+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry but your GP is wrong. If they suspect diabetes they could have done a simple finger prick test while you were there to get things started. There is no way you should wait until next week to get bloods done.

My son is 4.5 and diagnosed with type 1 at 2 and 9 months. He was weeing frequently and I could never get enough water into him to satisfy his thirst. The first GP told me it was a virus and he was drinking so much due to fighting off a fever. She was wrong.

Second GP did the finger prick test as soon as I told her the symptoms. She was on the phone to the hospital immediately. My son was already in DKA.

Please get your son tested straight away. Take him to ED and tell them you suspect diabetes. They can put the numbing cream on to do the blood test. They may want to put in an IV. My son was sedated with gas for this.

I am not trying to scare or worry you but this is not something to muck about with. Kids have died from undiagnosed diabetes.

For what it's worth, once the weeing/drinking started they were pretty much constant rather than on and off.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pixie Dust For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (27-11-2015),BettyW  (27-11-2015),Bubintummy  (27-11-2015),Clementine Grace  (27-11-2015),Star Light  (27-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Could try the patches?
    http://www.chemistwarehouse.com.au/b...Emla-Patch-x-2

As horrible as it sounds if it is diabetes, your son will unfortunately soon have to get very very very used to needles.
    It's funny (strange not haha) but my brother has had 36 years of all the needles associated with diabetes, he doesn't even blink at any of the blood sugar level monitoring or insulin stuff, but he still faints if someone else takes his blood. 😊 I guess my point is just that, if it is diabetes op, the daily testing isn't anywhere near as bad as having full blood tests.

Try to take it one step at a time. Get through this test and then deal with whatever comes next. I've got to say that I think it's probably a relatively good sign that the gp didn't want the blood tests until next week. If he was seriously worried it was diabetes then he probably would have sent you straight to emergency.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Diabetes in a child

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie Dust View Post
    I'm sorry but your GP is wrong. If they suspect diabetes they could have done a simple finger prick test while you were there to get things started. There is no way you should wait until next week to get bloods done.

My son is 4.5 and diagnosed with type 1 at 2 and 9 months. He was weeing frequently and I could never get enough water into him to satisfy his thirst. The first GP told me it was a virus and he was drinking so much due to fighting off a fever. She was wrong.

Second GP did the finger prick test as soon as I told her the symptoms. She was on the phone to the hospital immediately. My son was already in DKA.

Please get your son tested straight away. Take him to ED and tell them you suspect diabetes. They can put the numbing cream on to do the blood test. They may want to put in an IV. My son was sedated with gas for this.

I am not trying to scare or worry you but this is not something to muck about with. Kids have died from undiagnosed diabetes.

For what it's worth, once the weeing/drinking started they were pretty much constant rather than on and off.
    Please do follow this advice. It struck me as strange that your gp didn't check blood sugar immediately but I didn't want to say anything because I have no experience with recent diagnosis.

Eta: apologies for the multiple posts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought the same as a friend's 4 year old went to the GP then was immediately sent to emergency and was in hospital for a few days when she was diagnosed with Type 1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My daughter in law was 21, and sent straight to emergency also when she was diagnosed. Apparently she was off the scales and in real danger but at that time had no idea at all she was diabetic. Her mum took her in to get checked as her mum thought she was off. Trust your gut. Waiting doesn't seem right unless they are fairly sure it's not..

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friends child was also diagnosed at 4 and he already had dangerously high levels before he got to hospital. As soon as the dr suspected it he was in hospital that day. Im so surprised the dr said to wait till next week! I'd take him to the ER too because if he does have it, he's likely to be much worse by next week isn't it? If he doesn't then it'll put your mind at rest. Hope it's the latter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't think @Witwicky frequents the hub much any more but her gorgeous boy was diagnosed with type 1 on his first birthday and she'd be wonderful to talk to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixie Dust View Post

This! My son was diagnosed at 22 months. As soon as sugar was detected in his urine, we sent to the children's hospital and were there for a week, stabilising his levels and learning the ropes.

Please don't wait until next week, or tomorrow even. Go in ASAP and have him tested.

Good luck!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sniggle6 For This Useful Post:

Star Light  (27-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another one echoing the don't wait, just go to hospital comments. My understanding with suspected diabetes is that you go straight to hospital for more tests. Definitely don't wait a week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep, if they suspect diabetes you definitely should take him to ED. my boss is a paed endo and its crazy how many GPs think that kids can wait weeks to get an appointment when they suspect diabetes. I almost need to record myself saying 'SEND THEM TO ED' and play it to them when they casually call to ask for an appointment. As PP have said, if his blood sugar levels are out of whack it is really dangerous and he needs to be admitted to stabilise it.