+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Weaning my toddler

Ok some questions and advice and support is needed from the lovely ladies here.

My DS is 3 in March. I am almost 20 weeks pregnant with no2. My DS has 2-3 feeds a day - morning and night on working days and an extra for day nap if we are at home.

I have decided for a while I have to wean. It is happening now as I have more patience and am now mostly over MS. DS is not impressed (of course). So far we have dropped the morning feed. It has been a week and he STILL tantrums (crying, carrying on, hitting). I knew it would take time but I am so tired at 4.30-5.30 when he wakes it is hard not to give in.

I was planning on dropping the night feed in the next few days. Currently its a small feed anyway so hoping it won't be as painful.

So, can anyone give me advice/experience ANYTHING to help me (and DS!) through this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I weaned my DD at 3 and it was so hard, and I wasn't pregnant so I can't imagine how much harder it is for you! What worked for us was distraction, and DH helping. So I made sure at the times that she normally wanted to feed that we were doing something fun to keep her busy. I barely sat down coz she would always take that as a cue to feed lol. DH had to do bedtime, read her a story to get her distracted from her beloved boobies. It was hard, and took a lot of time but we got there! Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Just*Ace For This Useful Post:

twinklify  (27-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep distraction! Go out and about over the next few days. Expect some tears but remain firm and consistent. I offered dd "super cuddles" instead.

I also read that after they reach the age of comprehension (ie around 15 months) it is easier to wean them cold turkey than a feed at a time, as it is more difficult for them to process/accept they can have it some times but not others.

I weaned my booby lover at 2 years cold turkey- she was feeding around 4-5 times a day and once or twice overnight. I think after a few days I was more sad than she was lol. Looking back it wasn't nearly as hard as I was expecting- a rough few days but she quickly moved on.

Cabbage leaves are not just a wives tale they were a godsend to help with engoregement. Cold and flu tablets also help dry up milk supply. Congrats on feeding your bubba for that long xxxx

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

twinklify  (27-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I weaned my DS at 3yrs, although by that time I had actively night weaned him, and stopped the feed before bed so just had the morning feed.

On the lead up to his birthday, I told him that my breasts wouldn't work anymore and that there would be no more milk once he turned 3. I made sure to talk about it often, reminding him that once he was 3 there would be no more boogie. The night before, another reminder and then when he woke up the focus was on birthday stuff and although he asked, he was easily distracted.

Best of luck!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wobbleyhorse For This Useful Post:

Freyamum  (27-11-2015),twinklify  (27-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I managed to stop feeding when he woke at night and during the day (when not going to nap in bed at home). Funny that we went into a parents room on Monday to DS turning around, wagging his finger at me saying 'No milk mummy. No mummy milk' haha. This morning there wasn't hitting and he went back to sleep - maybe that one is getting easier for him.

I never ever ever ever thought this day would come (so not ready) - or that I would BF for so long! I have always said I would just 'go with it' and it amazes me that I have done it for so long. I just thought he would lose interest at an earlier age. Apparently not lol.

ETA. We also managed to stop feeding when he is upset - that took a lot of time and energy from both of us too.
    Last edited by twinklify; 27-11-2015 at 19:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I weaned my DD at age 2, when I was about 20-25 weeks pregnant...
    My memory fails me exactly how many weeks!
    It was becoming soooo painful and my milk had really just dried up. She didn't mind dry feeding though. Ouch!! She was gradually reducing herself, but I helped it along by saying no mummy milk, all gone, and offering a cup of water and a cuddle instead. Or when I couldn't be bothered ( like during the night) allowing a very short feed but then breaking her off.
    You could also google the Dr Jay Gordon night weaning method. :-)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bond Girl For This Useful Post:

twinklify  (28-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl View Post
    I weaned my DD at age 2, when I was about 20-25 weeks pregnant...
    My memory fails me exactly how many weeks!
    It was becoming soooo painful and my milk had really just dried up. She didn't mind dry feeding though. Ouch!! She was gradually reducing herself, but I helped it along by saying no mummy milk, all gone, and offering a cup of water and a cuddle instead. Or when I couldn't be bothered ( like during the night) allowing a very short feed but then breaking her off.
    You could also google the Dr Jay Gordon night weaning method. :-)
    Yes I did this, I think I told her that soon mummy's milk would be gone, and she could have a quick drink and that's it (this was only at day nap, and bedtime sleep)... So I would let her suckle for say 5-10 seconds then pull her off and say that's it and then cuddled. Prior to this though, I weaned nighttime feeds between 11-6 i think, using dr jays method, then I did the short feeds and I delayed the morning feed and said after breakfast which she usually didn't ask for again. And honestly, my milk did dry up, to the point where she then said your milks all gone. I think she tried one more time to confirm and that was that.

I really hope it's an easy process for you, good luck!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MZmama For This Useful Post:

twinklify  (28-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I went cold turkey with my boys at nearly three and two years corrected. Gradual weaning just had knobs on it and caused so many tears for us.
    I did something a bit out there but not sure I want to put it on the open forum for fear of judgement but pm if you want more info but within a day they were weaned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gosh I feel you, it's hard. My fella is just over 2.5 and has been very, very hard to wean. I'm 3 months pregnant and I just can't do it if anymore and im needing to take medication in this pregnancy so had to bite the bullet.

The tantrums lasted a good few weeks, he'd cry and arch his and back, so hard. Especially when you're dog tired and you just want to give in for peace.

Def about distraction and following through for me. Our DS is often in our bed by morning so I have to sneak out before he wakes and then distract him with breakfast. When j got to a night time feed I just let him have it for a few mins and that was all, pretty sure the meds im on dried up my milk a bit which made it easier.

The other thing that worked was to be away from him at bedtime. I always put him to bed and he's a really bad sleeper but his dad just had to do it every second night for a few weeks, lots of crying (like for 40 mins) and rocking. Then I just stopped offering it or we sit and cuddle on the couch and watch a movie before bed. He still asks me a few times a day but he's slowly realising that it's gone. I just keep
    Telling him it's gone, or it's broken. I think we're almost there.

It is bloody hard! They will dig in their heels and put up a good fight and I felt all sorts of guilt from taking it away as he's so attached to it but being pregnant i just can't do it anymore.

Some people put salty/yukky tasting stuff in their boobs if nothing else works.

Good luck op, it's not easy!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (27-11-2015),twinklify  (28-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This morning we were at the 'mummy I want it' with a sad face. But again he went back to sleep and is now ok. Night feed is being dropped tonight.

DS does not like DH putting him to bed atm. Should be fun.

Thank you everyone for your help and stories.