+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Diabetes in a child

Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    Holy moly talk about some alarmist internet diagnosis posting here. No one else was in that appointment room and don't have any idea what went on in there. As it turns out it was because she did do a prick test and it was normal...dip stick tests can give false positives and I'm assuming the follow up blood was to check again.

Op it sounds like everything is ok. I hope these posts didn't stress you out more than you needed to be.
    No. No, no, no. You absolutely have to be alarmist when it comes to type 1 diabetes. Left undiagnosed, it is extremely dangerous. Clearly you have no idea how many children are admitted to intensive care on diagnosis because it has been untreated and they have gone into DKA.

If OP didn't mention there had been a finger prick test, how are we to know? I read it as there had been traces of sugar found in the urine but the GP suggested doing bloods next week. Except with type 1 diabetes, that could be too late. But hey, better to not be an alarmist and risk your child's life than to be warned by someone not to delay, just in case.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sniggle6 For This Useful Post:

Bubintummy  (28-11-2015),Clementine Grace  (28-11-2015),lilypily  (28-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Bloods finally taken and it wasn't as bad as I expected, so now we wait for the results.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    Bloods finally taken and it wasn't as bad as I expected, so now we wait for the results.
    Good luck OP. I hope it's not diabetes. My brother was diagnosed at 12. His symptoms were peeing a lot, drinking lots of water and craving sugary food. My mum took him to the gp and asked him to be tested for diabetes (we have a family history) results came back the next day and his sugar reading was something like 28. Immediate hospital admission to stabilise it and went from there. The educators were amazing and the support available is also really great.

From my knowledge of type 1 (and I'm by no means any kind of health professional) his finger prick test seems normal to me. I hope the results come back normal for you. If it is diabetes there is a bit of a silver lining (if you could say that at all) that eventually if it's within your means there are insulin pumps available which would remove the need to do needles however many times a day. My brother is currently working towards getting one for himself. Fingers crossed it was just a contaminated sample or just a uti or something easy fixed! Xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How did it go? Have you got the results yet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes sorry I haven't updated yet, been a hectic day. So all tests came back fine. No diabetes 🎉🎉🎉🎉

7. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (30-11-2015),Clementine Grace  (28-11-2015),fluffykitty  (28-11-2015),Frankenmum  (28-11-2015),harvs  (28-11-2015),ICanDream  (28-11-2015),lilypily  (29-11-2015),Ngaiz  (28-11-2015),SSecret Squirrel  (28-11-2015),starflame  (28-11-2015)