+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Any experience with pick up put down method?

Ok I just want to start my saying I'm not looking for opinions of whether or not to sleep train as i know it's a massively contentious issue, I just want to hear from others who have done it and what their thoughts are.
    When my ds1 was 6 months old we did cc as he was waking every 1-2 hours overnight and within 3 days he was pretty much sleeping through the night. The most he cried for was about 20 mins with checks and I never found it too distressing. I honestly believe it was the best thing for him as he is a fantastic sleeper and is so happy during the day which he wasn't before as he was tired all the time.
    So ds2 is now almost 6 months and he was following pretty much the same path as ds1 waking frequently but was worse in that the only thing to settle him was feeding and then letting him sleep on my chest. Personally I don't feel happy with this as I'm worried about the sids risk and I don't feel it's good for any of us to be having so little sleep. So I have decided to start sleep training.
    For the last 5 days I have been trying cc but he's just not responding the same way and it's killing me. Within the first 24 hours things were drastically better in that instead of waking 7-8 times a night he's down to 2-3 so he's obviously able to self settle at times but when he is waking and we are using cc he's crying for up to 2 hours. He does eventually settle but I'm not seeing an improvement in the time it takes and it's been 5 days now. I started trying to do it for day naps but had to give up as he was crying for about an hour with no signs of giving in. It then meant he's had days of very little daytime sleep which I'm sure is affecting the nights. So I've been in a dilemma as to what to do as I don't want to resort to holding him, feeding to sleep etc during the day as it's giving him mixed messages.
    So for the last few days I've been going for walks and he's been falling asleep in the pushchair for up to 30 mins at a time which is a huge improvement as well as he used to only sleep in the carrier. But when my toddler is asleep for 2 hours during the day I can't leave the house. So today I tried the pupd and it worked. I left the room quickly at one point even though he was crying to get my phone to check I was doing it correctly and by the time I was ready to go back in he has stopped crying so I waited and sure enough he had gone to sleep. This all took 15 mins and I was picking him up prob 15-20 times in total.
    Now I'm thinking that for him this method is more suitable but I've heard it takes a lot longer. Has anyone used it and how long did it take for you to be able to put baby down in cot for them to sleep without crying?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subbing to reply later when I have time (toddler and 4 week old- lol)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm not sure what pick up put down is, but with our son when he was teething he wouldn't want to sleep, so what I would do is put him to bed, wait 10 minutes. If he hadn't settled I'd go in, lay him back down, tuck him back in, then leave again. Rinse repeat until he was asleep. I wouldn't speak to him during all this too. He is an amazing sleeper now. We only had to do this every now and then when his teeth hurt though, it kept him in his normal sleeping routine,

4. The Following User Says Thank You to gamermummy For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (27-11-2015)