+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Rochedale South
    Posts
    421
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked
    148
    Reviews
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashfirst View Post
    My sister is a prep teacher in qld and she said that if she had a son that was one of younger ones a June baby that she would hold him back a year. She said she sees too many kids (boys especially) that are just not ready and it turns into them hating school and never improving.
    We did this with our 2nd son who is a June Baby. Daycare put pressure on us saying he was ready for school when I knew in my heart he wasn't. We sent him and he ended up doing Prep again. My eldest child is also a June boy but we held him back from starting school so he didn't need to repeat.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Beljane For This Useful Post:

    Urban Tumbleweed  (23-11-2015)

  3. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,505
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked
    113
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beljane View Post
    We did this with our 2nd son who is a June Baby. Daycare put pressure on us saying he was ready for school when I knew in my heart he wasn't. We sent him and he ended up doing Prep again. My eldest child is also a June boy but we held him back from starting school so he didn't need to repeat.
    Can I ask how you approached the conversation with your son about repeating Prep? This is what makes me most nervous, I keep imagining his little face when we tell him and it breaks my heart 😣

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Rochedale South
    Posts
    421
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked
    148
    Reviews
    2
    We are lucky he is a very easy going child. We sat him down and said that sometimes we have to try more than once to get things right and that's ok. We explained what was going to happen the next year and that he would get to meet lots of new friends as well as still play with his current friends at lunch time (Luckily he was at a small private school where this was possible). He seemed to except it.

    We did have a few instances where he got upset about not being in class with his old friends but by 2nd term it was like nothing had changed and it was all just natural.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Beljane For This Useful Post:

    Urban Tumbleweed  (23-11-2015)

  6. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,008
    Thanks
    779
    Thanked
    774
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would only repeat if the school feels he will "catch up" with an extra year.

    I have a child with a learning disability who struggles at school, however the thought is that my child could keep on repeating year after year and still be behind. The school have implemented a modified curriculum instead (which I am not happy with) but there really isn't any other alternative.

    As you mentioned he has known hearing and eyesight problems I would also make sure you are on top of them before considering repeating as they will undoubtedly be contributing to his learning difficulties.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 23-11-2015 at 20:39.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

    Urban Tumbleweed  (23-11-2015)

  8. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,505
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked
    113
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beljane View Post
    We are lucky he is a very easy going child. We sat him down and said that sometimes we have to try more than once to get things right and that's ok. We explained what was going to happen the next year and that he would get to meet lots of new friends as well as still play with his current friends at lunch time (Luckily he was at a small private school where this was possible). He seemed to except it.

    We did have a few instances where he got upset about not being in class with his old friends but by 2nd term it was like nothing had changed and it was all just natural.
    Thank you that's very helpful. My DS is also in a small private school and would be able to play with his old friends at lunch time too so I'm glad to know that it was helpful for your son. Did your son catch up during his second prep year and do you think it was worthwhile keeping him back?

  9. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Rochedale South
    Posts
    421
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked
    148
    Reviews
    2
    It was very worthwhile for him @Urban Tumbleweed. He was always very enthusiastic and gave it a go in his first year of Prep. The 2nd year he found his stride and did very well, we definitely did the right thing. He still did struggle with reading but we found out this year he has Convergence Insufficiency and a few other issues after seeing a Behavioral Optometrist. Since getting his glasses he has been reading his brothers chapter books! A huge leap for him (he is in grade 2)

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Beljane For This Useful Post:

    Urban Tumbleweed  (24-11-2015)

  11. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,505
    Thanks
    141
    Thanked
    113
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Beljane View Post
    It was very worthwhile for him @Urban Tumbleweed. He was always very enthusiastic and gave it a go in his first year of Prep. The 2nd year he found his stride and did very well, we definitely did the right thing. He still did struggle with reading but we found out this year he has Convergence Insufficiency and a few other issues after seeing a Behavioral Optometrist. Since getting his glasses he has been reading his brothers chapter books! A huge leap for him (he is in grade 2)
    That's excellent, well done to him and you. One of my DS's teachers mentioned that it would be worthwhile covering all our bases and book him in for a proper eye test with a different sort of eye specialist (the proper name escapes me but it wasn't someone just tests vision, they measure the direction that the eyes go in or something similar). I'll find out the name and book him in, I'll also take him along to his ENT to check his grommets as one has fallen out and could be affecting his hearing. He's also booked in to have a new speech and language assessment done over the holidays. If we keep him back, I want to make sure he has the best chance to catch up.

    Thanks for sharing your experience, it's given me a lot to think about

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Urban Tumbleweed For This Useful Post:

    Beljane  (24-11-2015)


 

Similar Threads

  1. Sending a child back to school after flu?
    By LouLaa in forum General Child Health Issues
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 26-08-2015, 13:51
  2. How much is the back to school allowance?
    By Little Ted in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 14-07-2015, 19:40
  3. Have you repeated your child at school. ?
    By musicalmummy in forum General Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 24-01-2015, 19:16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Nice Pak Products
Australian Made and Owned. The Baby U Goat Milk Skincare range is enriched with soothing goats milk sourced from country, Victoria. Goat's milk has a pH level close to that of our own skin and contains natural sources of amino acids and vitamins.
sales & new stuffsee all
Wendys Music School Melbourne
Wondering about Music Lessons? FREE 30 minute ASSESSMENT. Find out if your child is ready! Piano from age 3 years & Guitar, Singing, Drums, Violin from age 5. Lessons available for all ages. 35+ years experience. Structured program.
Use referral 'bubhub' when booking
featured supporter
KindyROO
KindyROO offers activities for babies & toddlers in a fun learning centre, focussing on developmental education. Classes are available at three Brisbane and two Gold Coast locations. Enrol today & help your child to reach their full potential. Visit the website to find out more.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!