+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Morning After Pill $

Someone I was talking to today told me they recently had to pay $30 for a morning after pill. I was shocked! I am sure I remember it being free when I had to get one in 1999.

So that got me wondering:

Would you support the MAP being free, or at least free to, say, women with healthcare cards and teenagers?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yes. But then I think all contraception should be.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

harvs  (24-11-2015)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Definitely. $30 could be make or break for some. And you've only got the 72 hour window, so it's not like "I'll just wait until pay day"... you need it ASAP and it makes me wonder how many women are putting off getting it due to the price.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

harvs  (24-11-2015)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes absolutely. Free, safe, accessible.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

harvs  (24-11-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    @Moxy do you include condoms in that?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    Yes. But then I think all contraception should be.
    This. And associated dr visits for scripts and iud etc insertion should be bulk billed too.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mkj For This Useful Post:

harvs  (24-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes. I am another who thinks all contraception, and associated appointments should be free also. I would include condoms on this too... but I know that there would be a sudden increase in people wasting them - using them for balloons, etc. I guess benefits outweigh costs there though.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

harvs  (24-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I worked in a pharmacy many years ago while I was in uni. It was about $30 back then too (early 2000s). This is when it first became a pharmacist provided medication rather than needing a script from the GP. People would treat it like normal contraception. We had one girl who would basically come in after every time she'd had sex. It got to a point where the pharmacist put his foot down and told her off (in a kind way, not a grouchy way). It's emergency contraception. I don't think it should be free, but I do think it's good it's widely available now which it never used to be. My understanding is that if you go to a family planning clinic it's provided free, just not if you go to a private pharmacy.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

harvs  (24-11-2015)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    I worked in a pharmacy many years ago while I was in uni. It was about $30 back then too (early 2000s). This is when it first became a pharmacist provided medication rather than needing a script from the GP. People would treat it like normal contraception. We had one girl who would basically come in after every time she'd had sex. It got to a point where the pharmacist put his foot down and told her off (in a kind way, not a grouchy way). It's emergency contraception. I don't think it should be free, but I do think it's good it's widely available now which it never used to be. My understanding is that if you go to a family planning clinic it's provided free, just not if you go to a private pharmacy.
    Woah...that girl either had very little sex or was loaded! To use it that often, for the pharmacist to feel the need to intervene, must have been an expensive sex life for her...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

harvs  (24-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In the pharmacies I work in the map is sold for $30-40. But if it wasn't available OTC the customer would be paying for a GP app + script so I do think it makes it more accessible.
    I think it's free from a sexual health clinic but there are not a lot of them around.
    On one hand I think all contraception should be free, but then again I don't think people really value things they get for free! Maybe every woman gets concessional rates for birth control ($6.10 per 3-4 months) would be an idea?

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (24-11-2015),harvs  (24-11-2015),Mad84  (24-11-2015)