+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Thank you so much for this info. I had no idea.

I guess I'll have to leave DD at daycare for a couple of hours on her enrolled days (thankfully only 2 days). That kind of makes me sad, almost like being forced to take her there... The daycare is next to Woolworths, maybe I can drop her, get groceries and then pick her up I'm already resenting needing to pay $140 a week when I'm not working, $280 would break the bank.
    You also need to make sure she goes on the first day that you are enrolled, as you are only paid ccb/ccr for absences after the first day or something. We had to come back early from our holiday last year so DD could go to childcare as the centre was totally inflexible about her start date. My centre is also requesting we tell them when the kids will be absent over the holiday period (presumably so they can give staff leave when lots of kids are away), but there is no reduced rate for holidays... Grrr.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBug'sMum View Post
    You also need to make sure she goes on the first day that you are enrolled, as you are only paid ccb/ccr for absences after the first day or something. We had to come back early from our holiday last year so DD could go to childcare as the centre was totally inflexible about her start date. My centre is also requesting we tell them when the kids will be absent over the holiday period (presumably so they can give staff leave when lots of kids are away), but there is no reduced rate for holidays... Grrr.
    It's a shame your centre don't have holiday rates. That is the exact reason we ask for holiday forms to be in, so we can organise staff holidays.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My son goes to a really small centre and they actually let you not pay for holidays, as long as you give two weeks notice! I couldn't believe it when we got all the information after making the decision to change him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    So this is a little bit of a rant rather than anything....

My maternity leave is up mid next year and the daycare centre I'd lined up for DD advised that they have places available at the start of the year but can't guarantee that there will be any mid year. Which means if I want to confirm a place I'll need to enrol DD 5 months before I go back to work. This is a waste of resources on several levels!!
    1. I have to pay for daycare that I don't need and probably won't use.
    2. Centrelink is subsidising a service that isn't needed.
    3. A daycare spot is potentially being taken away from someone who actually needs it.

I'm guessing that this situation is pretty common and I've been pretty naive about how the whole daycare thing ...? (DD is my first baby).

How have others dealt with this?
    Depends where you live. Down here childcare spots are sparce so they are hard to get. The reason they have an opening at the beginning of the year is because of all the children that move on to school. Any other time a family has to pull their kids out for a spot to open.

Just be aware as well that if your child doesn't attend a certain amount of days you lose the CCB and (I think CCR??).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBug'sMum View Post
    Our centre requests that too. It's stupid though. Since you aren't offered a cheaper rate or free rate for holiday periods if you chose to suddenly not go on that holiday and send your child to care they would have no choice but to take your child (or give your money back for the days they can't attend). I refuse to let them know. I don't tell them they're not going to be there at all. They can get stuffed. Our centre asks if our children will be there on Christmas Eve too and until what time. I ALWAYS say they will be and they'll be there until 6pm whether I have intentions of sending them or not. They get enough money the greedy bas tards.
    M

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (28-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Renesme View Post
    Our centre requests that too. It's stupid though. Since you aren't offered a cheaper rate or free rate for holiday periods if you chose to suddenly not go on that holiday and send your child to care they would have no choice but to take your child (or give your money back for the days they can't attend). I refuse to let them know. I don't tell them they're not going to be there at all. They can get stuffed. Our centre asks if our children will be there on Christmas Eve too and until what time. I ALWAYS say they will be and they'll be there until 6pm whether I have intentions of sending them or not. They get enough money the greedy bas tards.
    M
    What about the actual educators that care for your children? I'm sorry but the staff aren't greedy... We aren't paid highly. We have families too that we want to spend time with...

8. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Mamasupial For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (27-11-2015),Clementine Grace  (27-11-2015),Cue  (28-11-2015),Frankenmum  (28-11-2015),gingermillie  (27-11-2015),JustJaq  (27-11-2015),MrsSS  (27-11-2015),MsViking  (28-11-2015),Ngaiz  (27-11-2015),Purple Poppy  (27-11-2015),smallpotatoes  (28-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know much about childcare cause my son never went but I feel sad for the women being exploited to the point where they feel they have no choice but to pay for a spot they don't need to use for a while just to secure a place.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ProudMumma34 For This Useful Post:

TeaM  (27-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP have you thought about family daycare? I'm on a local Facebook page that helps connect families with educators and places seem to come up fairly regularly. Perhaps call a couple of schemes in your area and see what they suggest.
    I put my DS on a long daycare waiting list 2 years ago and we still haven't been offered a place. I called a few weeks back enquiring about next year and they're full, but apparently DS is 'near' the top of the waiting list :-/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    That doesn't sound like they were holding it. Sounds like they had availabilities and would have filled the spot if the could.
    I guess holding it might not be the right term, maybe just that we were at the top of the waiting list.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (28-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ProudMumma34 View Post
    I don't know much about childcare cause my son never went but I feel sad for the women being exploited to the point where they feel they have no choice but to pay for a spot they don't need to use for a while just to secure a place.
    Totally- a lot about childcare makes me feel like parents are being held to ransom. For example, the centre can close on a public holiday but everybody still has to pay the full rate. What other business could get away with that? But parents just shut it and pay because they know there is a shortage and the centre can fill their spot in a second. When I mentioned it to friends they all agreed you could probably challenge it but nobody will because they rely on Childcare to work and live so centres can get away with this sort of thing.

The bottleneck caused by school is understandable but surely there could be a solution if those who ran the service had a vested interest in finding a solution. But they don't care. Meanwhile, this has a negative impact on the economy because it directly affects people's ability to work. If Australia had the same level of workplace participation for women that Canada has, we would add $25 billion dollars to the economy. 25 BILLION. That's the budget deficit pretty much sorted. And a lot of that is as a result of childcare. A lot of women delay going back to work and work less when they do because of a lack of childcare and/or the cost of childcare (particularly with the cap on the subsidy running out mid year combined with a loss of other benefits).

In that sense it's probably not cheaper for the government to pawn off childcare to the private sector. The difference between here and Canada is that Canada's childcare is not largely privatised. In fact, they point to Australia as an example of why they should not privatise Childcare.

Our system has become a cautionary tale... That's sad.