+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have/had Plantar Fasciitis. I was in agony for about 2 years, now I seem to be on the mend. Pain free for most days, occasionally I get some pain at night.

I wear Birkenstocks if I am going to be doing a lot of walking. Otherwise I wear a orthosleeve with my pretty shoes.
    Orthotics made mine worse so I went down this path http://orthosleeve.com.au/foot-sleeve-fs6.html

best thing ever! I got the skin colour ones and I now only need to wear it at night if I have pain.

I went to physio and have stretches and exercises to strengthen the muscles around my ankle, also massaging your calf can help.

We recently went to Cambodia and I managed to do a stack of walking with barely any pain at all.

As for pretty shoes Frankie4 have some pretty shoes and are available in some shops as well as online, but they are not cheap.

Good luck hope you are on the mend soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    I second planet shoes for a bit dressier.

My PF started after I had DS - too much pacing at 3am in thongs or bare feet + extra kilos.

Good shoes and it was 99% gone after about 12 months, until I started teaching full time this year. Now its about 80% good and I can wear 'normal' shoes about once a fortnight. I get the morning pain only after a couple of really big days in a row, otherwise its just extra ache pain in left heel (always worse). I'm losing weight at the moment and hoping that will help too.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Have you seen the podiatrist? My DH's is really bad. He has specific stretches and also had a special sock that helped. Re: shoes not sure how many 'pretty' shoes are available but short periods should be ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Uniquey View Post
    I would definitely see a Podiatrist if I were you, Op. They are worth their weight in gold when you have dodgy feet.

My DH has Plantar Fasciitis but hasn't been to the Podiatrist and goes to the Doctor instead who's wise words are "stay off your feet", completely impractical of course.
    I have been to the podiatrist and she thinks orthotics is the way to go but I really want to avoid that so I'm going to give it a bit longer in better shoes and doing the stretches and icing/deep heat and see if I can get on top of it. I have had it when dd was tiny and my Birkenstocks fixed it but I am working full time and working out now so I can't live in Birkenstocks.

I am very interested in those orthosleeves.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I have been to the podiatrist and she thinks orthotics is the way to go but I really want to avoid that so I'm going to give it a bit longer in better shoes and doing the stretches and icing/deep heat and see if I can get on top of it. I have had it when dd was tiny and my Birkenstocks fixed it but I am working full time and working out now so I can't live in Birkenstocks.

I am very interested in those orthosleeves.
    Has anyone explained what it is? And that if it's not treated early it gets worse and ultimately chronic and basically can be unfixable?

My DH's is chronic. I asked him for his suggestion and he said to get a Strassburg sock. Ice not heat. Try a tennis ball under the foot after a day on your feet.

Stretch before getting up from sitting or after you wake before walking on it. The stretch is to prevent further tearing.

Eta. Hope I don't sound high and mighty or harsh. I had no idea about any of this until DH explained it all. And I've seen him in pain with it for years

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Has anyone explained what it is? And that if it's not treated early it gets worse and ultimately chronic and basically can be unfixable?

My DH's is chronic. I asked him for his suggestion and he said to get a Strassburg sock. Ice not heat. Try a tennis ball under the foot after a day on your feet.

Stretch before getting up from sitting or after you wake before walking on it. The stretch is to prevent further tearing.

Eta. Hope I don't sound high and mighty or harsh. I had no idea about any of this until DH explained it all. And I've seen him in pain with it for years
    Oh no, you didn't sound high and mighty. The gp and podiatrist have explained it and I will certainly take her advise if I don't improve in the next few weeks. She has recommended the rigid orthopedics (because I carry extra weight) which I am a bit reluctant to get, which leads back to part of my original question about whether I have to wear them for life?

So I will give it a few more weeks worth better footwear (not $8 ballet flats from kmart), itching and stretching.

I have resigned myself to a life of few pairs of high quality comfort shoes rather than dozens of pairs of fun shoes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh no, you didn't sound high and mighty. The gp and podiatrist have explained it and I will certainly take her advise if I don't improve in the next few weeks. She has recommended the rigid orthopedics (because I carry extra weight) which I am a bit reluctant to get, which leads back to part of my original question about whether I have to wear them for life?

So I will give it a few more weeks worth better footwear (not $8 ballet flats from kmart), itching and stretching.

I have resigned myself to a life of few pairs of high quality comfort shoes rather than dozens of pairs of fun shoes.
    Not for life unless it becomes bad. Which is not common since it was caught early. You can also try the orthodics from the chemist for a little more support - those can cut to fit shoes from memory.

Eta. I got told all this only when DH was doing an experimental therapy (dry needling - in his case there was too much scar tissue so it did not work). Its fascinating that such a small muscle does such a big job.
    Last edited by twinklify; 28-11-2015 at 18:12.

Thanks
    Reviews

I would try everything else before the rigid orthotics. I am fat and they made my pain worse. I wore them for a bit at a time but I ended up with nausea from the pain.

Have you been to a physio? I found them to be excellent! Where as the podiatrist just wanted to stick something in my shoe and make me wear ugly shoes (I wasn't happy with this) but the physio gave me things to do to strengthen the muscles that support the foot and loosen my calf muscles.

I wear pretty shoes again now but not as often.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had this a few years ago and I found Ziera shows were very comfy and gave me the support I needed.