room when he dozes off. No control crying whatsoever. They don't recommend that for baby younger than 6m. DS can't self soothe just yet but he is getting there with occasion of putting his fist into his mouth. Startle reflect is still bothering him. Go back in to check on him when he fusses again. Repeat.

Unfortunately, we find that it is so difficult to calm him in the cot. We ended up rocking him again in our arms but put him down while he dozes off. Sometime a bit late with him fell asleep completely. The idea is to get used to sleeping in the cot. He started fussing and crying the minute his head hits the mattress! By saying that, we haven't been very successful but it is an improvement for not having him sleep on us. We gave up sometime when he just wouldn't calm and wake up every 2 mins crying. overtired and becomes extremely unsettled.

It is so right that babies behave like they were in the womb. DS used to so wide awake, moving non stop one day and completely quiet sleepy the next. Yesterday, it was impossible to put him for nap. Today, he is very sleepy and no mood in any wake time. For a day like this, our rock him dozing off method plus sleep school method work fine. At the moment, we just hope that he is back to his appetite so we have one less thing to worry.

I think if you can get Bub to get used to sleeping in the cot, that would be a good start. With my mom around, it was very chaotic and Bub didn't get to sleep in his cot much at all. With a baby who doesn't just sleep anywhere, which I won't mind at all, a habit is important.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quick post will catch up on reading later but merry Christmas ladies. Thank you for being there to listen to me vent and all the advice.

@Tanej78 i hope you are able to spend it with wider family / friends and dh gets his job sorted out quickly with good news. It's been a hard year for you. You deserve some nice wine and chocolate X
    @bbhope - hope you get some well earned sleep X
    @Minib hope DD does lots of wet and dirty nappies for you now your milk is in full swing X

DS gave me the best Christmas present - sleep! He slept 5.5 hrs then 4 hrs. We hosted Christmas Eve here last night maybe that wore him out but whatever it was I'm grateful. I'm sure it was a once off only.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Gelati For This Useful Post:

Tanej78  (25-12-2015)