+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the comment of domestic violence starting with control is that the perpetrators do what they do because they feel they have lost/or don't have control of the situation they are in. When they don't feel they are in control, they abuse their partner (whether verbally, emotionally, financially or physically).

SuperGranny is online now Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was out last night, but I will watch tonights show, and try to catch last nights show when I get home today. this such an important topic to try to understand. marie

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    Well worth watching.

The lawyer for the ex... "I put it to you that you caused these injuries yourself because you were intoxicated". Man... I know we need to have legal representation for everyone, but how any decent person must feel putting that to a victim of domestic violence. It's so transparent; like "she walked into a door".

Relevant, given this is all around white ribbon day; some of the women who have likely died due to domestic violence this year:
    http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-1...e-safe/6728826
    Don't blame the lawyer - they have to say that. It's some bs rule where if the defence is putting forward evidence (ie he says she injured herself while she was intoxicated) then the defence lawyer must put that to the witness in their cross examination. If that's the story he wants to go with, the lawyer had no choice. It's a ridiculous story to be sure but it's certainly not the lawyer's fault that his client is an idiot.

I was a lawyer in the family court so I've seen and heard it all. Sometimes we have to represent people we would prefer not to represent but that's the job. We can't have a system where lawyers get to be judge and jury.

And on the topic, it is scary how often domestic violence happens in all walks of life. It's scary how often those around the victim don't even know it's happening. You probably know somebody who is in an abusive relationship even if you don't realise. Its time we all start talking about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I recognise perps have a right to a defence. But not one that openly tries to make the victim the perpetrator of giving a false statement, purjury and twisted enough to do something like that.

I'm not having a go at lawyers in general. I know overall you are humans wanting to make the world a better place while providing for your families. But that is seriously F'ed up

This is a very sensitive subject for me given my childhood, but these men make me livid. And sick. God help one of my sons if they turn into an abuser.
    Last edited by delirium; 25-11-2015 at 18:06.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaM View Post
    Don't blame the lawyer - they have to say that. It's some bs rule where if the defence is putting forward evidence (ie he says she injured herself while she was intoxicated) then the defence lawyer must put that to the witness in their cross examination. If that's the story he wants to go with, the lawyer had no choice. It's a ridiculous story to be sure but it's certainly not the lawyer's fault that his client is an idiot.

Oh, absolutely. I don't blame the lawyer, just think that it must be awful to have to say that to a victim.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is awful. It's why I left the profession. I believe in the legal system and people's right to a defence but I just don't want to have to be the one defending them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TeaM For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (26-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Why do they have to use accusatory wording like I put it to you that what you are saying is false blah blah? Especially to victims of dv? They've probably already had years of crazy accusations of lying thrown at them. I just don't think they should be allowed to structure their cross examination in such an intimidating manner. Ask all the questions you want but to just accuse the victim of lying? I don't get it. Luckily I've never had to go to court that first episode was worse than any court drama I've watched!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    Why do they have to use accusatory wording like I put it to you that what you are saying is false blah blah? Especially to victims of dv? They've probably already had years of crazy accusations of lying thrown at them. I just don't think they should be allowed to structure their cross examination in such an intimidating manner. Ask all the questions you want but to just accuse the victim of lying? I don't get it. Luckily I've never had to go to court that first episode was worse than any court drama I've watched!
    I get where you're coming from however lawyers accusing a witness/victim of lying/not knowing the facts is a key part of Defending someone. If lawyers can't accuse someone of lying then that's like cutting their balls off and the whole legal system will collapse. Yes victims may be more at ease however the number of falsely accused people being convicted will probably go through the roof.

Not sure what the answer is.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

tb2  (27-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I get where you're coming from however lawyers accusing a witness/victim of lying/not knowing the facts is a key part of Defending someone. If lawyers can't accuse someone of lying then that's like cutting their balls off and the whole legal system will collapse. Yes victims may be more at ease however the number of falsely accused people being convicted will probably go through the roof.

Not sure what the answer is.
    As horrible as it is I agree with this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I watched both episodes today. I was appalled at how little responsibility the men in jail - who were soon being released and supposedly been rehabilitated - took for their actions. I have no doubt those men will find themselves in the same situations again.

Kate's story was devastating too.