+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm starting to realise that I should just be grateful that I got a spot at all.

I wonder if part of the reason why spots are hard to come by is that people are using them when they don't need them out of (a very real) fear that they won't get a spot when they need one. Which makes the shortage worse, which makes people hold on to them even more! A vicious circle... Don't think there are any easy answers to this problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    After having DD I was due back at work mid-year but when I found a centre I liked I had to take the place straight away - so I went back to work in March that year instead of July.

DS was also born mid-year and I intended to go back to work in June/July. I had to start him at the beginning of the year, 2 days a week (all they had available) to get him into the centre. I ended up not returning to work (redundancy) but kept him in as I'll hopefully be working in the new year. I have got both kids in 3 days a week from Jan. It'll be hard to find a job that I can do 3 days a week and it still be worth doing after childcare fees. I might have to do 4 days and have no idea what I'll do for childcare on that 4th day!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I'm starting to realise that I should just be grateful that I got a spot at all.

I wonder if part of the reason why spots are hard to come by is that people are using them when they don't need them out of (a very real) fear that they won't get a spot when they need one. Which makes the shortage worse, which makes people hold on to them even more! A vicious circle... Don't think there are any easy answers to this problem.
    I don't think this is the case. I think there is just a shortage. They give priority to working parents over sahp.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also have a July baby and wanted to take 12 months off. I ended up leaving my job anyway for other reason but I was offered several other jobs in September October that I couldn't take because there were simply no Childcare places available. Some have now become available for January but I don't have a job to go to and I refuse to pay for childcare I don't need. The Childcare centre has a 2 day minimum policy and for those two days, after the rebate, we'd be out of pocket $120/week. That's just something we can't afford if I don't have a job but then because I won't take the place now if I do get other work opportunities come up next year again I won't be able to take them... Again. It's a stupid system! In Scandinavian countries Childcare places are guaranteed for every child just like places at school. This is what happens when Childcare is run by the government instead of by private companies who only care about their bottom line.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamasupial View Post
    I don't think this is the case. I think there is just a shortage. They give priority to working parents over sahp.
    Priority also to siblings of kids already in the centre (which makes sense) so it's really hard to get into a good centre with your first child. We were very lucky to get into ours, fluke timing really.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Mamasupial  (27-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaM View Post
    I also have a July baby and wanted to take 12 months off. I ended up leaving my job anyway for other reason but I was offered several other jobs in September October that I couldn't take because there were simply no Childcare places available. Some have now become available for January but I don't have a job to go to and I refuse to pay for childcare I don't need. The Childcare centre has a 2 day minimum policy and for those two days, after the rebate, we'd be out of pocket $120/week. That's just something we can't afford if I don't have a job but then because I won't take the place now if I do get other work opportunities come up next year again I won't be able to take them... Again. It's a stupid system! In Scandinavian countries Childcare places are guaranteed for every child just like places at school. This is what happens when Childcare is run by the government instead of by private companies who only care about their bottom line.
    Part of it is the cost of compliance - the regulations are really strict and it costs money to comply with child/staff ratios and time spent doing everything they are required to do. They have to be profitable otherwise why would they do it? Perhaps making childcare centers MORE profitable without having to increase fees (eg tax incentives) might help encourage more centers to open, therefore providing more places. Making childcare a more profitable enterprise may also help increase pay for childcare workers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    Part of it is the cost of compliance - the regulations are really strict and it costs money to comply with child/staff ratios and time spent doing everything they are required to do. They have to be profitable otherwise why would they do it? Perhaps making childcare centers MORE profitable without having to increase fees (eg tax incentives) might help encourage more centers to open, therefore providing more places. Making childcare a more profitable enterprise may also help increase pay for childcare workers.
    I completely understand that it costs a lot to comply with regulations and it's good to have regulations but I don't think the answer is throwing even more tax dollars at it so that private companies can make a profit. It just seems wrong to subsidise an industry's profit margin. It would be more efficient and a better use of tax dollars if government ran childcare centres the way they run schools. Because isn't it about early childhood education? That's what they keep telling us anyway

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaM View Post
    I completely understand that it costs a lot to comply with regulations and it's good to have regulations but I don't think the answer is throwing even more tax dollars at it so that private companies can make a profit. It just seems wrong to subsidise an industry's profit margin. It would be more efficient and a better use of tax dollars if government ran childcare centres the way they run schools. Because isn't it about early childhood education? That's what they keep telling us anyway
    I get what you're saying and that would be awesome! But it would cost a lot more for gov to run cc the way they run schools. Incentivizing private business would be cheaper I would imagine. I dunno, I don't have the answers, but there need to be some creative answers to this problem I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is just something to bear in mind if you're going to enrol your DD but not send her for 5 months ( http://www.mychild.gov.au/childcare-information/benefit)

"You will get CCB and CCR for 42 absence days per child each financial year. These can be for any reason and will not require proof.

You can also get CCB and CCR for additional absence days (above the 42 days) for specific reasons only. There is no limit on these days but you may be required to provide documentation to support the absence."

So I believe that means that if she has more than 42 absences in the year, you won't receive the CCB & CCR for any additional absent days (you'll have to pay the full fee) unless you can provide a good reason (eg. Illness with a medical certificate).

Its so hard isn't it! Good luck with your decision.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (27-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in exactly the same boat - July baby and wanted to go back in July. There is an amazing childcare centre attached to my work and their waiting list is normally about 2 years. I put my name down when I was 6 weeks pregnant and by the time I wanted a spot our name would have been on the list for 19 months. I got a call last week offering me 2 days a week (their minimum is 2 days) but catch is I need to take it from feb. if I said no then the only way I'd get a spot in July is if someone were to leave which they said was unlikely.
    I'm actually going back to work 1 day per week from home in February and they said I can just start with 2hrs each day if I like (still pay full day rate) or use up some of the 30 absentee days we're entitled to. I had to say yes as the centre is perfect for us but yes we are also in the position of having a childcare place we neither want or need for 5 months. Not sure what the solution to this is. I'm upset about putting her in childcare before I'm ready but I've got a couple of months to prepare us both. I too feel really lucky to get this place!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (27-11-2015)