+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Traditions and gifts for children for Christmas?

Now, everyone will have different budgets, but just thought it might be nice to share around some ideas.
    We don't spend too much on presents themselves but are trying to create some memorable traditions for the kids.

What gifts have you bought this year that you think are a great idea and what special traditions have you begun with your children?

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We've bought DS a swing set that we're probably not going to set up until we move next year.
    And also a ride on tractor the same as Daddy's!
    Our focus this year was on outdoor things that will last more than just the next 12 months.

We hope DS will enjoy Christmas as much as we love it. well DH is slowly coming around! I hope he sees it as a time for family and spending time together. I'm going to ask family not to buy DS toys this year and instead get clothes or books or nothing at all is fine too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (23-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm going to start a Christmas eve tradition with DD this year. Although she's 3 she still doesn't really understand but that's okay.
    You give a present on Christmas eve for unwrapping. .
    Christmas pjs
    A christmas story to read at night
    Outfit for Christmas day

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (22-11-2015),Little Ted  (23-11-2015),TheGooch  (22-11-2015)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    I'm going to start a Christmas eve tradition with DD this year. Although she's 3 she still doesn't really understand but that's okay.
    You give a present on Christmas eve for unwrapping. .
    Christmas pjs
    A christmas story to read at night
    Outfit for Christmas day
    I really like this idea @Tamtam especially the jamas and outfit idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We do a Christmas Eve box that gets delivered late afternoon Christmas Eve by the elves.

It has in it pyjamas, a dvd to watch that night and some popcorn. There is also a letter from the elves reminding the kids that Father Christmas is on his way and they need to make sure they get to bed early.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 2giraffes For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (22-11-2015),Leettieb  (22-11-2015),MrsMummaButterfly  (22-11-2015),Tamtam  (22-11-2015),TheGooch  (22-11-2015),wobbleyhorse  (22-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Xmas is a month long celebration in our family !

Because we do elf on the shelf, on December 1st we get our tree delivered, the elf comes back and brings DS a pressy either pj,s , book or Christmas ornament or something Christmassy so DS gets at least a few weeks to play/read/wear the things ( he's getting pjs and a stuffed Grinch teddy this year from the Elf) and then of course we decorate the tree

I also put out on the 1st December every years santa photos which is fun to see how much he's grown/changed , as he's only had 5 Christmases I also put out his santa cousin photos ( both sides of our family get santa photos with all the cousins )

This year I'm getting some xmas prints of the Grinch story made ( he loves Dr Seuss and loves the Grinch story ) so I'll hang those up for the month and I have all of those old Frosty, Rudolph and Santa Claus DVD,s that I used to watch as a kid and we watch them every weekend in December leading up until xmas

We started doing the kmart wishing tree gift last year so in December we will go and pick a present for DS to give to another child

DH is making DS a lego table to store and play with all his lego as he's now obsessed with which I think will be really special as DH made it for him

Xmas eve we make Santa some brownies and put out orange juice and water out for the reindeer , Santa ( my dad!) calls every xmas eve to talk to DS and his cousins which they love

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

lifewith2  (22-11-2015),Little Ted  (23-11-2015),MissSparkles  (23-11-2015),wobbleyhorse  (22-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GucciDahling View Post
    I really like this idea @Tamtam especially the jamas and outfit idea.
    I read it somewhere and thought that's cute.
    I like the idea of adding a movie to it too! @2giraffes

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

2giraffes  (23-11-2015),TheGooch  (22-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    DD is only 2, so not many traditions yet. I am going to do the 25 books advent calendar this year. I have been buying Christmassy books for a few months. They will get wrapped and put in a box under the tree. Each night we pick a new book to read.

I like the wishing tree idea, might start that as well.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJ Nette For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (23-11-2015),wobbleyhorse  (22-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Traditions and gifts for children for Christmas?

DD is 2. We have 24 xmas books that she can choose from for her bedtime story starting on Dec 1st. We have a different xmas craft each day to do. Her elves come out to play. We read night before Christmas on 24th. Put out the carrot and cookies etc, and put the key on the front door. We have a load of Xmas films that we put on instead of abc. We have Xmas pjs. I'm making a load of clothes that are Christmassy for DD to wear in December. We go out for a meal on Xmas eve so there isn't any washing up to do lol.

I love the idea of the different Santa pics next to each other! Definitely going to start doing that :-)
    Last edited by LaDiDah; 22-11-2015 at 20:56.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (23-11-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We also bring out all the santa photos. I love seeing how much dd has grown and now we have ds.
    Every year the kids get to pick an ornament and i write their name and year on it.
    We also do the wishing tree. And pack boxes of food for shelters to make hampers

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Purple Poppy For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (23-11-2015)