+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I'm not sure how being maternal vs paternal equates to different expectations from men and women?
    Women cheating has never seemed any different in my mind to men cheating whether they are parents or not.
    I guess I just don't think that anyone that is unfaithful, male or female, mother or father can be put into a box in terms of why they are unfaithful, how they feel about their actions etc...
    I haven't seen the show you mention, but maybe she's just a douchcanoe? Her gender or the fact that she has children doesn't really have to come into it.
    I hope I don't sound hostile or argumentative (having a bad day!)
    But yeah, I'm not sure why it's "worse" if a woman who has children is unfaithful vs a man?
    Yeah, she is a douchcanoe!! Lol!

You're right, I shouldn't be labeling it as a maternal thing. I guess in watching the show it just made it really feel like she was turning her back on her son, which I couldn't imagine.

Again, definitely not saying it's worse if a mother does it over a father, just more exploring the different feelings they would have about what they have done. If that makes sense?!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (24-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moosey View Post
    Yeah, she is a douchcanoe!! Lol!

You're right, I shouldn't be labeling it as a maternal thing. I guess in watching the show it just made it really feel like she was turning her back on her son, which I couldn't imagine.

Again, definitely not saying it's worse if a mother does it over a father, just more exploring the different feelings they would have about what they have done. If that makes sense?!
    It was awful watching it and watching her son too, I had some pretty strong emotions and choice adjectives throughout it. I could never, ever imagine leaving my DS like that so it seemed so alien and unnatural to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Did you get what the lie was? Still not sure I got it? @moosey

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Did you get what the lie was? Still not sure I got it? @moosey
    I haven't watched the final ep yet. Hoping to watch tomorrow. I'll let you know!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to moosey For This Useful Post:

babyla  (24-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I made it part-way through the first episode and then turned it off. The characters just annoyed me, and it didn't seem realistic that she'd see this guy and at first sight fall so hopelessly in love that she'd sacrifice everything else. Meh.
    Last edited by Gentoo; 24-11-2015 at 21:25.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is it that some people think women (or mothers) should be held to a higher 'standard' than men? That's kinda how it feels. Man cheats, family splits and it's kind of like meh same old story nothing to see here. Woman cheats, family splits and it's a scandal, all like tut tut how could she do that to her family. Cheating happens for all kinds of reasons in all kinds of relationships.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (25-11-2015),Mokeybear  (26-11-2015),trustno1  (26-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Women who cheat (who have kids)

Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    Is it that some people think women (or mothers) should be held to a higher 'standard' than men? That's kinda how it feels. Man cheats, family splits and it's kind of like meh same old story nothing to see here. Woman cheats, family splits and it's a scandal, all like tut tut how could she do that to her family. Cheating happens for all kinds of reasons in all kinds of relationships.
    Well said. Exactly my view on this.

I recall someone in a long term relationship whose husband had cheated saying that "cheating is easy, staying faithful is hard". I never really got it but now I've been married for a very long time I see what she meant.
    Last edited by Sonja; 24-11-2015 at 21:52.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Women who cheat (who have kids)

I loved this show, it's a great modern adaptation of Anna Karenina. I loved that Anna was so flawed and raw, she spends all her time grieving over her lost relationship with her son, angry at her lover for the mistakes she made, while completely neglecting her love child. She has so many layers, she's a brilliant character.

I also cannot imagine risking my family for a love tryst (but perhaps it was not love as evidenced by his relationship with the singer). It does raise interesting questions though, do women find it harder to separate themselves between lover and mother? Are the consequences greater for women than men?

It's a thought provoking story!

Eta: I think the beautiful lie was the lie she told herself - that she could have it all and then she would be happy. Skeet tells her at the end that she is never satisfied, she's never happy with what she has. She's extremely self destructive. Just my interpretation!
    Last edited by Pearlygirl; 24-11-2015 at 23:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    The "Lie" I think, is that she believed her physical/sexual attraction for the other man was love when it wasn't.

Her feelings led to her choice of having the affair & ending her marraige knowing she'd have to leave her son too. Yes...the husband alienated the son from her to punish her.

The guilt she felt at what she'd done particularly the pain she'd caused her son & his rejection of her spilled over into her relationship with the new man thus destroying any real chance they may of had in making a go of things.

Once she realised that it wasn't love her guilt became all too much for her to live with sadly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't seen this, but maybe it should come with a big SPOILER ALERT?