+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    304
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked
    237
    Reviews
    0
    I think the comment of domestic violence starting with control is that the perpetrators do what they do because they feel they have lost/or don't have control of the situation they are in. When they don't feel they are in control, they abuse their partner (whether verbally, emotionally, financially or physically).

  2. #12
    SuperGranny's Avatar
    SuperGranny is online now Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    sunshine coast qld
    Posts
    6,158
    Thanks
    4,566
    Thanked
    2,746
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was out last night, but I will watch tonights show, and try to catch last nights show when I get home today. this such an important topic to try to understand. marie

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    137
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked
    142
    Reviews
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Renn View Post
    Well worth watching.

    The lawyer for the ex... "I put it to you that you caused these injuries yourself because you were intoxicated". Man... I know we need to have legal representation for everyone, but how any decent person must feel putting that to a victim of domestic violence. It's so transparent; like "she walked into a door".

    Relevant, given this is all around white ribbon day; some of the women who have likely died due to domestic violence this year:
    http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-1...e-safe/6728826
    Don't blame the lawyer - they have to say that. It's some bs rule where if the defence is putting forward evidence (ie he says she injured herself while she was intoxicated) then the defence lawyer must put that to the witness in their cross examination. If that's the story he wants to go with, the lawyer had no choice. It's a ridiculous story to be sure but it's certainly not the lawyer's fault that his client is an idiot.

    I was a lawyer in the family court so I've seen and heard it all. Sometimes we have to represent people we would prefer not to represent but that's the job. We can't have a system where lawyers get to be judge and jury.

    And on the topic, it is scary how often domestic violence happens in all walks of life. It's scary how often those around the victim don't even know it's happening. You probably know somebody who is in an abusive relationship even if you don't realise. Its time we all start talking about it.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,848
    Thanks
    6,202
    Thanked
    16,895
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I recognise perps have a right to a defence. But not one that openly tries to make the victim the perpetrator of giving a false statement, purjury and twisted enough to do something like that.

    I'm not having a go at lawyers in general. I know overall you are humans wanting to make the world a better place while providing for your families. But that is seriously F'ed up

    This is a very sensitive subject for me given my childhood, but these men make me livid. And sick. God help one of my sons if they turn into an abuser.
    Last edited by delirium; 25-11-2015 at 18:06.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    2,730
    Thanks
    1,522
    Thanked
    1,960
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaM View Post
    Don't blame the lawyer - they have to say that. It's some bs rule where if the defence is putting forward evidence (ie he says she injured herself while she was intoxicated) then the defence lawyer must put that to the witness in their cross examination. If that's the story he wants to go with, the lawyer had no choice. It's a ridiculous story to be sure but it's certainly not the lawyer's fault that his client is an idiot.

    Oh, absolutely. I don't blame the lawyer, just think that it must be awful to have to say that to a victim.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    137
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked
    142
    Reviews
    4
    It is awful. It's why I left the profession. I believe in the legal system and people's right to a defence but I just don't want to have to be the one defending them.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to TeaM For This Useful Post:

    babyno1onboard  (26-11-2015)

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    976
    Thanks
    546
    Thanked
    343
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Why do they have to use accusatory wording like I put it to you that what you are saying is false blah blah? Especially to victims of dv? They've probably already had years of crazy accusations of lying thrown at them. I just don't think they should be allowed to structure their cross examination in such an intimidating manner. Ask all the questions you want but to just accuse the victim of lying? I don't get it. Luckily I've never had to go to court that first episode was worse than any court drama I've watched!

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    12,708
    Thanks
    9,558
    Thanked
    12,691
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyamum View Post
    Why do they have to use accusatory wording like I put it to you that what you are saying is false blah blah? Especially to victims of dv? They've probably already had years of crazy accusations of lying thrown at them. I just don't think they should be allowed to structure their cross examination in such an intimidating manner. Ask all the questions you want but to just accuse the victim of lying? I don't get it. Luckily I've never had to go to court that first episode was worse than any court drama I've watched!
    I get where you're coming from however lawyers accusing a witness/victim of lying/not knowing the facts is a key part of Defending someone. If lawyers can't accuse someone of lying then that's like cutting their balls off and the whole legal system will collapse. Yes victims may be more at ease however the number of falsely accused people being convicted will probably go through the roof.

    Not sure what the answer is.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

    tb2  (27-11-2015)

  11. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    2,057
    Thanks
    2,311
    Thanked
    1,390
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I get where you're coming from however lawyers accusing a witness/victim of lying/not knowing the facts is a key part of Defending someone. If lawyers can't accuse someone of lying then that's like cutting their balls off and the whole legal system will collapse. Yes victims may be more at ease however the number of falsely accused people being convicted will probably go through the roof.

    Not sure what the answer is.
    As horrible as it is I agree with this.

  12. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,269
    Thanks
    2,955
    Thanked
    1,410
    Reviews
    4
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I watched both episodes today. I was appalled at how little responsibility the men in jail - who were soon being released and supposedly been rehabilitated - took for their actions. I have no doubt those men will find themselves in the same situations again.

    Kate's story was devastating too.


 

Similar Threads

  1. *trigger warning* recent domestic violence.
    By mummymaybe in forum News & Current Affairs
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-09-2015, 12:09
  2. Domestic Violence and Gender
    By BH-KatiesMum in forum Social Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16-03-2015, 12:38

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Softmats
With so many amazing reversible designs, the soft and cushioned Premium Bubba Mats are the perfect space for all the family. Not only do they look fantastic; you can also enjoy the quality and comfort for years to come.
sales & new stuffsee all
True Fairies
True Fairies is the first interactive website where children can engage and speak with a real fairy through the unique webcam fairy portal. Each session is tailored to the child, and is filled with enchantment and magic.
Visit website to find out more!
featured supporter
Carmels Beauty Secrets
An online beauty and wellness site which offers simple and effective time saving methods and tips which help you look younger for longer.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!