Awkward conversation with a 9yo | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Awkward conversation with a 9yo

(Sorry if in wrong thread. Had no idea where to post)
    I don't have any kids of my own yet. But I do babysit regularly. Today I was baby sitting a 2.5yo (we'll call her 'E' )little girl and had to pick up my mums friends 9yo (we'll call him 'B') from after school care!
    Here is the conversation as I am walking 'B' to the car carrying 'E'

"B -You're really good with 'E'. I think you would make a great mum. You should have a baby.
    Me- I would love to but Maybe next year
    B- are you taking those tablets that make you not have babies
    Me- no I'm not. But chris has to decide when we can have a baby
    B- well make him
    Me - I can't make him. The decision is al his
    B - well dump him then! Lol"

It ended with me telling him this is a conversation he should have with his mum lol. How would have you responded?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Honestly and please dont take offence but i wouldnt have said it was up to your other half, i would have just brushed it off and said something very neutral about it, or changed the subject. Just be mindful when having conversations about when you will TTC, you still need to respect your OH if they want to wait...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsMummaButterfly For This Useful Post:

Apple93  (26-11-2015)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    its always difficult when its other peoples kids.

those convo's are always awkward

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Apple93  (26-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Awkward conversation with a 9yo

Quote Originally Posted by MrsLadyBugg View Post
    Honestly and please dont take offence but i wouldnt have said it was up to your other half, i would have just brushed it off and said something very neutral about it, or changed the subject. Just be mindful when having conversations about when you will TTC, you still need to respect your OH if they want to wait...

Not offended. I have been watching him since he was the same age as 'E' (often calls me his big sister, as we are both only children)
    and not once has he ever brought this topic up with me. His mum has told me he asked her about it once about a year ago. I was just caught off guard and didn't know how to reply. I told his mum and we had a good laugh about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    again, no offence intended but I wouldn't have let the conversation get that far. as PPs have said, I wouldn't brushed it off with a neutral response then changed the subject. explaining yourself to a 9 year old just seems a bit weird to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Given that he ended with 'well dump him then' and then laughed I would have just laughed and then changed the subject. It didn't need to go any further IMO.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (26-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You did a good job, it can be really hard when you're put on the spot like that!

In future, I also tend to stay a bit more 'neutral' - I am a teacher, so have been asked all kinds of weird and wonderful things from kids, from about s3x, if I drink alcohol, if I go out clubbing (?) I would usually say something like "that's a private decision for adults to make', or 'when the time is right', or yes, 'you need to ask your parents about that' (& then scribble a quick note to the parents that a tricky conversation may be headed their way!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't have been telling a child it's a mans decision as to when a woman gets pregnant!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    You did good! Always hard when they throw you curly questions!
    I would have cut it short quite quickly by being vague about the first question and then trying distraction - ie "Maybe one day, we'll see - hey could you help me with xyz?"
    If he'd persisted and asked the pill question, I'd have lightly but firmly said, "That's none of your business young man!
    Last edited by misskittyfantastico; 26-11-2015 at 22:54.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

MrsMummaButterfly  (27-11-2015),turquoisecoast  (27-11-2015)