+ Reply to Thread
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Christmas question - from an atheist.

I feel like this question has been asked before - possibly by me - but I'm looking for book suggestions about the Christmas story. If it includes how/other cultures celebrate at this time of year, so much the better.

Dh and I are atheists, but growing up in Australia, Christmas is an important cultural icon/celebration for us. I do want our dd who is 6 to know the origin story, but I am mindful of how I tell her about it and that some books might present things in a very absolute way, iykwim.

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Sub. We are in the same situation but have no idea atm how to handle it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Honestly I wouldn't over think it. If you have some independent book shops in your area they might be good but all the Christmas books I've owned include the story of the birth of Jesus. I have told my kids that a person called Jesus was born a long time ago and many believe he is the son of God. I've told them that DH and I don't believe that but that it's a common belief in Australia.

It hasn't caused any issues for any of my kids (only my 6 and 10 year old have ever shown any curiosity about it).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Honestly I wouldn't over think it. If you have some independent book shops in your area they might be good but all the Christmas books I've owned include the story of the birth of Jesus. I have told my kids that a person called Jesus was born a long time ago and many believe he is the son of God. I've told them that DH and I don't believe that but that it's a common belief in Australia.

It hasn't caused any issues for any of my kids (only my 6 and 10 year old have ever shown any curiosity about it).
    Yeah, you are wise. For some reason I just feel the need to have some supporting materials.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ... And she has come home from school telling me that 'Jesus is the son of God' so that moved along the discussion about 'some people believe this, but Mummy and Daddy believe something else'.

I am in 2 minds about this. She goes to a state school, I always knew that they would be doing Christmas stuff, but I also stipulated in her enrollment form that she was not to be involved in RE or chaplaincy activities.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    ... And she has come home from school telling me that 'Jesus is the son of God' so that moved along the discussion about 'some people believe this, but Mummy and Daddy believe something else'.

I am in 2 minds about this. She goes to a state school, I always knew that they would be doing Christmas stuff, but I also stipulated in her enrollment form that she was not to be involved in RE or chaplaincy activities.
    But even at a state school the kids will talk about Christmas and what they understand about it. My son is at kindy at a state school and the teachers basically gave them a very rough explanation of the birth of Jesus and how some people believe certain things. As our teacher explained they know a little bit of the story and have questions.

I reckon it's one of those tricky areas for state schools.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My partner and I are not religious in any way however I respect everyone's beliefs. My girls just started a new school about two months ago when we moved and I asked each of them when I was enrolling them if they wanted to do RE. My youngest said no and my eldest said yes. She is curious about God and religion and finds it interesting and so I decided it's not up to me to tell her what she can believe in, even though, like I said, I am not religious. We celebrate christmas but to us it's more festive celebrations rather than the religious meaning. I wouldn't really look into it too much like someone else said. Kids ask questions, my daughter asks many lol, some I wonder how the hell did you think of these lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My eldest is 3, and at the moment I just tell her that "some people believe", "Christians believe", "the story goes" etc.
    Whenever we're using/talking about something symbolic of Christmas, I try to look up its origins and symbolism, and talk to her about where it's from (Christianity, Paganism, not specifically connected with a belief system etc.).
    In fact, it's a similar approach as we use with Santa... Talk to her about the stories and traditions and let her figure out for herself what she believes.