+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was in the same boat earlier this year but I didn't worry too much as I know the daycare centre well and knew there would be babies moving up to the toddler room. My ds3 started casual in May but due to staff shortages he can't attend for the remainder of the year. So myself and dh have had to take unplanned leave so one of us is home with him, very frustrating. Even though there is supposed to be a pecking order you don't have to proove anything and I do think being only 1 centre in town a parent will say what they need to on the enrolment form to get a place. I know there are some non working parents using daycare so beats me why they weren't the first to be told their child couldn't attend due to staff issues as they could be home looking after them rather than a working parent who is forced to take unpaid leave not to mention inconveniencing her employer by not being able to work during one of the busiest times of year. Sorry for the vent.. so frustrated

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (27-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My kids are Aug and Sep babies, so this is a double pain for me!

I don't really understand why so many kids commence in January. You would think that demand would be fairly uniform year-round. At our centre, kids move up rooms (other than kindy) supposedly based on age. But in practice it doesn't seem to work that way, and my Sep-born DS1 was stuck in the babies' room until he was almost 2 because there were no spots in the toddler rooms. I guess the kindy room must be the bottleneck.

I'm currently on mat-leave with Aug-born DS2 and planning to return to work in July 2016. Similar to what others have experienced, our centre has told me that I can have a guaranteed place starting in Jan (min 2 days a week) or cross my fingers that something is available come July. I've opted for the "cross your fingers" option because I don't want to go back to work when DS2 is only 5 months old, and at $135/day we just can't afford to have him in daycare as well if I'm not working. (DS1 is still there, to give me some" sanity days" with only one child home, to hold our place at the centre, and because he also just likes going). ATM I'm not too worried because the babies room looks really quiet, but maybe that is going to suddenly change come Jan. The real trick will be getting the same days for both boys in two different rooms. Perth is in a bit of an economic funk, so that may help my chances of getting a place.

Having an annualised rather than a continuous year-round system makes it hard on parents and kids with mid-year birthdays!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Daycare places

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenmum View Post
    This is just something to bear in mind if you're going to enrol your DD but not send her for 5 months ( http://www.mychild.gov.au/childcare-information/benefit)

"You will get CCB and CCR for 42 absence days per child each financial year. These can be for any reason and will not require proof.

You can also get CCB and CCR for additional absence days (above the 42 days) for specific reasons only. There is no limit on these days but you may be required to provide documentation to support the absence."

So I believe that means that if she has more than 42 absences in the year, you won't receive the CCB & CCR for any additional absent days (you'll have to pay the full fee) unless you can provide a good reason (eg. Illness with a medical certificate).

Its so hard isn't it! Good luck with your decision.
    Thank you so much for this info. I had no idea.

I guess I'll have to leave DD at daycare for a couple of hours on her enrolled days (thankfully only 2 days). That kind of makes me sad, almost like being forced to take her there... The daycare is next to Woolworths, maybe I can drop her, get groceries and then pick her up I'm already resenting needing to pay $140 a week when I'm not working, $280 would break the bank.
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 27-11-2015 at 18:07.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    See my PP about school intakes. It affects every other room below the kindy room. When school starts they can move kids into the next room and it opens up places, hence why places are generally available in jan/feb. this is definitely the case in SA at least.

Ds is a sep baby and I was fortunate to get a spot in July. That was only because they changed the nursery rooms a bit (they have 2) which opened up a few places. The rooms do change in number of kids attending throughout the year but you can't be certain that a place will be available exactly when you need it on the days you need, which is why so many take up spots before they are actually required.

OP you can always turn down the spot and see what happens later in the year but I guess you just need to be prepared to not be able to get in when you need to. If you can get alternative cc (eg grandparents) while you wait for a place it might not be such a big deal. It's a hard one!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Thank you so much for this info. I had no idea.

I guess I'll have to leave DD at daycare for a couple of hours on her enrolled days (thankfully only 2 days). That kind of makes me sad, almost like being forced to take her there... The daycare is next to Woolworths, maybe I can drop her, get groceries and then pick her up I'm already resenting needing to pay $140 a week when I'm not working, $280 would break the bank.
    Then maybe delay going back to work 6 months and take the following year intake.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    I was in the same boat earlier this year but I didn't worry too much as I know the daycare centre well and knew there would be babies moving up to the toddler room. My ds3 started casual in May but due to staff shortages he can't attend for the remainder of the year. So myself and dh have had to take unplanned leave so one of us is home with him, very frustrating. Even though there is supposed to be a pecking order you don't have to proove anything and I do think being only 1 centre in town a parent will say what they need to on the enrolment form to get a place. I know there are some non working parents using daycare so beats me why they weren't the first to be told their child couldn't attend due to staff issues as they could be home looking after them rather than a working parent who is forced to take unpaid leave not to mention inconveniencing her employer by not being able to work during one of the busiest times of year. Sorry for the vent.. so frustrated
    That's so annoying! They should get parents to produce proof of employment (pay slip, letter from employer) in that situation.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wanted my daughter to start daycare in March, so the centre told me they'd hold the spot however if anyone wanted it before March, they would give me the option to take it first, or give it up. Maybe see if this is an option at your centre?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    Then maybe delay going back to work 6 months and take the following year intake.
    That's a really good idea... I like it. Will discuss with DP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I wanted my daughter to start daycare in March, so the centre told me they'd hold the spot however if anyone wanted it before March, they would give me the option to take it first, or give it up. Maybe see if this is an option at your centre?
    That doesn't sound like they were holding it. Sounds like they had availabilities and would have filled the spot if the could.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    That's a really good idea... I like it. Will discuss with DP.
    If your going to pay for it anyway it may offset your some of your income so just delay 6 months.