+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 10 month old feed/sleep routine

Hi,
    Can anyone shed some light on my 10 month old's routine? Our day often looks something like this:
    4-5am wake up, fail at all resettling efforts, give him a bottle (240ml) and he goes back to sleep.
    7:30am up for the day
    8am Breakfast
    9:30am Morning tea (little bit of fruit)
    10am Nap
    11:30am wake and lunch
    2pm Bottle (240ml)
    2:30ish Nap
    4pm wake and light afternoon tea
    5:30 dinner
    6:45 start bed time routine including 240ml bottle
    7:30 in bed

When he wakes in the early morning, seriously the only way I can get him back to sleep is with a bottle. Efforts at resettling usually end up in tears from both of us. Should I then be giving him more milk in the morning at some point? I feel like 5am-2pm is a really long time between milk feeds.

The last 3 days he's taken about half an hour to fall asleep for his morning nap, I'm thinking maybe I need to push out his awake times? What's the awake time recommendation for a 10 month old?

Other information:
    - we've done sleep school
    - he falls asleep without crying but sometimes just talks to himself for ages
    - he's my second baby. My first was one of those kids that just slept through the night so I was completely unprepared for this baby.
    Last edited by mummyChubbles; 29-11-2015 at 11:24.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    The routine seems good to me. Though not many milk feeds...at that age my ds (breastfeed) was having 5-6 a day. The early morning milk feed is normal I think. My ds has always done the same though usually not until 6am give or take.

When did your ds dropped his evening bottle?

Eta. I'm not sure on the recommended wake time, sorry. My ds was a catnapper until 12 months when he dropped to 1 day sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This routine is very similar to the routine I have with my DS who has just turned 1 - but we do more milk feeds. I think I was doing 4 through the day and 1 over night at 10 months. Though at 10.5 months he probably would have self weaned if I wasn't so uncomfortable and started feeding him before naps.
    . My DS is and always has been a terrible sleeper, but this seems to be more of an issue at night, not through the day. Generally, we do the first nap about 2 - 2.5 hours after he wakes for the day (depends how bad his night was), the second about 3 hours after he wakes from the first. Both naps are around 1.25-1.5 hours.

Is it bothering you having to give the bottle overnight? If you just gave him the bottle straight away, would he go straight to sleep? I guess what I am asking is if it is worth the fight of not giving it at this stage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow. IMO you need more milk. He is still an infant (under 12mths) and milk is so important.

He obviously is very hungry so just give him the milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OHHHH. I couldn't work out everyone's responses then I went back and read my original post. He has a 240ml bottle before bed that I didn't include on there!! (I'm going to edit that in a minute!!)

So we're having 3 x 240ml bottles a day.

I don't "mind" doing the 5am ish bottle as such. I just wondered if he needed more milk after breakfast? Some days he wakes at 5, others at 6, others at 7 (depending on what time his other wake/resettles are!). Today he woke at 7, so I did breakfast first then milk after.

I guess I'm trying to consolidate a morning routine as I'm going back to work in a few weeks and our mornings at the moment are a bit of a jumble.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My internal debate about whether to just give the early morning bottle if he wakes then or resettle comes from a few things:
    - some days he sleeps through until 7-7:30 with no problem
    - sleep school was all about trying to resettle
    - from everything I've read, his 3 x 240ml bottles are well over the recommendation of 500/600ml a day (assuming he is eating solids well and drinking water, which he is)

He eats solids like a machine. If I added another milk feed, would that impact his solids intake negatively?

Thanks all for your feedback and sharing your experiences. Much appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Is 500-600ml of milk the recommended amount at 10 months? I thought it depended on bub's size? I'm sure my ds was having closer to a litre a day then (not that I could measure it). He didn't eat a lot of solids though until 12 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Is the 4-5am wake up his only wake up overnight?

Thanks
    Reviews
    http://www.babycenter.com.au/a9136/how-much-formula-milk-does-my-baby-need

Going by that article and others like it (gained by Googling "how much formula for a 10 month old"), about 600ml (20oz) seems to be the recommended amount, plus or minus a bit depending on which article.

His overnight sleeping pattern can be hit and miss - some nights he sleeps from bed time until 7am, other times, I'm in resettling him a couple of times. Usually though, he doesn't need a feed to get back to sleep earlier than 4-5am. Some days at that 4-5am mark, I can get him back to sleep and he happily sleeps until 7-7:30. Other times, he will not sleep until he's had a bottle. Here's the other thing - he doesn't wake up crying or fussing at that 4-5am mark. He wakes up chatting and giggling.

I guess at the end of the day, I know he wakes a lot less than other babies his age. I think just because I can't decide what to do at that early time (some days if I am extremely zonked, I just feed him knowing he'll go back to sleep), I feel like I'm not giving him a chance to establish a decent morning routine. Like I mentioned earlier, my first baby ran like clockwork, so I'm just not sure what I should be doing!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I don't know a lot about formula feeding. And I use google everyday at work.

I know a lot of bubs start their day around 5am so he may just be ready for his morning feed then. Giving my ds a feed at 6-7am meant he slept until 8-9am until he got to about 18 months old then the feed no longer worked to get him back to sleep. He still has that morning feed.

If it's getting hard to settle him for his morning nap it could mean a number of things. Maybe doing something more energetic in the morning or pushing his morning nap later. Eventually the two naps consolidate into one nap a day but when that happens is different for each bub. Usually not until after 12 months though.
    Last edited by AdornedWithCats; 29-11-2015 at 12:40.