+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    As I said, everyone is different, kids are different. What someone may not enjoy, someone else might. What your kids wouldn't be happy with mine would be.
    Of course you know your kids best. You asked for opinions and I gave mine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well, this took an unexpected turn...pretty sure if it was anyone other than the op there wouldn't be so much judgement in the posts.
    I disagree with the op on lots of things, but she has clearly stated she wants to pay her niece. Plenty of hubbers have said they babysat/nannied in their teens....this is no different.
    And really, no one has the right to judge the reasons behind the niece leaving school. School is not for everyone...she sounds like a teen with good work ethic and family support. I'm sure she'll be fine.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (26-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    $150-$200 a week.
    I pay the teenager next door $10 a day just to jump the fence and feed our cat when we are away.
    Looking after three kids all day, definitely worth three times more than that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Well, this took an unexpected turn...pretty sure if it was anyone other than the op there wouldn't be so much judgement in the posts.
    I disagree with the op on lots of things, but she has clearly stated she wants to pay her niece. Plenty of hubbers have said they babysat/nannied in their teens....this is no different.
    And really, no one has the right to judge the reasons behind the niece leaving school. School is not for everyone...she sounds like a teen with good work ethic and family support. I'm sure she'll be fine.
    You know what? I'm somewhat shocked to be writing this but I agree.
    The niece wants to do this, flights are being paid for and she will be paid (I think $250 a week is reasonable) and the OP is open to her not being happy.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Full House  (26-11-2015),KitiK  (26-11-2015),Sonja  (25-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    I was thinking the same. She's 16, just finished school and ready to go out into the big world. She wants to be a hair dresser, not to be effectively rented out for free by her mother to pay back her sister. I'm trying not to be inflammatory but didn't know how else to sugar coat it.

The OP mentioned she may need her past the 5 weeks, I'm thinking that's pretty much guaranteed given the cost of cc vs the niece.
    Oh wow your so far off the mark it isn't funny!

Ds3 is enrolled to commence daycare when the centre reopens after the new year. Due to daycare staff shortages he may not be able to until new staff have commenced. But if he does get a start when the centre reopens he will go there even though my neice will be here and I could leave him with her. I've never been fussed about the cost of daycare fees. I wouldn't not send him to daycare if he has a place. Ds1 and ds2 will be in school come February. If ds3 still wasn't able to start daycare come Feb and my neice was happy to stay and help me out she will, if not I would take annual leave. If he does get to start daycare and my neice wants to stay with us and get a job she is more than welcome too.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (26-11-2015),misskittyfantastico  (25-11-2015),Sonja  (25-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I think the OP has given plenty of good reasons why this situation is a win win for everyone.

I'd love to have this level of support. I really hope it works out over the break.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Full House  (26-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default What do you think is a fair price.

I'm finding this thread interesting... I have been discussing with my aunt and uncle for a while now about the possibility of my 15 year old cousin flying over to London next summer to stay with us and 'help' with our toddler. She's ridiculously excited about it, the London part and the looking after DS part as she LOVES him (and he her, we are currently staying with them for Thanksgiving). My arrangement would be a lot more casual in terms of helping as I would be home anyways but with a new baby. My aunt and uncle let me live with them for a while when they were newly married and I was 18 having just moved to the city to go to uni so for me it's an opportunity to return their very kind gesture. I would give her money for helping but I guarantee that herself and her parents will say it's not necessary, that the experience of coming to London plus spending time with DS is enough.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 26-11-2015 at 00:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a lovely idea OP. I adore my sister's kids and if they wanted to come hang out & babysit they'd be more than welcome, and I know they'd never look at it as a paid childcare job.

I'm sure she'll have a great time with her little cousins and you guys will figure it out as you go. Good luck to her on her hairdresser traineeship.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I think its a lovely idea.

I helped my sister with my nephew when I was 17 or so (she was very sick with the next baby so I looked after my nephew while she was in hospital and on bedrest for a month)

It was hard work - but I did enjoy it.

I agree with the others who said compare it to an au-pair.

I would be going with around $150 per week plus food and board. She is family, doing it because she loves you and wants this oportunity for a bit of independance etc - and for the fact that she will have less duties than an au-pair. You arent expecting her to clean, to drive the kids around etc, then I would have thought $150 is a good balance.

Good luck with it - sounds like a win-win for all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Hi OP

I would be discussing this with your niece and leaving her mother out of it (she has given her consent for her daughter to go)- your niece is the 'employee' after all.

I would offer $250/wk and see how she feels about it. She is legally old enough to work.