+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bond Girl View Post
    His point about no release is because we don't have much sex as it is, and he often feels discomfort as a result of that as he's not ejaculating enough. He thinks if he has the procedure and is not getting rid of live sperm, as it's being reabsorbed into the body, he'll feel like that constantly. I said that can't be true or all men who have it done would get that discomfort from not getting rid of the live sperm. .
    I think they recommend that they ejaculate 20 times in the first two months or so after the procedure (can't remember exactly what it is) and then they test to ensure there are no more swimmers - tell him this, might convince him that it will be okay, especially if you are willing to help!. I felt just like you, didn't want to have to take the pill forever, my DH had the procedure earlier this year, it wasn't all that pleasant for him, but nothing that lasted more than a week or so.
    Good luck convincing him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlsRock View Post
    I've never ever heard of anyone saying there's 'no release'. It's like he thinks his penis will blow up and explode or something. Anyway, FWIW my DH had a vasectomy one day and I flew interstate the next day leaving him home with 2 kids for 3 nights. It was done in the urologists office, he was back home within 90mins, he had minimal bruising, needed panadol for 24 hours, and was totally back to normal a week later. I've got no idea how you get him on board, but good luck.
    Exactly this without the interstate trip bit.

OP, sounds like your DH is very uneducated and/or misinformed about how vasectomies work. An appointment with a GP would be a good first step for him.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My dp had it done 5 days ago so is still in recovery. Fair bit of bruising and discomfort but not too much pain. The uroligist said only 10 ejaculations before he should be cleared, and gave him a cup to collect after 10 and take to the drs.
    Can't comment on the build up discomfort yet. I think we're both pretty anxious to see how things go once he's back in the saddle.
    How long did other people wait before resuming sexual activity?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oh and the uroligist did say that in some very rare cases, some men do have discomfort in the testicles from sperm build up (basically blue balls) but that it goes away once its reabsorbed

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DH had the snip at the start of the year. He had discomfort for 2 days and was out building our pool fence after that. I just asked him and he said there's no difference whatsoever to what he feels ejaculation-wise, or in any way for that matter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tell him to get it done to prove his point and then if he's right he can say he told you so

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

GirlsRock  (24-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think your DH is being a d*** (pun intended).

You've already put your body on the line in a big way three times, and it's unfair to expect you to continue doing so either through another pregnancy, through hormonal contraception or through a tubal ligation. A vasectomy is a much simpler, much less risky procedure than a tubal ligation and doesn't carry the long-term risks associated with the pill (eg. DVT), so it's really the sensible option. I can understand why you're disappointed that he won't step up for both of you this time.

Is there a chance that the underlying reason for.his reluctance is that he feels like it might somehow diminish his masculinity or manhood?

DH just had a vasectomy last week, and while he's a bit sore ATM, it's less than the pain of carrying and giving birth twice! We obviously can't yet say what it's like longer-term, but the evidence of millions of men is that it's no different.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gentoo For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (24-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tell him it's condoms every time then!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JustJaq For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (24-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My dad had it, he had a few days of discomfort and then all was good.
    It did naturally reverse itself after 4 years though and they had a surprise baby (7th pregnancy!).
    Dad snipped again and mum got her tubes tied (it was recommended for other reasons).

H and I have discussed it, he is dead set against getting the snip. I don't know why, and he can't really explain it, but no way would I consider pressing the issue as he is that against it.
    I won't use contraception after 35, as I don't want to having been on it since age 14.
    Neither of us like condoms.
    At the moment, we haven't discussed it, as there is still a few years to go (I'm 27 and this is our first bub) and things change.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by JustJaq View Post
    Tell him it's condoms every time then!
    Or no sex... but that would suck for you too.