+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default 2.5 year old and EPIC tantrums!

As the title suggests, my 2.5 year old DD is throwing such epic tantrums that it is seriously peaking my anxiety to a point where it's affecting my day to day life.
    A bit of background. She has been a perfect angel until this point. I'm not even exaggerating. We've always done time outs and it's worked beautifully for misbehaviour. Once every 3-4 days was all that was required for a time out.
    In the last 4-6 weeks that has all changed. Her molars must be shifting as she's complained a lot of teeth pain do that could have something to do with her new behaviour. Just putting that out there.
    Anyway, we went away about 4 weeks ago and while we were away she developed a fear of a few different things. They were causing her much anxiety. At the same time she started doing this annoying fake crying (no tears) and would carry on for 10-15 minutes and not tell us why. Then just like that, she'd be over it. She also voluntarily gave up her dummy for sleeps while we were away.
    It's now progressed to where her sleep is being disrupted. She yells out A LOT in her sleep and will wake crying once a night where sometimes she'll just suddenly stop or other times I actually have to give her panadol as its the only thing that'll calm her down and get her back to sleeping. She used to sleep until 7-7:30am and now it's a good day if she sleeps until 6:30am but mostly she wakes at 6am. If she's woken abruptly from a nap all hell breaks loose. She starts screaming/screeching until her voice is hoarse and cries like a maniac (again, no tears). She will bang her head on the carpet (her head banging is measured by her so she doesn't actually hurt herself) or toll around thrashing like a wild tuna. The only thing that will stop her is a time out in her room and even then sometimes it needs to be done twice before she snaps out of it. Once it's over, she's happy as!
    Sorry for the essay!
    This is really affecting my anxiety levels and I feel awful saying this, but I actually really dislike being around her at the moment 😭
    Any suggestions or have you experienced something similar?
    Please tell me it will pass ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's an age thing. My now 3yo is driving me nuts.

It will pass by the time they are 4yo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son went through a stage of waking up really badly from naps, it was so tiring!! Definitely sounds age related, she will get through this x

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I have to wait until she's 4 I may lose my mind ..

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FirstTimeMummy2012 For This Useful Post:

GirlsRock  (26-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I suggest drinking wine every night. Hahaha.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (30-11-2015),GirlsRock  (26-11-2015),JustJaq  (27-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No advise sorry, my four year old still throws epic tantrums from time to time and he cries and screams like someone is being murdered. Once he threw tantrum on a quite Street and several people ran out off their houses to check on what happened.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    I suggest drinking wine every night. Hahaha.
    I don't drink 😭😭😭😭

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just try and ignore the day tantrums as much as possible. Kids this age get frustrated really easy when they don't get their own way. My youngest who is 8 now, was the worst. I remember walking out of the school grounds and she would drop to the ground screaming blue murder because she didn't want to hold my hand to cross the zebra crossing. Other mums would look at me and I was so embarrassed. She had massive tantrums. They grow out of it. I am 25 weeks pregnant with my third. I will be going through it all again lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There is a reason they call them the 'terrible two's', lol. My two year old has driven me to the brink of insanity Seriously, some days I actually feel like I'm losing my mind. Luckily I have an older child, so I know she will get through it and we will all come out the other end alive. No advice, just sympathy. Your child isn't unusual or horrible or satan herself, even when it feels like she is She is just a toddler learning to find her way in the world. Gosh it's a challenging time!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

FirstTimeMummy2012  (26-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies 😊
    This too shall pass I suppose ..