Closed Thread
Page 16 of 100 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nah I think 20ml is good. I got nothing when I first started pumping. Even now I normally only get 30ml after a feed or nothing if he's drink it all.

Have you seen a lactation consultant? They really helped me with recognising when he's drinking and when he's not and what to do if he stops sucking. I went to the counsel one and she was fantastic. I didn't go at first cos I thot I didn't have a problem with latch on but realise it's much more than just latch on technique.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I saw one in the hospital which was great. MHN who is also a lactation consultant is coming on Monday but I might enrol in a class or see another one next week. I'm really keen to increase milk supply and stop relying of formula. DH won't like it cos he hates seeing our baby cry. He thinks I'm starving her which might be true.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Minib View Post
    I saw one in the hospital which was great. MHN who is also a lactation consultant is coming on Monday but I might enrol in a class or see another one next week. I'm really keen to increase milk supply and stop relying of formula. DH won't like it cos he hates seeing our baby cry. He thinks I'm starving her which might be true.
    You're not starving her. Babies cry for all sorts of reasons. Take DH to the class, they're for men too. Having a husband who is supportive of breastfeeding is really helpful to your role.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    (Also I sent you a pm @Minib in case you'd like to chat further I feel bad for derailing all your threads!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're welcome anytime @ScubaGal

@Minib the mhn might be able to decipher what a hungry cry is. For us it was the inconsolable cry that didn't change in intensity or pitch no matter what we did and he had a dry nappy. The hunger was overriding the tired but eventually we'd get him to sleep even tho he was still hungry.

As long as you are pumping when giving formula it will still increase supply. I gave 30ml top up after each feed and pumped for 20min. I would feed him for 30-45 min. This was at about 3 weeks when he wasn't gaining enough.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Default Day 5 blasto FET on day 4? #3

Quote Originally Posted by Gelati View Post
    You're welcome anytime @ScubaGal

@Minib the mhn might be able to decipher what a hungry cry is. For us it was the inconsolable cry that didn't change in intensity or pitch no matter what we did and he had a dry nappy. The hunger was overriding the tired but eventually we'd get him to sleep even tho he was still hungry.

As long as you are pumping when giving formula it will still increase supply. I gave 30ml top up after each feed and pumped for 20min. I would feed him for 30-45 min. This was at about 3 weeks when he wasn't gaining enough.
    Pumping isn't as efficient at increasing supply though. Babies get a lot more out than a pump can and will also trigger a stronger let down reflex.

Edit to add that newborns normally lose a bit of their birth weight because they are born full of amniotic fluid that they've been breathing in and out so they lose weight initially and then regain it.
    Last edited by ScubaGal; 12-12-2015 at 11:23.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep I regretted not feeding more regularly in the first 3 days. Apparently when mums have epidural it's also common for bubs to lose more weight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Minib: 1.5max that's at night now. DS is cooperating to sleep in his cot at night! A blessing. He didn't in the past. DH takes him over at 5am when I get 2hr solid sleep during weekday. He has to leave the house by 8am to work. An hr commute. Trade off between having a larger space than living closer to work. On weekend, I can sleep until 10am. 5hrs!! But today the electrician wants to come at 9am so I have to wake up early. Bloody. Still hasn't shown up. It sounded like your boob camp is working. I would have continue BF if my mom is still around to take DS off me during the day. His inconsolable crying (in a non poo day) puts me off BF at some point. And we need to get feeding under control. With BF and top up, we just never know how much he eats. We feed in demand and it gets quite difficult especially reflux babies confuse hunger with reflux. Overfed in the end. I am on mortilium and took some advices on the other thread but was never going to produce enough.
    @Gelati: I used ear thermometer. Ya, Bub temp was 37.8C max. He actually didn't have any appetite to eat for the night.

Catch up later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well my boobs feel soft like it's empty. She's asleep for now. Let's see when she wakes up for another feed.
    @bbhope good to hear your son is sleeping s bit more. Lack of sleep is hard! I need to teach Bub the difference between day and night. Daytime I'm not bad no matter how tired but night time is a killer. I go to bed early pre baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @ScubaGal is right. Bub suckling will get more milk and create more supply than expressing.

My supply has increased by getting more let downs - I can get 4-5 let downs now. Unfortunately my milk supply per let down is still quite low. Only 20- 50ml in total (both boobs), so after 3-4 let downs on the pump I only get 110-120ml. I should express some more only a few more weeks to get supply up. I have Bub sucking as long as he wants now. Before I was limiting to 40min in total cos I was worried he was getting overtired but now I let him suck as long as he wants and hasn't fallen asleep.

@Minib - you're doing well still very early days. Keep letting Bub suck and keep expressing and you can get there. You can try the vitamins too.
    Yeh being up all night is really tough. Hopefully Bub learns soon. At least she gives you some rest during the day.

@bbhope - is greater than 37.5 considered temp? How long before bub's fever went without medication? Bub feels warmer than normal but when I measure as soon as he's awake it's 37 but if I measure while breastfeeding (which hospital said is not accurate as it will be higher) it's between 37.2-37.8. I just don't know if I'm doing the measurement right with the ear thermometer. But I can feel he does have a mild temp. But I read as long as Bub is not fussing and uncomfortable no need to give Panadol. I feel Bub is just more lethargic than normal.