+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default New to this!

Hi Peeps,
    I recently (last week) found out that I am pregnant, possibly 7 weeks or so. I'm older than most (38) and this will be my first. To be honest I am a little bit freaked out! Myself and my partner have no idea what to expect with pregnancy and I've mostly had my head in the sand, as I've been quite career driven.

I've just had my first set of blood results, and will be having my first scan in approximately 3 weeks. We are super excited and have not yet shared our news other than with my employer. My job is super busy and stressful and I needed some leeway and understanding for scans and tests etc.
    I'm struggling as my doctor hasn't really explained much . I think this scan is to screen for DS, but when I called to make the apt they said the date my doctor gave me was too early. I called my doctor back and he scoffed and said, have the scan, we can determine from it how far you are along and if you need to go back in a couple of weeks so be it.

I'm extremely naive with this! all the terminology is foreign to me, and since I've not told anyone yet, I've really no-one to talk to.

Sorry for the long post, any reassurance would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations first of all!

The scan your doctor has ordered would be a "dating" scan to confirm what gestation you are. I had one at 8 weeks, then booked the 12 week scan at the correct time based on the dating scan.

It can be all very daunting but you've come to the right place to get answers to some questions

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FamilyLove For This Useful Post:

Chyna  (18-12-2015),Shamam77  (26-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamam77 View Post
    Hi Peeps,
    I recently (last week) found out that I am pregnant, possibly 7 weeks or so. I'm older than most (38) and this will be my first. To be honest I am a little bit freaked out! Myself and my partner have no idea what to expect with pregnancy and I've mostly had my head in the sand, as I've been quite career driven.

I've just had my first set of blood results, and will be having my first scan in approximately 3 weeks. We are super excited and have not yet shared our news other than with my employer. My job is super busy and stressful and I needed some leeway and understanding for scans and tests etc.
    I'm struggling as my doctor hasn't really explained much . I think this scan is to screen for DS, but when I called to make the apt they said the date my doctor gave me was too early. I called my doctor back and he scoffed and said, have the scan, we can determine from it how far you are along and if you need to go back in a couple of weeks so be it.

I'm extremely naive with this! all the terminology is foreign to me, and since I've not told anyone yet, I've really no-one to talk to.

Sorry for the long post, any reassurance would be appreciated.
    First of all, Congratulations on your pregnancy. I am also 38, 25 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child but it's been 10 years since my last and this is my partner's first baby.
    Like others have said, this scan will be your dating scan, so your Estimated date of delivery can be accurately determined and also to see how far along you are. The Nuchal Transparency test is done at around 12 weeks, this is the one where they test your odds for your baby having chromosonal defects, like Downs Syndrome which will be recommended due to your age. Now is probably a good time to go on a pregnancy multivitamin, and I take an extra iron tablet because being pregnancy tends to make me a little anemic.
    Elavit is probably the best to go on, which is what i take, because the pharmicist told me it is the only registered and proven multivitamin. Just remember, you aren't alone. The forum is here for preggers women to seek support and advice, and just to chat if you need to. Congratulations again!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marchbundle For This Useful Post:

Shamam77  (26-11-2015),~Marigold~  (25-11-2015)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Congratulations!
    It sure is a very surreal experience, a lot to get your head around and can feel quite overwhelming at times. But also such a joyous and exciting time in your life 😃
    I'm a massive bookworm during pregnancy and love reading the ones that detail every change and milestone as you progress. Two of my favourites are "What to expect when you're expecting" and also a book called "Every woman ".
    Good luck!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

Chyna  (18-12-2015),Shamam77  (26-11-2015)