+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Depending on the child.. the oldest one is usually the easiest and helps out with the younger two kids so I don't know how that'd be much of a help.

Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Since you said your eldest would have come to work with you anyway, can you still do that and she'll only be left with 2 kids?.

I wouldn't factor in the cost of the airfare, she's coming down primarily to babysit your kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    It would mean less responsibility and the ability to pay her less. Given the OP has worked out her holiday/CC costs based on only 2 kids then 3 in care would be a grand a fortnight. In which case she could either afford to pay her more and still save a fortune or take one with her like she said to planned to, and bring the cost down.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would pay her $250 a week at least. That's a huge responsibility for a 16 year old. Caring for a 15 month old and a 4.5 year old plus maybe a 7 year old is a lot of work.
    I'm really surprised that a 16 yr old doesn't use the Internet and that she is expected by her mother to care for small children for no payment over her whole holidays.
    And that it's ok for her to drop out of school and maybe stay with you to get a job as a hairdresser.
    Guess everyone is different but I feel uncomfortable about the whole thing but then I know nothing about your family.
    Either way I would pay her that's a given.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Personally I'd just make sure she's happy, sounds like you're giving her an opportunity to be where she wants to be location wise and with most evenings and weekends free she's got time to do her own thing. If she has no income give her some but if she's getting centerlink maybe just make sure she has enough and top her up as she needs, she sounds like a mature young lady I'm sure you can work things out.
    My sisters in laws are also in their teens and they love looking after the kids, I never pay them but I make sure they're fed and they can stay anytime (tough home life) they also use our second car on weekends, it's a give and take you're family.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ciaomamma For This Useful Post:

littleriv  (26-11-2015),misho  (25-11-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (25-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    besides which I have helped my sister in law a lot over the past 16 yrs with my 4 nieces and nephews.
    I don't think this is relevant. You helping your SIL doesn't mean her 16 year old hold owes you a discount for babysitting.
    - apologies if I have misunderstood your comment

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

delirium  (25-11-2015),GlitterFarts  (25-11-2015),SSecret Squirrel  (25-11-2015),Wise Enough  (25-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I don't think this is relevant. You helping your SIL doesn't mean her 16 year old hold owes you a discount for babysitting.
    - apologies if I have misunderstood your comment
    I was thinking the same. She's 16, just finished school and ready to go out into the big world. She wants to be a hair dresser, not to be effectively rented out for free by her mother to pay back her sister. I'm trying not to be inflammatory but didn't know how else to sugar coat it.

The OP mentioned she may need her past the 5 weeks, I'm thinking that's pretty much guaranteed given the cost of cc vs the niece.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Janesmum123 View Post
    I would pay her $250 a week at least. That's a huge responsibility for a 16 year old. Caring for a 15 month old and a 4.5 year old plus maybe a 7 year old is a lot of work.
    I'm really surprised that a 16 yr old doesn't use the Internet and that she is expected by her mother to care for small children for no payment over her whole holidays.
    And that it's ok for her to drop out of school and maybe stay with you to get a job as a hairdresser.
    Guess everyone is different but I feel uncomfortable about the whole thing but then I know nothing about your family.
    Either way I would pay her that's a given.
    yes exactly... Everyone is different, interesting responses as to how people view family in regards to expectations and payment etc. Guess maybe some are closer to their family or value them more. Not sure. It isn't about the money for K, she's happy to help and just spend time with her nieces and nephews but I want to pay her! She will do lots of different things with them and they will have a lot of fun. I know that if it was my other SIL who was coming up to do it she would not hear of being paid to spend time with her nieces and nephews, she would appreciate that time. Perhaps our family is unique, we are happy to support and look after each other in times of need.

And personally I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to leave school and get a job. At least she is keen to work. I left school in year 10 and my first job was in a coffee shop which I stayed in for 3 years then I went into other hospitality workplaces before choosing my career and studying at 20, I don't see the point in forcing a child to stay at school if they don't want to be there. If the child has the right attitude as I am sure my niece does she will be fine.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (25-11-2015),littleriv  (26-11-2015),misho  (26-11-2015),The Mediocre Mumma  (28-11-2015),VicPark  (25-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Whilst we don't have much family close by, we do have family we can count on if we absolutely need it, but I would NEVER expect anybody in our family to look after our kids for that amount of time. Paid or not.

I don't think it is fair on a16 year old to be looking after 3 children of those ages. They might think it will be all fun and games but the reality is it would be bloody boring. I would not want to be stuck in house without access to a car for 5 weeks and I know for a fact that my 3 kids would go nuts being stuck close to home for that long even though we have 5 awesome playgrounds within walking distance, that just wouldn't be enough to entertain my 3 kids for 5+ weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all for their comments and feedback. Will see how it all pans out when she arrives. She may love it, she may get bored, she may enjoy the change and be happy to stay longer than planned. When she is ready to go home I will book her ticket home. She's my neice, I love her to bits and she is welcome to stay as long as she likes, I will help her any way I can. I have a few job prospects in mind for her if she decides to stay when school does start back. ☺

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

misho  (26-11-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (26-11-2015),VicPark  (25-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Whilst we don't have much family close by, we do have family we can count on if we absolutely need it, but I would NEVER expect anybody in our family to look after our kids for that amount of time. Paid or not.

I don't think it is fair on a16 year old to be looking after 3 children of those ages. They might think it will be all fun and games but the reality is it would be bloody boring. I would not want to be stuck in house without access to a car for 5 weeks and I know for a fact that my 3 kids would go nuts being stuck close to home for that long even though we have 5 awesome playgrounds within walking distance, that just wouldn't be enough to entertain my 3 kids for 5+ weeks.
    As I said, everyone is different, kids are different. What someone may not enjoy, someone else might. What your kids wouldn't be happy with mine would be.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (25-11-2015)